PDA

View Full Version : kowalski's "i gotta start from somewhere" patrol gq

kowalski
27th April 2012, 04:28 AM
yay,
i had a quick view on the members map. chances are i'm the first member located in hungary :D
gotta celebrate this with a cold beer.

nevertheless, i'd like to introduce my lovely patrol. she hasn't got a name until today, but i'll find something sooner or later. might as well depend in which situations we'll be together :jawdrop:

i try to make a short description, but i'm afraid this might get longer since i often tend to talk too much.

when i first came in touch with off-roaders, i was driving an eighty-something mitsubishi pajero (shogun, montero) with a 3 litre v6 petrol from a friend. from that point on i instantly was sucked in. so much fun, so much power, on the other hand: so much control needed. a few weeks later i was looking for my very first own car at the age of 30, until that point i always had the luck to drive a company vehicle. sure i never even got in the near of driving something offroad-like.
back to the car, it was a 3.3 diesel '82 datsun patrol. it looked so nice on the pics but after we arrived at the place, i was just completely shocked. putting it short, a distant look from far away from across the street was the best thing that car had to offer. the lower chassis levels around were foamed out with pu-foam and painted over, blueish-strange exhaust smoke at the exit, seemed like it was running only on 4 or 5 cylinders at best. best thing was the gear shift, when i switched from 1st into 2nd, i could clearly count every single blade of grass, cause there was a hole as big as a football through the baseplate. not to mention the frame, which was a complete mess. the funniest thing was, it was only possible to stop the engine after you put it in 5th and slowly let go the cluth :jawdrop: don' ask me how this happened or what this had to mean. if anyone has an idea, i'm open to any info on that issue.

with a sack full of experience and a bunch of sadness my friend and me went home to forget this "car" fastest possible. approximately, 2 weeks later i found another patrol. now it was another model, a '92 gq 2.8td, short. a decade younger, and much more interesting it was a quite fast decision, that i want this car. on one day at afternoon i was telephoning with the seller, at 9:00 in the morning and 600km later my buddy and i were having a first look at the car. i was sold instantly, not knowing what will await me later afterwards. seems like car purchasing is not one of my strong abilities :biggrin:
nevertheless, after switching owners, continued our journey from where we started. at half distance, we stopped at a gas station for a short break. the ex-owner showed us a fuse which we "shouldn't put back in place because it messes the electrics up". curiosity was stronger than expected and i put it in. after a few seconds the fusebox began to smoke interestingly, so we stopped the engine and took out the fuse.
from that point on i started questioning qhat the heck i did a few hours ago. restof the trip was without any complications but i was glad to be back home. first thing i gave the car to a friend who took care of the electrics. he re-wired a bunch of cables and placed them back where they belonged. now i have to clear the papers to hopefully soon being able to move it legally. the frame has a bit of corrosion at the neuralgic spots, but step by step i'll put this car back in it's glorious shape. after a bit of research i found at least 2 pre-owners of the car, from which one of them i had a nice phone discussion a few days ago. it was really cool to get infos about the history of the car specially if they are useful ones about the repairs being carried out the at last.
end ofmay we have a big international off-road festival here in hungary, so i'll be happy to join. it will be my first festival and also my first festival with my own car! i can't wait for it to happen to test the cars' abilities and mine, too :)
mods which i have planned are 5cm coil spacers and 8cm wheel spacers per axle to get them tires on the pics enough space for turning. i'll see how much this influences off-road performance, but it definetly will improve with the goodrich mud-terrain. more to come...

BLKWDW
27th April 2012, 06:28 AM
Never thought id see someone from hungry on here never the lest good stuff and welcome to the site. Not a bad shorty either mate gota be happy with it. Anyways ways look forward to wayching the car evolve and enjoy the site.

Bigrig
27th April 2012, 06:51 AM
Top write up mate and sounds like you're having a ball with it!!!

What's the 4wd scene like on Hungary??

Tweakedoffroad
27th April 2012, 11:30 AM
G'day mate welcome aboard great bunch with some good info and advice here so feel free to jump in and contribute were you can
Great lookin shorty cant wait to see more pics of it in action

Silver
27th April 2012, 11:50 AM
Welcome, kowalski!

kowalski
27th April 2012, 06:01 PM
thanks for the kind words. what i have found out from the pre-pre-owner that the engine got a complete revision at 270k kilometres. now it has actually around 300k. so i'm quite sure the engine will be the last part in my car which will fall apart :D i just love the sound of it. anyways, i've heard about overheating problems with this engine, mainly when using it a lot pulling trailers. people used to build in an oil cooler, or at least put in an intercooler. the ones from the mitsubishi pajero are said to be fitting. maybe i'll also consider a mod like this for extending the engines' life. we'll see..

@Bigrig: 4x4 scene is very "inventive" over here. you have to know, that we like to tinker around and if a part doesn't fit, well make it fit somehow :) historically, you still find here many UAZ, GAZ and such. but there's also a small but quite hardcore fanbase who build up really good cars only for competition. here and there you'll also find the usual suspects like suzies, pajeros, landcruisers and patrols of course. but after driving the first few metres in a patrol (MY patrol :) ), i knew this was going to be a beautiful friendship, haha.

can't wait for the festival, will be superb to change experience and drink a few beers and such. sure there will be some amateur trials too, where i could test myself.

kowalski
16th May 2012, 06:10 PM
finally got my car with plates back yesterday. took me too long to get it road legal, but it was worth it. now moving on with lifting and mounting normal tires :)

growler2058
16th May 2012, 07:33 PM
Dont forget the pics when ya do ya mods mate ;-)

kowalski
17th May 2012, 12:26 AM
yeah mate, pics will be delivered. stay tuned :)

Woof
17th May 2012, 12:56 AM
Very nice shorty you have there mate, bring on the photos

Richo460
17th May 2012, 09:35 AM
Good to see ya on here mate. The shorty will look awesome with the big muddies on it.

Forced Offroad
18th May 2012, 06:46 PM
szívesen látott

Love the look of the Shorty, Im a Big fan on big tyres on a small lift patrol.....
Good see our ARB all the way one in Hungary, to be honest its highly likely its cheaper there than here in AUS.... :)

Love your country, was there 1999. And the easter european women... you lucky bugger.. uuuhhhh the Blonde hair :)

aussiemale
18th May 2012, 07:03 PM
Well..anyone that celebrates with a cold beer with their Patrol deserves an automatic "welcome to the forum, bit late but better than not at all...oh..by the way..where's our Beers?"

kowalski
20th May 2012, 08:16 PM
hey mates,
thanks for your impressions. @Forced Offroad, nice to see you hanging around here. i was following your thread about your V8, man i love it. it just eats rocks like it was nothing :) so, i made a few crappy mobile pics about the actual status. somehow, the pics do not reflect the car's measures. anyway, i am liking what i see. if i could, i'd take my patty to bed with me. but yeah, i guess my girlfriend would have a slight issue with that. maybe in a strong moment i'll ask her what she thinks about a threesome :D
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/05/184.jpg http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/05/185.jpg

AB
20th May 2012, 08:30 PM
That's a great looking Shorty mate...Love it!