PDA

View Full Version : New Garage- recommendation for manufacturers and tradies in Brisvegas please

Silver
3rd May 2012, 11:39 PM
G'day,

Finally getting a shed for Silver and the Sedan, and associated, er, stuff, camping gear etc. Getting some quotes on shed, slab and erect at this stage

thinking of something around 7.5 x 7.5m and tall enough to accomodate 2.7m roller doors.

looking for recommendations on manufacturers, the franchise that sells the shed, concretor for slab, erector for shed, sparky to upgrade mains to house and other issues, plumber, retaining wall crowd.

Keen in a way to use the concretor and erector that the shed crowd suggest in case there are issues - or am I jumping at shadows?

Also demo including 20 sheets of asbestos on the existing carport walls.

All Brisbane Northside -

Thanks, Rick

megatexture
4th May 2012, 02:10 AM
we got a carport from this mob they were good to deal with i installed it all myself but they make kits and they have ppl that can install it for you, great for matching roof tiles but cheeper option 90% of ppl dont even pick it at our place till we tell them , not 100 % they do garages though but if you want to match tiles they can supply the roof only also.
http://www.coroofs.com.au/installation-manual

if you need blockwork done call peter bennit on 0409 511 255 and if it needs rendering he will give you my details haha

Ade
4th May 2012, 02:28 AM
That sounds great Rick. I had to park my trol unshaded. Missus Xtrail and the ute took all the shady space..

Silver
4th May 2012, 02:42 AM
yes Ade, it will be good. might keep the rust away a bit longer.

Also consolidating the gear -camping and recovery, in the one place next to the vehicle will also be nice :-)

Megatexture, thanks!

Ade
4th May 2012, 02:52 AM
Rick,

Wouldn't you be considering a sort of simple hoist to lift you roof rack and leave it hanging there when you need to take it off your trol? Its a set up that I luv to have in my future garage...

megatexture
4th May 2012, 02:59 AM
Rick,

Wouldn't you be considering a sort of simple hoist to lift you roof rack and leave it hanging there when you need to take it off your trol? Its a set up that I luv to have in my future garage...

ive been thinking of doing the same ! i need one for the roofrack and one for planks/ trestles on my hilux so i can lift them all off in one hit, was thinking a boat trailer winch seen a cheep one that pulls like 900kg that would be plenty.

Ade
4th May 2012, 03:31 AM
Yup, that would be good thing to have in the garage ay...
something like this..

Bigrig
4th May 2012, 05:26 AM
Being I was a concreter, happy to form it up for you and assist pour to save you a bucket of money!! A mate of mine (owns his own business) would supply materials etc, but for that size slab could probably save you a fair few hundred??

Offers there for the taking ...

Silver
4th May 2012, 06:30 AM
Thanks BigRig for your very generous offer. I know you are very busy with work and family.

P.M. sent

Bigrig
4th May 2012, 06:38 AM
Thanks BigRig for your very generous offer. I know you are very busy with work and family.

P.M. sent

No worries mate - haven't received the PM??

Just at the airport about to fly to Canberra. Lucky boy!!! lol

Silver
4th May 2012, 06:45 AM
PM's just gone - I over promised and under delivered :-)

A day in Canberra for your sins..... could be a bit nippy, not that you'll be out in it much I suppose.

At least at this time of year fog isn't too much of an issue (or is it now?) so you can do the early bird flight rather than an overnighter.

macca
4th May 2012, 08:15 AM
Silver, a problem we had with the doors is clearance when open.
If you have 2.7mts when open you are laughing. We have 2.4 clearance with a 2.7 wall, wish we got 3.0mtr walls.
The door doesnt allway roll up tight so have to be carefull with loaded vehicles.
Make sure the roof can support your rack if you are going to lift it off, a great idea and keeps it out of the way as well.
Good luck with it all mate.

Finly Owner
4th May 2012, 11:09 PM
Rick, Give Scenic Sheds a call and Let them know Tim from Jimboomba Hire sent you and they might be able to lok after you. Another very reliable mob is Garage World (southside).

If Scott, helps with slab, I'd be willing to help out with chopper, screeds, and floats etc if needed.

Tim

MQ MAD
5th May 2012, 09:19 AM
The main issue youll encounter is the massive variation in costs.....
Do you want a basic portal framed design , or do you want studded walls for future lining ???
I helped build a 7.3M x 7.3M shed, the slab material alone was 1K and the shed 2nd hand cost 2.5K , plus alotta beer (mainly for me) to build
The mates mum built a 6M x 9M shed , slab coucil fees ect and was near 20 grand
IF you dont have contacts to help or mates who will turn up when you want the help, do the whole job thru a shed builder,ring around and see what fits your budget
I dont know anyone id recomend, as theres , as i mentioned massive variation in costs, and i dunno your budget

A cheap way is to use others assistance (like big rig,finly) maybe throw the line out for others , go do a owner builders course (few hungie),buy a basic kit,put the beers on and a good feed and itll be done ALOT cheaper than anyone

All depends if you have the time to organise this or you have the money to just pay someone

Yendor
5th May 2012, 01:08 PM
Rick, I can give a hand if you go down the DIY path.

ozzyboy
5th May 2012, 06:55 PM
<== ex concretor, few concreting tools. be happy to give u a hand :)

ozz

NissanGQ4.2
5th May 2012, 07:06 PM
<== have 2 weeks experience labouring for a concreting mob ( got sacked *LMAO* ), don't think I would be that much help 2 you Rick but I'll be happy to fly up and give u a hand.............................................. .................................................. ...............................................dri nking beers

Bigrig
6th May 2012, 05:55 PM
Looks like we've got the labour sorted for you Rick. Well done lads!!! I'll call tomorrow to organise a time to come and inspect the site ...

ozzyboy
6th May 2012, 08:14 PM
on another front, how much asbestos you got there? less than 10m2? or more?
if more, i recommend logan demolitions. cheap/ quick / and with care.
Less than 10m2, get an asbestos bin and we can do that also

ozz

dan&tamspatrol
6th May 2012, 08:22 PM
hey guys if you are going to remove the asbestos yourselves id recommend a mask with a particle filter

Bigrig
6th May 2012, 08:57 PM
hey guys if you are going to remove the asbestos yourselves id recommend a mask with a particle filter

Nope, that part can be done by professionals - not into plating with glass like fibres in my skin and lungs ...

dan&tamspatrol
6th May 2012, 08:59 PM
its a pig of a job ive done it b4 g8 money tho

ozzyboy
6th May 2012, 09:06 PM
<== offered because .... i know what i am doing :P
got to be less than 10m2 to be legal tho

ozz

Silver
6th May 2012, 11:02 PM
thanks all, I really appreciate the offers of advice and assistance. I'll be in contact when we have progressed a bit!

there is more than 10 sq metres of asbestos, and I'd be reluctant to put anyone through that risk.

BigRig - thanks for coming up tomorrow - we are breakfasting with El and Jason down the road at 9:30. Will I put on another serve for you? Will obviously fit in with your plans, I'll send a pm with address and contact details - so they are in the one spot for you

Bigrig
7th May 2012, 09:43 AM
thanks all, I really appreciate the offers of advice and assistance. I'll be in contact when we have progressed a bit!

there is more than 10 sq metres of asbestos, and I'd be reluctant to put anyone through that risk.

BigRig - thanks for coming up tomorrow - we are breakfasting with El and Jason down the road at 9:30. Will I put on another serve for you? Will obviously fit in with your plans, I'll send a pm with address and contact details - so they are in the one spot for you

Thanks old mate - will call shortly as I just got up (two late nights in Canberra caught up with me - getting old!!! lol).

Won't be there for brekky (all 6 of us just ate), but will organise a time for today. If we can pour from the chute that'll be heaps easier, but I'm sure we can find a barrow boy if needed ... not me though, that sounds like hard yakka!!! lol

I did a 76 sq metre slab for another mates entertainment area (you guys met him - Hempo in the silver BT50), and the cheapest quote he got was just over $4000 - we got it done for just under $2000 (concrete being the lions share of that, but on a mates account) so yours should work out being pretty cheap due to the size.

I think the trucks are limited to 6.7cube these days, so if yours is just over (which it sounds like it will be), then we'll split it on two small trucks and make our lives easier).

Oz

You want to head over with me?? I can get all the formwork and sheeting if it needs to be capped (depending on fall of the ground), steel, chairs, plastic, edgers, trowels, nail gun, laser level, etc from a mate (still have some, but not enough to go around) unless you have the gear.