PDA

View Full Version : Grenade protection question

Jellies
23rd April 2012, 10:39 PM
Hello everyone
Have a question concerning protection mods for later model GU's. I have an 07 GU wagon which has just clocked 100,000 Kms . Have done a little research and found most degrenading to be on earlier models. My car is driving very well but since reviewing a few posts have had the fear of god put into me.I am very new to this so please be gentle.

MudRunnerTD
23rd April 2012, 10:50 PM
Hey Jellies, there is plenty written here about the ZD30. yours is a late model and Nissan had sorted out most of the problems with them and you should have no problems.

That being said, have a good read around here as i tend to ignore all the ZD30 stuff. I'm a TD42 man ;)

Use the search function and your answers will be clear. Be kind to your car and a little research and preventative maintenance will not be a bad thing for piece of mind.

Have fun mate.

GRA.GU
24th April 2012, 08:32 AM
Gooday Jellies, I'm assuming your 07 is a Common Rail, as they were introduced about April 07, in which case you would appear to have little to worry about with regard to grenading. To the best of my knowledge there have been no cases of grenading with the CRD. Not to say that they are problem free, but those problems are, to a large extent, shared by all manufacturers producing the high tech common rail diesels. Dirty fuel, and water in particular, is the killer so do your best to keep your supply clean, especially when travelling in more remote areas. Even city supplies have been known to be contaminated on occasions, but your chances of compensation are far higher, from what we've been told, if you deal with the brand name stations, and so most people I know with CRDs avoid the discount places.
Unfortunately the ECU in the CRDs is sensitive to the fitting of an extra fuel filter, but a water trap such as "Water Watch" may well give you peace of mind, and the importance of a normal regular maintenance regime should never be underestimated.
There are some other things [a catch can for instance] that can improve reliability, but you can relax and as Mud Runner has suggested use the search function at your leisure. Enjoy your GU and enjoy the Forum.

Jellies
25th April 2012, 04:24 PM
Thanks GRA.GU and Mud runner for your quick response to my querie. I do have a an O7 CRD GU so I will keep searching the forum for more information starting with finding out what a catch can is. Thank you for the information it was beyond anything I expected. It would seem this place is full of very knowledgable members who are only to keen to assist. I feel a little humble and out of my depth.
Thanks again