PDA

View Full Version : Car not starting after doing glow plugs

patrol23
26th April 2012, 03:52 PM
Hey guys my name is pip
i have recently done the timing belt, feul filter and glow plugs on my 98 2.8 patrol and after doing all that i have had a problem starting it.. intially it would take me up to 15secs to start it but only when its cold.. when it warms up its fine.. but now the car just cranks over and wont stat at all... when im cranking its blowing a lot white smoke.. Any help would would be great
Cheers Pip

the ferret
26th April 2012, 05:56 PM
Hi Mate, Please pop over to the introductions thread and tell us a bit more about yourself and your rig and you will find you will get some answers to your questions a bit quicker.
To my mind, the glow plugs are not working, white smoke is poor ignition/low compression.
It would pay to check the power supply to the glowplugs.
Are you sure you have the timing spot on?
Cheers, the ferret.

Oversize
27th April 2012, 06:52 AM
Hi Pip, had similar problem with mine after the rebuild. Waisted several hours trying to turn it over. Ended up linking two batteries for extra power and she fired up...

and like the ferret said, make yourself known on the intro page.

Gas_Guzzler4800
27th April 2012, 07:25 AM
From memory the RD28 requires the timing to be set at BDC not TDC, hopefully you have done this. Also make sure you have fitted the glow plug bus bar correctly. Is you glowplug light flashing? From memory the back three glowplugs are connected to both the main bus bar and a seperate bar. These are seperated by small spacers. The rear glow plugs continue to glow after startup to assist cold starts etc. Make sure the bars have power etc with a test light also. If you have changed the fuel filter you may need to bleed air out of the fuel system, if your hand primer is faulty this can be extremely difficult. Grab yourself an inline primer bulb from a boat and fit it just before the primer and filter housing, makes it a piece of cake.

big bell
29th July 2012, 12:52 PM
might be abit of air getting through fuel lines maybe?

Chrismia1
4th October 2012, 06:18 PM
Hi guys....hubby replaced glow plugs and after 3 days of running really well it wont start....got the roadside out to help snd they say that the gliw plugs are not getting enough to glow....what do I have to do to get this car working....99 2.8 turbo....please help...thanks

my third 256
5th October 2012, 01:13 AM
Hi guys....hubby replaced glow plugs and after 3 days of running really well it wont start....got the roadside out to help snd they say that the gliw plugs are not getting enough to glow....what do I have to do to get this car working....99 2.8 turbo....please help...thanks
Hi Mate, Please pop over to the introductions thread and tell us a bit more about yourself and your rig and you will find you will get some answers to your questions a bit quicker