PDA

View Full Version : Length of rope compared to steel??

gregs
25th April 2012, 08:08 AM
Morning all, Just wondering how much rope can you get on a lowmount winch compared to having steel cable on there. As far as I know I have about 28m of steel cable on my 12500lb tmax.

Thought I would start a new thread instead of hijacking one.

Cheers

Greg

Maxhead
25th April 2012, 08:36 AM
I have 30m of 9.5mm rope on my 12000lb. Could possibly fit another 5m

gregs
25th April 2012, 09:18 AM
NissPat, thanks mate. I just found the manual for the winch and it has an internal in the drum brake, is this a concern??

Greg

the evil twin
25th April 2012, 03:48 PM
NissPat, thanks mate. I just found the manual for the winch and it has an internal in the drum brake, is this a concern??

Greg

Yes it is an issue so excercise a bit of caution.

Winching against the brake is what generates by far the most heat of any operation. Try and avoid Winching "Out" as much as possible and run the rope out with the winch in neutral whenever possible.

It will also help to reduce the duty cycle (motor run versus resting times) or the load (by using a snatch block for a 2:1).

The reason being steel cable and the airgap between the wraps actually conducts a lot of heat away from the winch helping cool things. Synthetic rope is a very poor conductor and packs absolutely flat and airtight and traps all the heat against the drum.

You can get products to wrap on the drum to protect the rope but IMHO that doesn't solve much for the winch so it is better to just keep an eye on things and adjust your useage accordingly.

gregs
25th April 2012, 04:08 PM
You can get products to wrap on the drum to protect the rope but IMHO that doesn't solve much for the winch so it is better to just keep an eye on things and adjust your useage accordingly.[/QUOTE]

Thanks ET, is this the cover you feed over the rope near the attachment point on the drum (ie the first 5 or 6 wraps)?

Cheers

Greg