PDA

View Full Version : GQ Gearstick length

twase
26th April 2012, 02:48 PM
Has anyone shortened the Gearstick on a GQ, for me it seems way too high , almost truck like.
I can easily change it from where it tapers to its final size so i was thinking of lopping it off there.

nissannewby
26th April 2012, 10:55 PM
I think there were differences between models i know mine was shorter than a mate of mine had on his i could be wrong. Plenty of people have done it just cut a section out of it and reweld the threaded end back on so you keep your knob and presto shorter stick

twase
27th April 2012, 07:10 AM
At first appearance it does not look easy to remove so I was thinking of rethreading the shaft after I hack it off.

nissannewby
27th April 2012, 08:28 AM
its easy to remove whole stick take the 4 or 6 bolts i think it is that hold it to the top of the box and pull it out.

twase
27th April 2012, 01:20 PM
OK, thats easy then, I was expecting a circlip removal.

Robo
29th April 2012, 12:13 AM
You may find that if you shorten it you may need to add counter weight.
wt you say.
reason you find it easy to change from a low position as you say.
there is a counter balance affect from the lever length assisting you above your hand.
its a theory maybe worth exploring further, or I'm just wrong.
and don't forget you will have further to reach each time from then on.
race cars position everything as close as possible.
My GTR has a Nismo short shifter, the length is the same as std, the pivot point on shifter is slightly higher.
cheers

twase
29th April 2012, 07:28 AM
Not after a shorter shift but the position of the handle feels a little weird.
Interesting point about the counterweight.

Robo
29th April 2012, 11:16 AM
Not after a shorter shift but the position of the handle feels a little weird.
Interesting point about the counterweight.

Just given you different things to chew over from an every day point of view and engineered.

If anyone else will be ever driving this bus they may have a shorter reach and you have cut it shorter and then they may have to physically lean forward to reach stick, very inconvenient.

twase
29th April 2012, 11:21 AM
And appreciated.