PDA

View Full Version : I need to change the front left engine mount of my ZD30.

mudski
4th May 2012, 09:04 AM
I have ordered the mount and will/ hopefully be getting it today. I'm going to have a crack at doing it myself. By the looks of things its near impossible to access any part of it front the top, but there looks to be two bolts, from the mount to the engine that will be a pain to undo...

mudski
4th May 2012, 05:52 PM
Well four hours later and many colourful words sprayed about it's done. Glad I won't have to do that again.
For anyone thinking of doing it i'll leave a quick low down on the procedure...

undo and remove the two lower nuts 14mm and one top nut 17mm on the mount to be changed
undo and remove just the top nut 17mm on the other engine mount
undo and remove the lower nuts 14mm on the transmission mounts
(this alows for the trans and engine to be lifted up together without any stress on the mounts by stretching them.
lift the engine using your jack, make sure to add a nice big strong piece of wood in between the jack and engine to spread the load bearing weight of the engine on the jack
you will need to lift the engine basically as high as it will go before you push the engine through the transmission tunnel :)
The left mount, has an L shaped plate which is bolted to the engine block, to make removal easier, these need to be undone 14mm bolts ( what a PITA it is to undo, wait until you have to do them back up...)
the mount should drop out with a bit of twisting as its fairly broad and it will hit against the block and chassis plate
Once out drop the new mount in, making sure you have it position the right way. There is an arrow on top of the mount showing you the right way.
then front the top under the hood put the top plate on the mount and just put the mount nuts on a few threads
Next is the painful task of putting the four bolts back in. This took me a while to master as the two top bolts you can barely even see. I managed to get the top two in from the side ( under the hood, just above the chassis rail ), I went in blind but going from top to under the car I managed to guide the bolts in with the socket and small extension and a bit of blue tack on the bolt head so it wouldn't fall out :)
The bottom two you can get in by hand and tighten them up at the end with the spanner.
Carefully lower the engine back down making sure all the engine mount studs on both sides align up.
Tighten the nuts on the engine mounts
Tighten the nuts back up on the transmission mounts
Your done.

In my opinion, if your not real mechanically minded, don't do it. I am relatively mechanically minded, having played with Patrols 15 years ago and also prime movers, I was confident in doing it.
Also have a backup plan if it turns to shit and you can't get the mount back in. Also if you have a mate that can help it would make things easier as I found myself constantly going from underneath the car to under the hood. An extra set of hands for have been handy.

Cheers.

growler2058
4th May 2012, 06:02 PM
Glad youve got it sorted mate. Wouldn't wanna be paying a mechanic four hours to do it ay!!

Tappin N Crappin

mudski
4th May 2012, 07:03 PM
The funny thing is the mechanic only quote $90 to fit it, plus the cost of the mount. At the price i would have got him to fit it but I kind of wanted to have a crack myself.

growler2058
4th May 2012, 09:27 PM
HAHAHAHa bummer oh well still saved yaself $90 can treat ya sedlf to a beer or four ;-)

Gas_Guzzler4800
5th May 2012, 11:59 AM
yep done them before at our workshop. First one saw many colourful words. Next few werent as hard after that. You just gotta hold your tongue a certain way hehe

Swerve
1st June 2012, 09:40 AM
Sorry to hijack your thread but can I get your opinon om my mount as still searching the web to confirm what is normal or not :)

Hi all,

My 2010 TB48 makes a weird noise under hi tourque situations, like a rubbing bearnoise, I still cant work out how to even explain it.

Anyhow I'm watching/ listening everything om the car trying to work it out. I might be paranoid but I notice my transfer know moves to the front right and up about 10mm when taking off ? I have a video of it and I'm certain it aint normal ?

http://youtu.be/4BYUGZh39bE

Also this one from under the car

http://youtu.be/Wf88v0Zpfj8

I can get the movement when idle and hold the brake, rev alittle in drive. Was thinking might be able to see it from under the car ?

Just crawled under and checked the rear mounts with a pry bar, all seem ok. Fronts seem to be hollow with shock tensioner holding it ? is this normal ?

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/208974_10150864054868282_546833281_9813159_1879516 965_n.jpg

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/197739_10150864054173282_56388984_n.jpg

Well four hours later and many colourful words sprayed about it's done. Glad I won't have to do that again.
For anyone thinking of doing it i'll leave a quick low down on the procedure...

undo and remove the two lower nuts 14mm and one top nut 17mm on the mount to be changed
undo and remove just the top nut 17mm on the other engine mount
undo and remove the lower nuts 14mm on the transmission mounts
(this alows for the trans and engine to be lifted up together without any stress on the mounts by stretching them.
lift the engine using your jack, make sure to add a nice big strong piece of wood in between the jack and engine to spread the load bearing weight of the engine on the jack
you will need to lift the engine basically as high as it will go before you push the engine through the transmission tunnel :)
The left mount, has an L shaped plate which is bolted to the engine block, to make removal easier, these need to be undone 14mm bolts ( what a PITA it is to undo, wait until you have to do them back up...)
the mount should drop out with a bit of twisting as its fairly broad and it will hit against the block and chassis plate
Once out drop the new mount in, making sure you have it position the right way. There is an arrow on top of the mount showing you the right way.
then front the top under the hood put the top plate on the mount and just put the mount nuts on a few threads
Next is the painful task of putting the four bolts back in. This took me a while to master as the two top bolts you can barely even see. I managed to get the top two in from the side ( under the hood, just above the chassis rail ), I went in blind but going from top to under the car I managed to guide the bolts in with the socket and small extension and a bit of blue tack on the bolt head so it wouldn't fall out :)
The bottom two you can get in by hand and tighten them up at the end with the spanner.
Carefully lower the engine back down making sure all the engine mount studs on both sides align up.
Tighten the nuts on the engine mounts
Tighten the nuts back up on the transmission mounts
Your done.

In my opinion, if your not real mechanically minded, don't do it. I am relatively mechanically minded, having played with Patrols 15 years ago and also prime movers, I was confident in doing it.
Also have a backup plan if it turns to shit and you can't get the mount back in. Also if you have a mate that can help it would make things easier as I found myself constantly going from underneath the car to under the hood. An extra set of hands for have been handy.

Cheers.