PDA

View Full Version : GU TD42T Changing turbo - Denco to standard HT-18

AB
27th April 2012, 08:47 PM
I know someone who has a TD42T GU with the Denco turbo and wants to convert back to the standard Nissan HT-18 turbo.

From a brief look this arvo I can see...

Oil feed and drain run standard lines and banjos and flange for oil drain look the same too
Water feed and drain look standard and banjos look same size as well
Heat shield was blocking the view but exhaust manifold look standard?

The only thing I think this person needs is the HT-18 turbo and the cross over pipe. Also the standard air feed pipe has been cut and modified to suit the larger diameter of the air feed on the Denco.

Can anyone confirm the above is correct at all????

johno90
28th April 2012, 07:56 AM
If the denco used all the factory lines and manifold then the ht18 should bolt back in. What concerns me more is why would you want to go back to one.

AB
28th April 2012, 08:01 AM
It's not me mate...yeah don't quote me but I think it had something to do with not reaching ideal boost down low due to the larger turbo and although he had it properly tuned it still only kicks in up high.

That's all I know really...lol

wildgu6
28th April 2012, 08:05 AM
I reckon Kel may be able to shed some light on that Andy and a tear lol

Yappa tappa doo

johno90
28th April 2012, 09:51 AM
If he has some spare time and money, convience him to do a full upgrade on his turbo system and get some more bang happening :P

AB
28th April 2012, 09:07 PM
If he has some spare time and money, convience him to do a full upgrade on his turbo system and get some more bang happening :P

He is more than keen to keep it. I'll let him know....Cheers Johno!

nissannewby
28th April 2012, 09:16 PM
It may be as simple as getting a proper tune as with the bigger turbo the low end shouldnt really suffer the dencos arent massive compared to the stock unit and should flow considerably better at all rpm compared to the standard i have a standard turbo on my gu at the moment and find the standard one runs out of steam very easily it will soon be binned in favour of a nice td05 version

sooty_10
10th May 2012, 05:50 PM
I had a TD05 on my 2001 4.2, the week after fitting it, the car was written off :( bought the wreck from insurance as the asking price was about the cost of the turbo.... anyway best mod I did performance wise, loved it.