PDA

View Full Version : newbie here, what does GU and VII means ?

Ronin
30th April 2012, 02:57 PM
hi all, just signed up as I will be in market for a Patrol soon. Just starting to get a hang of model no etc and not sure what all these mean ?
GU VI
GU VII
Y61, Y62
ST and Ti etc.

thanx a lot, any pointers to a FAQ would be good too.. cheers.

the evil twin
30th April 2012, 03:06 PM
hi all, just signed up as I will be in market for a Patrol soon. Just starting to get a hang of model no etc and not sure what all these mean ?
GU VI
GU VII
Y61, Y62
ST and Ti etc.

thanx a lot, any pointers to a FAQ would be good too.. cheers.

GU VI is GU series 6 (roughly 2008 and 09)
GU VII is GU series 7 (roughly 2010 and 11)
GU VIII is GU series 8 (the current one with difflocks etc)
Y61 is the Nissan designator for what is the GU model in Australia
Y62 is the new Patrol due soon
Y60 is the Nissan designator for the GQ Patrol
ST and Ti are equipment levels (roughly speaking DX is base, ST is mid range, Ti is top of the wozza)

AB
30th April 2012, 03:14 PM
Welcome to the forum mate, feel free to ask any questions and join in the conversations.

growler2058
30th April 2012, 04:05 PM
G'day mate welcome aboard gotta friendly mob here fulla great info and advice

Tappin N Crappin

wildgu6
30th April 2012, 04:26 PM
G'day & welcome aboard mate
Great lot here with tons of advice and adventures and experiences,
Hang around, ask away and Join in where ever you feel comfortable.

GU Meens Gutsy Unit
GQ meens Gone Queer lol

Let's just wait, back soon, gone fishin

Enjoy, Cheers Pete

Yappa tappa doo

Yappa tappa doo

Tweakedoffroad
30th April 2012, 04:28 PM
G'day mate welcome aboard great bunch with some good info and advice here so feel free to jump in and contribute were you can

Bigrig
30th April 2012, 04:56 PM
G'day mate and welcome aboard - great people, information and laughs to be found on here, so join in to make the most of it!!!

Enjoy!!

Ronin
30th April 2012, 04:59 PM
WOW !! so many friendly replies.....thanx a lot for the welcome..... I was fully expecting to get chewed up and told to RTFM....

so is it worth waiting for the new Patrol or is the current one just fine... I have a small family.. 2 adults, 2 young kids. Would like to take them to beach and real offroad once I get a real 4wd.

thanx again.

Sir Roofy
30th April 2012, 05:05 PM
Welcome aboard mate enjoy your stay

Bigrig
30th April 2012, 05:06 PM
WOW !! so many friendly replies.....thanx a lot for the welcome..... I was fully expecting to get chewed up and told to RTFM....

so is it worth waiting for the new Patrol or is the current one just fine... I have a small family.. 2 adults, 2 young kids. Would like to take them to beach and real offroad once I get a real 4wd.

thanx again.

Budget will be the first major factor, and as you've said already, what you want to do with it. Are you looking at new?

Ronin
30th April 2012, 05:23 PM
Budget will be the first major factor, and as you've said already, what you want to do with it. Are you looking at new?

budget is about flexible. Obviously if I can save a penny then definitely I would like that.

yeah prefer new as I like to keep it for atleast 10 years... my current honda is 10 years old.

is there is huge difference between the Y61 and the upcoming Y62 ? (I almost sound like a forum regular lol), if not then I guess there will be drop in price of the Y61 when the Y62 is released.

growler2058
30th April 2012, 05:31 PM
G'day & welcome aboard mate
Great lot here with tons of advice and adventures and experiences,
Hang around, ask away and Join in where ever you feel comfortable.

GU Meens Gutsy Unit
GQ meens Gone Queer lol

Let's just wait, back soon, gone fishin

Enjoy, Cheers Pete

Yappa tappa doo

Yappa tappa doo

I thought GU was GURLY (to quote Clunk) hahahahahahahaha ;-)

MudRunnerTD
30th April 2012, 05:39 PM
budget is about flexible. Obviously if I can save a penny then definitely I would like that.

yeah prefer new as I like to keep it for atleast 10 years... my current honda is 10 years old.

is there is huge difference between the Y61 and the upcoming Y62 ? (I almost sound like a forum regular lol), if not then I guess there will be drop in price of the Y61 when the Y62 is released.

Hey Ronin, Welcome to the forum mate,

Yes we are a friendly bunch.

Dont wait for the new model mate, grab a GU8 with diff locks and go for it. The new Y62 may not be here for a while and when it does arrive will be sold into our market beside the current model rather than instead of it. The New Y62 has gone all soft and runs 4wheel independent suspension and looks tidy but will not be as tough as the current stuff. Go for it mate.

The Y62 has been on the market in UAE for a couple of years running a big 5.6 V8 Petrol but we will Never see that here and there is no news on what engine we might see so dont hold your breathe.

The GY61 is the toughest drive train available on the market and the Front Diff is a winner. If you are buying new then look at a steel winch bar for the front and a front Diff Lock as an option and run a mock!

Have fun and welcome here bud.

wildgu6
30th April 2012, 05:40 PM
I thought GU was GURLY (to quote Clunk) hahahahahahahaha ;-)

Bah humbug, Gurly, Gnarly, Gutsy, still rox in the bush, Q U it's still a Troll and they rock. Wondered how long before I got a bite hahaha Cheers mate

Yappa tappa doo

growler2058
30th April 2012, 06:15 PM
No worries Pete but seems im in a Goes Quick good luck landing me hahahahahhaha im on a ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuunnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Dhuck
30th April 2012, 06:27 PM
Welcome to the forum mate

Ronin
30th April 2012, 09:06 PM
so something like this would be ok ?
http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/demo/details.aspx?R=12260138

is there anything missing in the spec that I need to factor in ?

Bigrig
30th April 2012, 09:16 PM
so something like this would be ok ?
http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/demo/details.aspx?R=12260138

is there anything missing in the spec that I need to factor in ?

Wow!!! Nice choice to have mate. You can't really go wrong - throw in the usual price haggle, maybe a snorkel, tinted windows, and some decent all terrain tyres and you're set!!!! When I bought my last GU (brand new - 2004), I ended up leaving the price as was, but got a heap of gear thrown in (all the above, plus floor mats, weather-shields, etc).

Half your luck old mate ... go for it!!!!

Finly Owner
30th April 2012, 10:03 PM
Hi and welcome to Nissans Nut House Ronin

Tim

Ronin
1st May 2012, 01:16 PM
Wow!!! Nice choice to have mate. You can't really go wrong - throw in the usual price haggle, maybe a snorkel, tinted windows, and some decent all terrain tyres and you're set!!!! When I bought my last GU (brand new - 2004), I ended up leaving the price as was, but got a heap of gear thrown in (all the above, plus floor mats, weather-shields, etc).

Half your luck old mate ... go for it!!!!

Its listed at 58K , roughly how much can I bring the price down ?

taslucas
1st May 2012, 01:20 PM
Bah humbug, Gurly, Gnarly, Gutsy, still rox in the bush, Q U it's still a Troll and they rock. Wondered how long before I got a bite hahaha Cheers mate

Yappa tappa doo

Nobody likes a fence sitter!!

Tap, crackle, pop

kowalski
1st May 2012, 05:48 PM
hello and welcome, Ronin. what i don't get either, is the model naming for GQ/Y60/GR. also if i remember correctly, there are different sub-forums for each of these models here. arn't they basically the same, just different selling countries?
cheers
seb

Ronin
1st May 2012, 06:59 PM
hello and welcome, Ronin. what i don't get either, is the model naming for GQ/Y60/GR. also if i remember correctly, there are different sub-forums for each of these models here. arn't they basically the same, just different selling countries?
cheers
seb

yeah they definitely dont make it easy for someone new to Nissan. There should be a cheat sheet for the model numbers, year of build and the feature set I guess.

Maxhead
4th May 2012, 11:44 AM
G'Day and welcome to the forum mate

taslucas
4th May 2012, 01:28 PM
cheers
seb

Basically there's the Y60 (GQ) then the Y61 (GU- Australia, GR- Europe) and now the Y62 which has been released overseas but is yet to get to Australia.

There's a thread called "Nissan patrol family tree" in the Nissan patrol general chat thread. It has some interesting info. Sorry I can't paste the link as I'm on tappatalk.

Tap, crackle, pop

twisties
4th May 2012, 02:53 PM
What I'd like to know is a list of all the differences between the different GU series'... But perhaps that's for another thread.

Also, Welcome :)

kowalski
8th May 2012, 07:18 PM
@taslucas: ah, now i get it, at least somehow :)
here in europe, the GQ spelling is known, but GR is also being used for the Y60's. then we have GRII which appears often for the Y61. interesting, though..

taslucas
8th May 2012, 08:25 PM
Ahhhh I did not know that about the GRII. It is very confusing!
There must be some genuine Nissan info out there that spells it all out....somewhere

Tap, crackle, pop