PDA

View Full Version : Squeaky door!

boosh
29th April 2012, 10:38 AM
My rear door is pretty damn squeaky! I think its just the locator thats the main problem.
Any easy fixes I should know about? :icon_bonk:

megatexture
29th April 2012, 12:06 PM
tried greasing it up ?

gec
29th April 2012, 12:21 PM
I use White lithium grease spray for all my hinges and locks.

http://www.3inone.com/products/white-lithium-grease/

boosh
29th April 2012, 01:25 PM
Cheers guys! I might buy some of that white lithium grease, it'd be handy to have on hand...

Bigrig
29th April 2012, 01:47 PM
I use White lithium grease spray for all my hinges and locks.

http://www.3inone.com/products/white-lithium-grease/

X2 - it's good gear ...

Bigrig
29th April 2012, 01:49 PM
My rear door is pretty damn squeaky! I think its just the locator thats the main problem.
Any easy fixes I should know about? :icon_bonk:

Is it squeaky due to the weight of the tyre and wheel?? Try throwing some tape (not much, but enough to "tighten" up the locking mechanism as it were) around the top locking bar thingy, and the one on the large barn door also .. I did that, and whilst it wears through after a while, it definitely stops the squeaks ...

GUtsy ute
29th April 2012, 01:59 PM
Is it squeaky due to the weight of the tyre and wheel?? Try throwing some tape (not much, but enough to "tighten" up the locking mechanism as it were) around the top locking bar thingy, and the one on the large barn door also .. I did that, and whilst it wears through after a while, it definitely stops the squeaks ...

Hey Biggus, Try using heatshrink on the locking bar, it lasts for ages.

Bigrig
29th April 2012, 02:03 PM

OMG!!! How obvious is that??!! lmao

Top tip old mate!!! That's exactly what I'll be doing - only just touched them up again last week!! So next time, heat shrink it is!!

Thanks boss!!

gec
29th April 2012, 04:23 PM

This may be a silly question, but how do you get the heat shrink on there, some pics would be great.

oncedisturbed
12th July 2012, 10:00 AM
reviving an old thread here but since taking the spare off the rear door on my 09 GU, thing rattles like crazy. have done the dry lube, normal grease, lithium grease and I forgets what else but no luck.

from what I can gather it the centre latch rubbing against itself (kinky) causing the rattle but no idea on how to get rid of it

alexx
12th July 2012, 03:14 PM
Mine squeaks too specially when driving under the rain. I think it is the weatherstrip that is rubbed with the body that produces the annoying sound.

boosh
16th July 2012, 11:47 AM

I got a heatshrink from etsa. The bloke just handed me a peice, didn't have to pay for it :D
The heatshrinks from etsa actually have adhesive in them so even if you have to cut it to get it on there, it'll stick to itself and not shrink away from itself... Works a charm!

Jamesandlizk
16th August 2012, 12:53 AM
Alex, I have the same issue with mine. Do u have any hints for a resolution or are you just grinning and bearing it?

alexx
5th April 2013, 11:43 PM
Alex, I have the same issue with mine. Do u have any hints for a resolution or are you just grinning and bearing it?

sorry i failed to read this tread again I didn't know you posted a Q on my post. The squeaking was solved by the shrinkable tubes but I removed it lately due to door open light warning. It didn't solved the door light issue so i'll stick some shrinks again, maybe thinner this time.

Drew
6th April 2013, 12:30 PM
So does the heat shrink help with that noise when you open or close the barn door coz lube didn't help it?

P4trol
6th April 2013, 02:33 PM
You aren't by any chance suffering from a broken spot weld (usually a crunch when it shuts) this will need some holes and bolts like this :http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/04/20.jpg

You can also see the lithium grease on the dampening arm. It wouldn't hurt to give the locking arm below a hit with the grease too as pictured here:http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/04/21.jpg
Also the other end of it.

Coldcomfort
6th April 2013, 04:16 PM
This may be a silly question, but how do you get the heat shrink on there, some pics would be great.

Good question. My GU8 does the exact same thing, as did my GU2....

alexx
6th April 2013, 04:18 PM
So does the heat shrink help with that noise when you open or close the barn door coz lube didn't help it?

not exactly the same case, the barn door squeaks only when the truck is running and it rains. the shrink holds the catch tighter. the shrink placed in there wouldn't at all help n the open-close door noise situation. hinges are to be blamed. hope i'm right.

threedogs
6th April 2013, 06:30 PM
Are the hinges worn, can you lift the door up and feel any play.
Might be as easy as drilling old hinge pin and e=inserting a bigger one..
Keep the dry grease up to it in you maintenance routine,
Hot soapy water to clean all rubbers then Tyre shine all your door rubbers inside and outside.

boosh
7th April 2013, 12:47 PM
The squeaking was solved by the shrinkable tubes but I removed it lately due to door open light warning. It didn't solved the door light issue so i'll stick some shrinks again, maybe thinner this time.

When I put the heatshrink on mine the light was coming on too. Easy fix for that is just to unscrew the button and put a washer or 2 underneath it. You only need to gain a couple of mm for it to work properly.

Yabb
13th April 2013, 01:16 PM
Graphite powder is always handy for hinges, etc.