PDA

View Full Version : coil plus wheel spacers for GQ effect on factory springs/dampers?

kowalski
30th April 2012, 03:42 AM
hi there,
i'm about to install coil spring spacers with 50mm and wheel spacers 40mm/side on my gq. how will this affect the behaviour of the factory springs/dampers? if my logic is correct, the rebound of the dampers will be shortened of about the 50mm from the coil spacers. is there anything else, what i have to expect or keep in mind?
i've read somewhere, that it's possible to install the dampers from a y61 patrol into the y60 (GQ). those give a y60 a better lift, since the y61 is heavier and the dampers have a higher bound/rebound behaviour? would this be the better approach?
cheers
seb

growler2058
30th April 2012, 07:40 AM
I don't like the idea of coil spacers IMHO you are creating a weak link in your suspension

Tappin N Crappin

Bigrig
30th April 2012, 08:10 AM
I don't like the idea of coil spacers IMHO you are creating a weak link in your suspension

Tappin N Crappin

X2 - what are you looking to achieve mate?? It'll give ride height on road, but no off road advantage as such ...

nissannewby
30th April 2012, 12:40 PM
Wheel spacers put a great deal of load on your studs and wheels bearings etc and in aus are illegal to run. I would be straying away from wheel spacers all together.

megatexture
30th April 2012, 05:40 PM
just go a greater offset and wider rims if you want a wider stance

kowalski
1st May 2012, 05:43 AM
thanks for your impressions. since wheel spacers here in hungary aren't illegal, i'll give it a try. on one hand, i can imagine increased wearing off on theses specific parts like nissannewby said. on the other hand, this might have a bigger effect on cars with single suspension, than it would have on fixed axles.
putting it short, i think i gotta go the "learning by doing" way. i'll let you know about my first impressions.

taslucas
1st May 2012, 08:32 AM
No worries mate, post a few photos if you can. it would be interesting to see how it looks:)

mitchgq
1st May 2012, 10:46 AM
coil spacers are fine and do their job quite well... wheel spacers are nothing but trouble there is a reason some countries make them illegal, i would not want my studs breaking from exessive strain doin 100ks down the road. also bearing take a greater load with them fitted.

kowalski
2nd May 2012, 02:44 AM
@taslukas,
yeah, i'll def place some pics in my thread in the "members rides" section. i'd be happy to discuss the preos/cons about my ongoing setup.
cheers
seb

damaverick
27th January 2013, 03:27 PM
How did you find the wheel spacers? I'm thinking of fitting 32mm wheel spacers on my ride. It has 3" suspension and 2" body lift so the centre of gravity is very high, I think the wheel spacers will help improve handling but I'm just a little worried about too much stress on the wheel studs/hubs as everyone has mentioned.

damaverick
27th January 2013, 08:55 PM
Nevermind, along with the negative feedback on this thread, I saw elsewhere that not only do they add stress and create a weak point, they can also make your wheels near impossible to balance. Apparently the steering wheel shakes like crazy even if the wheels are just a tad out of balance.

I might just remove the 2" body lift, should help with onroad handling/cornering.