PDA

View Full Version : Gq patrol buying advice

ckhoile
24th April 2012, 11:02 AM
Looking a buying a Maverick with 6"lift, new clutch230000km strengthened an,strengthened and lengthened lower trailing arms with new bushes caster plates?.
New 35 mud terrains new wheel bearings custom rear bar and quarter chop.Lpg /Petrol has a slight miss on Lpg drives fine on petrol owner not sure why.
After advice on what to look out for this is my first 4wd hoping to pick a good one:icon_driving:Has a few other bits and peices asking $7500 is this a fair price???any advice appreciated.

Winnie
24th April 2012, 11:13 AM
What year is it?
Sounds like a pretty good price given the low kms and expensive mods. As always though try and barter him down.

ckhoile
24th April 2012, 11:37 AM
It is a 1991 model. Any advice on what i can check on the LPG never had LPG vehicle and unsure how much to have any repairs done.

Thanks Cam

HammerBuilder
24th April 2012, 06:50 PM
With the LPG check the dates on tank as these have expire dates & need to be serviced n stamped bout every 10 years I think...
as for missing on lpg maybe he has retuned it for petrol as its very hard to get best of power out of both lpg & petrol with the same tuning.

Also look for the usual rust in spots like roof gutters n rear window frames bottom of doors n have a realy good look at chassis for cracks round steering box & for rust along the whole length in other words maybe get it checked by NRMA or some-1 you trust with a hoist. Its always good to get a second opinion when buying a first 4x4
Cheers & good luck Hope its ok

pjwooly
25th April 2012, 01:16 PM
Klms may not be genuine either...the speedo's have a habit of stopping for long periods of time...then working again as mine does.
Works less and less these days actually so keep this in mind.Condition of the interior gives a good indication of how hard she may have been treated and how far she's travelled.

Hope that helps abit champ.
good luck!!

stets
25th April 2012, 01:31 PM
for $7500 grand with all that fruit, either you are stealing it from him, or he is trying for a quick sale and not telling the full truth. a six inch lift done properly using castor correction plates is a good 3-4 k on its own, longer trailing arm kits are far from cheap and if engineered like is supposed to happen thats another grand or so. bushes, wheel bearings and clutch are all part the parcel, the vehicle should be sold with working parts like these, but do raise a question as to why all had to be changed at the same time. clutch and wheel bearings would possibly be due to a deep muddy water crossing, but more frequently are due to poor ongoing maintenance. if that is the case, what else hasnt been regularly maintained?

custom rear bars and quarter chops almost always stipulate "HARDCORE" weekend warriors, many people do this to remove damaged rear quarters, however, in this case i think it has been done to allow the big 35's sitting on 6 inch of lift running extended trailing arms to fit up inside the wheel arch with out damaging the guard.

lpg/petrol issues, pretty standard for the car to perform differently on 2 different fuels, however, depending on the miss, it could be the case of the lpg system being on the way out.

as with all vehicles, if you dont personally know what and where to look, you will probably miss whats being hidden, get it inspected by either someone you know that knows his shit or a licenced vehicle inspector

ckhoile
25th April 2012, 05:04 PM
Thanks for the advice guys will get a vehicle inspection done for sure.Its at newcastle just got to find one any ideas?? Young guy selling it lost his license had it for about 12mnths and done all mods since then bit messy inside but i put that down to owner being younge nothing a good detail won't fix. Will go out to check it over this weekend .
Asked about LPG tank he said it has a plate on it that said 3/11 not sure what this means?
Not engineered but i will probably get that done, Anything else i should keep an eye out for.

Thanks again for the advice
Cam

MQ MAD
25th April 2012, 06:07 PM
First thing youd have to check is ,are all the mods legal ???
If they aint , the mods can and will be a pain in the rear
IF the car does come with a rwc or similar, once its in your name the onus is on you wether the mods are legit or not
That being said, get it thoroughly inspected

230,000 for a 91 model does seem a tad low, so id be checking that out
Not sure down there , but in QLD speedo Ks are noted on rwc when transfers are done