PDA

View Full Version : intercooler

tony78
30th April 2012, 06:19 PM
hey blokes.just wondering if anyone can tell me the best thing to use the intercooler and pipes with and what would be causing oil build up in the pipes.any help would be appreciated

ZD30
30th April 2012, 10:42 PM
Hi Tony78,

If it's the ZD30 motor your talking about it would be the crankcase vent which comes of the top of the rocker cover and plumbs in to the air intake just before the turbo. This vent a nice oily mist which is then sucked back in through the turbo, intercooler and intake manifold resulting in the oil buildup your seeing in the intercooler and piping. I have installed a catch can as many have which plumbs in before the crankcase vapour goes back into the air intake to stop this from occuring. Some use a supercheap catch can stuffed with steel wool or a air oil seperator such as provent.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PRO-VENT-200-CRANKCASE-BREATHER-PROVENT-4WD-/261014128326?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cc5a786c6

45/70
1st May 2012, 10:53 AM
Hi Tony78,

If it's the ZD30 motor your talking about it would be the crankcase vent which comes of the top of the rocker cover and plumbs in to the air intake just before the turbo. This vent a nice oily mist which is then sucked back in through the turbo, intercooler and intake manifold resulting in the oil buildup your seeing in the intercooler and piping. I have installed a catch can as many have which plumbs in before the crankcase vapour goes back into the air intake to stop this from occuring. Some use a supercheap catch can stuffed with steel wool or a air oil seperator such as provent.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PRO-VENT-200-CRANKCASE-BREATHER-PROVENT-4WD-/261014128326?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cc5a786c6

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^x2
To clean out your intercooler remove and flush it out with some kero and let it drain for a while b4 re-fitting.

tony78
1st May 2012, 07:18 PM
thanks for the replies.does anyone have any pics of the catch can installed on a zd30????

ZD30
1st May 2012, 09:11 PM
thanks for the replies.does anyone have any pics of the catch can installed on a zd30????

http://chaz.yellowfoot.org/Intercooler%20Fan.htm

Have a look at Chaz's website he has a few picks of his install on there.

mudski
2nd May 2012, 11:01 PM
Sorry to jump in but what is the best way to check the intercooler for leaks?
Edit : Also could I use turps to clean out the intercooler? I have gallons of the stuff here....

ZD30
3rd May 2012, 12:45 AM
Sorry to jump in but what is the best way to check the intercooler for leaks?
Edit : Also could I use turps to clean out the intercooler? I have gallons of the stuff here....

Remove the engine cover and inspect the corners of the cooler core, they normally leak in the corners first where they are crimped on to the end tanks. You will notice the corners look dirty with oil residue where it has been leaking. This can happen on both sides of the cooler top and bottom. They are also prone to leaking where the engine cover rubs on the the tubes of the cooler core, normally starting from the corner closest to the fuel filter. I have spaced mine up on this corner with flat washers as it only touchs the first few tubes in the core ever so slightly but enough to rub holes in it over time.
Use turps, kero , degreaser or house hold detergent anything that will desperse oil, just make sure you rinse it out thoroughly and leave it to dry completely. I even stick the wifes hairdryer in one end for about 15 minutes just to make sure it's completely dry.

Cheers

Jason

mudski
3rd May 2012, 08:50 AM
Thanks champ. I'll be doing that today. Looking at your sig you have a nice setup there.

tony78
3rd May 2012, 04:37 PM
thanks for the advice zd30.will be getting a catch can next week then onto the dawes valve next.will slowly get everything done.