PDA

View Full Version : 4" or 2" ???

PyroMANIAC
26th April 2012, 09:27 PM
Hi all!
I got an injected rb30 patrol , which I am planning to turbo in the next few months. I bought the car recently and it come with a 4inch suspension lift ( i also got given the stock suspension ), I am getting car ready for RWC before it can be registered in my name, so I am not sure yet how much hassle this 4inch lift will cause......its going to mechanic for a check up tomorrow and he should tell me what needs doing.
I am planning to use it a fair bit around town, but I also get out into the bush a fair bit, however I havnt quiet discovered the whole 4x4 scene just yet, so i am not sure what will be usefull in the bush the most.
I am asking for suggestions, what would be the wisest way to go about this?
I am worried that the height, makes the car easier to roll at higher speeds or on inclines.....I do like the look and the feel of beeing in a taller car, as I drive a light truck for work.
Whats the balance point of all this?
Hope it makes sense....
cheers!!!!:icon_driving:

growler2058
26th April 2012, 09:34 PM
If ya can get reg with ya 4" id be keeping it mate. More articulation/flex the better in offroad situations

megatexture
26th April 2012, 09:37 PM
just get a dodge ticket and keep the 4"

taslucas
26th April 2012, 09:42 PM
adjustable shocks are good. You can stiffen them right up on the road or soften them before you go out 4wding for the day.
There are a few brands that do adjustable shocks. My mate has Rancho's and they are great. It only takes a minute to flick them round to soft when we're getting ready to go off road.

tappin it

PyroMANIAC
26th April 2012, 10:22 PM
Adjustable sounds good, what price range would I be looking at?
Cheers!

bschotty
26th April 2012, 10:31 PM
Might be worth giving your insurance company a ring and asking them about it... I've been going through the same debate in my head while shopping around for a GQ and decided on the 2" just to be sure that my insurance can't weasel out of a claim if I have an accident due to the car being "non-roadworthy". Insurance companies are weasels.

PyroMANIAC
26th April 2012, 10:45 PM
well that was my next concern, but I'd like to give DGA brokers a call, earlier I was reading a thread abuot these guys being very reasonable with mods, someone getting a policy for as low as 1300 if I am correct.

PyroMANIAC
26th April 2012, 10:51 PM
here is the link to that thread
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?8789-4WD-Insurance-DGA-Brokers-Melbourne&highlight=insurance+brokers

4by
26th April 2012, 10:55 PM
I'm with dga and their policy document says that you can have any modification provided you can supply an engineer certificate. Why not go 3". 4" will look high, but you might get away with 3"

taslucas
27th April 2012, 08:45 AM
Might be worth giving your insurance company a ring and asking them about it... I've been going through the same debate in my head while shopping around for a GQ and decided on the 2" just to be sure that my insurance can't weasel out of a claim if I have an accident due to the car being "non-roadworthy". Insurance companies are weasels.

Heres the link to the DGA insurance thread mate:http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?8789-4WD-Insurance-DGA-Brokers-Melbourne

I see you've already found it Pyro.

taslucas
27th April 2012, 08:46 AM
I'm with dga and their policy document says that you can have any modification provided you can supply an engineer certificate. Why not go 3". 4" will look high, but you might get away with 3"

I think he already has 4"

taslucas
27th April 2012, 08:48 AM
Adjustable sounds good, what price range would I be looking at?
Cheers!

There are a few brands that do adlustable so the prices will vary. Prbably have to check out their websites. Theres, Rancho and Tuff dog that spring to mind, and no doubt more.

4by
27th April 2012, 08:42 PM
:hpfredgeorge1:
There are a few brands that do adlustable so the prices will vary. Prbably have to check out their websites. Theres, Rancho and Tuff dog that spring to mind, and no doubt more.

Ha ha.... SPRING to mind......... :hpfredgeorge1:

megatexture
28th April 2012, 12:04 AM
ive got 45mm big bore tdog's and i cant fault them cant rember the price but ive had em 3 yrs so far and not an easy 3 yrs .

aaron
28th April 2012, 08:30 AM
4in man i run 4in dobo xxhd springs tough dog shock's and superiour traililg arms ect. fantastic off road and on