PDA

View Full Version : Engine vibration 4.2 td N/A

no eye deer
24th April 2012, 06:11 PM
G'day all,
I have a 92 TD42 engine with near on 400k on it.
Seems in reasonable condition. No loud noises etc. 400ml oil after 1000 km. Does 8.4 km/l sound right? Seems a little too good?.

It vibrates quite a lot at speed,(numb fingers) and also vibrates alot at idle. I get to drive a few TD42s at work, and its definetily rougher than others.

I have had it for maybe 5 weeks. The previous owner said the injectors were done about 140k ago. I dont THINK the pump has been done.
Has anyone had experience with this sort of thing? Anything else to try? I use 200:1 premium marine 2 stroke, but doubt that would make this kind of difference.

Mark

HammerBuilder
24th April 2012, 06:39 PM
I would be maybe checking your engine mounts n stuff like that as this can do a similar thing

no eye deer
24th April 2012, 07:13 PM
Yep, will do. They are pretty thin eh.
Mark

pjwooly
25th April 2012, 01:11 PM
mine has a "chatter" at the 2200 rev mark and seems to have a bit of a shake because of it.
I got no idea what to do about it either.

stets
25th April 2012, 01:18 PM
i had a shake on my 6.2 v8 for months and months, tried everything, changed clutch, tried different additives in fuel, changed to heavier oil, etc etc, not until it got way too hot one time and i changed my water pump and viscous fan hub did it go away. the bearing in the water pump wasnt even that bad but i guess it was enough, because as soon as i changed it, it was the first thing i noticed at idle

no eye deer
25th April 2012, 05:56 PM
Hmmm. My viscous hub does need replacing. Didnt think it was related to the vibes. But makes sense. pump would need replacing at the same time I guess. Although seems ok. I checked the 2 front engine mounts. They look good (tested 'em).
Mark

bordertech
4th May 2012, 01:20 AM
Check the harmonic balancer (crank pulley)
Could also be a driveline vibe like worn uni joints

Ade
4th May 2012, 02:22 AM
Gday Mark,

I have an experience with mate's 60 series cruiser 6 cylinders motor (can't remember exactly what motor) with the same issue..excessive vibration when idling. The motor sounds to be idling and firing fine, only vibrating. Turned out to be a faulty fuel pump. Mountings were broken too but we didn't even replace them. After he got his pump rebuild it was all good even with the broken mountings.

Cheers,
Ade

Ade
4th May 2012, 02:24 AM
Aaarrr...now I remember, its a 12HT motor.

no eye deer
4th May 2012, 06:10 AM
I think it probably is the fuel pump, and the injectors. I'll be trying some Moly diesel purge this weekend. If that doesnt work, can you spare $1200? :)

Mark

Richo460
8th May 2012, 04:57 AM
i have a TD42 in GQ wagon with over 400 000, its running lift and 33" muddies that gets about 8km/l so that sounds right to me. As for the vibration, take off your ac and alternator belts and checks all the pulleys ect for shaft movement, all pulleys should rotate easily and have no sloppy movements. Check gearbox mounts as well as engine mounts. Try running it without the radiator fan.

I wouldn't think running 2 stroke oil would do anything, a diesel fuel addative would be better but i am no expert.

no eye deer
9th May 2012, 09:36 PM
I did the Liqui-Moly diesel purge. What a huge difference!! My thumb doesnt go numb on the wheel anymore. It idles 50 RPM higher, and its got heaps more power! Great stuff!! I can almost keep up with the traffic!!

Mark

Ade
9th May 2012, 10:43 PM
Good on ya mate..any problems found that caused the vibration other than the fuel system?

no eye deer
10th May 2012, 06:51 AM
Nothing yet Ade,
I DO think it needs a tune up (injectors/pump) .Thats maybe all. I'll do the viscous hub next, and see what happens.
Mark

gqpew
11th May 2012, 12:56 PM
My TD42 N\A engine has some vibration only when I'm driving at a low RPM in 1st gear. I believe this is quite normal considering the age and wear of the vechicle. However when I'm idling, there isn't much of a noticeable vibration.