PDA

View Full Version : EGT probe install location 2.8TD

gbab01
27th April 2012, 06:50 PM
Hi. Just a quick one in regard to install spot for EGT gauge probe on 2.8 TD. Installing post turbo as that seems to be the go for ease of install and just a little confused as to what constitutes the dump pipe. Attached photo shows the turbo looking up from under the car. Where is the recommended spot others have used? The RED X or the BLACK X? Or any other suggestions?

I guess it is best to also get it on the upper part of the pipe to protect it a bit as well. Thanks for any assistance. Cheers.

the ferret
27th April 2012, 07:16 PM
The red x is the go mate, about 50mm from the flange on the dump pipe.(Turbo end)

This is similar to your dump pipe.
http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt164/ferret/dumppipe.jpg
Cheers, the ferret.

gbab01
27th April 2012, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. Much appreciated. Looks like that will be fun to remove!

When I got under and had a look it started to make sense (closer to the turbo the better) but great to get some confirmation from those that have done it.

I am tempted to tap in from the bottom but I think that would be a no no...?

Cheers.

the ferret
27th April 2012, 07:51 PM
Just tap it from the bottom mate, it'll be fine and easier.
Cheers, the ferret.

Snafu
28th April 2012, 12:36 AM
Drill and tap from the bottom but use a 1/4 NPT or 1/4 BSPT thread and get a stainless steel swagelok fitting to suit the thermocouple and thread.

gbab01
28th April 2012, 08:46 AM
Thanks Snafu. That is what came with the gauge so I guess I am on the right track. No point in making it harder than need be! Thanks for the quick advice guys. Cheers.