PDA

View Full Version : GQ Deisel diff gears into GQ Petrol diff housing?

MudSlut
26th April 2012, 03:07 PM
Hi, I'm in need of a new rear diff in my petrol TB42, the current diff gears are the highest ones Nissan have the Patrol, I'm running 35's all the time and to replace the rear diff gears with petrol ratio gears is a little over $1000, and the much lower ratio Deisel gears are around $500. So I was thinking of getting front and rear diesel gears to lower the ratio front and back for the price of just replacing the rear with the current ratio gears.

So the question is... Will Diesel gears bolt up to my LSD and will my Axels slot into everything still?

nissannewby
26th April 2012, 03:51 PM
What ratios are you running? normally 4.6 is the go if your running 35's all the time i believe most 4.2 diesels are 4.11 and thought the petrol 4.2 were 3.9. to make life easier see if you can chase up a pair of centres then just swap em over i think most were the same even gu hopefully someone will be around to verify

MudSlut
27th April 2012, 02:10 PM
Yeah fron memory mine are 3.9 and the diesel is 4.6 or 4.9 I can't remember. I want to buy brand new gears as I know my LSD is tight as and works great. Or should I just save up more and put lockers in while I'm at it???

Does anyone know if Lock right lockers are any good? Had any personal experience with them? They just seem very simple and easy to fix if they do go wrong.

johno90
27th April 2012, 07:15 PM
highest wagon diff that came with gq is 4.111 which is standard on all diesel models, and yes all the diff's are the same just different ratio so all parts are transferable.

MudRunnerTD
27th April 2012, 07:28 PM
If you have 3.9s then chasing some 4.11s will be a winner.

Not quite right there Johno, The 2.8 TD came out with factory 4.6s and are the choice if you are looking to run big rubber and not looking to do allot of touring. They will help turn the 35s to 37s much much easier.

Nissan also came out with 4.3s and that may have been the RB3.0s (maybe?) definitely 4.3s are a factory ratio but not sure what they came out in. May even have been in the 4.5 when that came out in the GU?? Someone else will know. The 4.3s are a good compromise for big tyres and touring.

I run 4.6s with 35s in the GQ out of a 2.8 and they are great.

Give Growler a shout out mate and he has a Lockright and raves about it.

johno90
28th April 2012, 07:52 AM
Learn something new everyday, I thought the big daddy diff in the tues was the only one with higher ratio, tbh I'm gla I don't have much experience with 2.8 patrols :p