PDA

View Full Version : mad steering wobble

dan&tamspatrol
26th April 2012, 07:07 PM
well after coming back from glass house Wednesday steering wobble is much worse had a look under car and one of the panhard rod bushes needs replacing but is there anything else that i could check it happens between 65-100 and comes and goes

cheers

iansmqshotyy
26th April 2012, 09:43 PM
sounds like a seperated tyre to me, what are you running? run your hand over the tread on your front tyres and feel for a lump....

dan&tamspatrol
26th April 2012, 10:03 PM
35" big horns

iansmqshotyy
26th April 2012, 10:16 PM
id still check , but very highly unusual for maxxis to seperate, unless its had an un for seen injury . a seperation as such would be more likley in a cooper or bfg or something cheap, hpw long since theve been rotated , bighorns do have a tendenancy to heel and toe wear quite badly if not rotaeded regularly

iansmqshotyy
26th April 2012, 10:17 PM
which will cause a harmonic vibration

dan&tamspatrol
26th April 2012, 10:19 PM
they were fine when i was on the way to glasshouse its only coming back on the highway that its really violent and just change the tyres from the back to the front b4 the trip

iansmqshotyy
26th April 2012, 10:24 PM
defintly check them then, you may have hurt one while you were there and has caused a pocket of air between the case and tread plies, it su n common but not unheard of, i ve seen it a few times while i was running tyre stores...

dan&tamspatrol
26th April 2012, 10:30 PM
ok will check the tyres and post what i find.

Silver
26th April 2012, 11:38 PM
There is a spot Southbound on the Bruce/Gympie Road, whatever it is :-) just North of Bald Hills that has ruts and corrugations in the tar that get Silver a tiny bit trembly - very mild, and that's the only place it does it.

But sounds like yours is not location specific?

I had a tyre bulge once - felt it in the car from 0 kph up, clunk clunk. Stopped to check three times - what are the odds, parked on top of it each time. Found it on the 4th check, a big diagonal bulging disaster waiting to happen - bit like me really :-)

Good luck with it - hope it is just the bush you have already spotted. I suppose you'll do both sides?

dan&tamspatrol
26th April 2012, 11:41 PM
yea mate got 2 bushes coming should be here monday and yea not location specific

nissannewby
27th April 2012, 08:37 AM
They seem to have balance issues sometimes those tyres. my mate in the GU ute had the same issue was fine driving out there but mad wobble on way home, all was straight and in good working order but still wobbled and he has 33" bighorns. Another mate of mine had the same issue with 35" bighorns as they wore out he would nearly have to get them rebalanced after every trip out .

dan&tamspatrol
27th April 2012, 08:47 AM
your mate with the ute did it come and go coz mine will wobble its tits off be ok for couple of minutes then come back

nissannewby
27th April 2012, 10:50 AM
My mate with the ute couldnt get over about 40 cos it got pretty bad. However my other mate who had the 35" bighorns it would come at say 50 odd kph then disappeat then come back at about 90kph. I mean if your bushes are shagged this will contribute also so it wont do any harm changing them also check (i didnt notice if yours had one) if its an adjustable panhard that the lock nut hasnt come loose twisting her up like you did wednesday can make these come undone.

dan&tamspatrol
27th April 2012, 04:27 PM
yea doesnt have adjustable panhard i got bushes coming so ill do them and see about getting tyres balanced

aaron
28th April 2012, 08:33 AM
jack up the front and check barings and king pins bud for move ment........ !

dan&tamspatrol
28th April 2012, 09:26 AM
ok we can rule out balance issues wheel bearings have little bit of movement but nothing to bad and im assuming king pins bud are tie rod ends and they are fine will change panhard rod bushes when they come and hopefully that makes a difference

mudski
28th April 2012, 09:31 AM
your mate with the ute did it come and go coz mine will wobble its tits off be ok for couple of minutes then come back

When i got some new tyres fitted to my GU yesterday I ask the fitter about this problem and he said straight away its the panhard rod bushes.

dan&tamspatrol
28th April 2012, 09:34 AM
When i got some new tyres fitted to my GU yesterday I ask the fitter about this problem and he said straight away its the panhard rod bushes.

thats what im hoping it is as its easy fix

dan&tamspatrol
28th April 2012, 09:35 AM
funny thing left hand front was out 60 grams and right hand front was out 90 grams all good now but made no difference

dan&tamspatrol
1st May 2012, 08:01 PM
replaced panhard bushes wobble gone now pic of the stuffed bush

nissannewby
1st May 2012, 11:47 PM
My mates in the gu ute looked very similar solved his issue also however someone conned him into doing a full swivel rebuild at the cost of 700 to him (made no difference) He changed his panhard and radius arm bushes now all sweet :)

mudski
5th May 2012, 12:17 PM
Is one end of the bush pressed in? I had a quick look and it seems to be but I cant tell. Mine seem ok but for the price of them I might change them anyway. I don't have a press but i do have a decent vice...

dan&tamspatrol
5th May 2012, 12:58 PM
the ones i replaced mine with didnt need to be pressed i just used 2hammers to band them in

dan&tamspatrol
5th May 2012, 12:59 PM
here is the link to the ones i got
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NISSAN-GQ-GU-PATROL-PANHARD-CROSS-ROD-BUSH-KIT-/390397692045?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5ae584088d

mudski
5th May 2012, 01:08 PM
Yep the bush on the right end seems to have a steel casing around the bush... Left doesn't.

dan&tamspatrol
5th May 2012, 01:14 PM
how do u mean where it goes into the panhard rod

mudski
5th May 2012, 03:50 PM
Yep. I reckon the genuine bush has the steel casing around the rubber, and then its pressed into the rod end. Like torque a rod bush on semi's.

dan&tamspatrol
5th May 2012, 05:16 PM
yea think mine was the same i just used the 2 hammers one with a head small enough tho go thru there and bash that one with a bigger hammer worked for me just prop the panhard rod up on a piece of wood so the bush will pop out then to put the new bushes in i just put the bush in then did the same thing to get the metal insert into it the bush with the bigger opening is tapered as well so make sure you work out which way it goes before you put it in i didnt and had to bang it back out hope this makes sense

growler2058
5th May 2012, 05:51 PM
Far out be careful belting two hammers together they can explode and take an eye out like squashing a grape

dan&tamspatrol
5th May 2012, 05:54 PM
lol yea thats why i had the sunnys on