PDA

View Full Version : Whats your opinion on windscreen mounted lights?

GQPorkroll
23rd April 2012, 09:59 PM
I saw a Jeep with driving lights mounted on the bottom of the windscreen frame and thought it looked pretty cool. I assumed it would be illegal in Aus, however I thought they might benefit me off road as it can throw light out beside the wheel, as opposed to in front of the wheels with the conventional headlights and driving lights I have now. They're only 2 wires and one nut to remove if they're illegal so I went and bought 2 mounts for the jeep, which I will have to modify, by either bending or cutting to match my Patrol's lines. They were reasonably cheap, I think $37 delivered to my door, so by the time I bought the stock, welded, swore, etc it would have cost me that in time alone.

I'll make a card template and transfer it onto the mount and trim it down to fit, then either rivet or screw it to the pillar and silicone it (body isn't a show car, so not too concerned as long as its water tight)

Seems like a worthwhile project, has anyone attempted anything similar?

MudRunnerTD
23rd April 2012, 10:52 PM
Dont forget to take pics mate.

Good luck with your mod, i'll be interested to see what they look like on a GQ.

megatexture
23rd April 2012, 11:27 PM
will be great to see when your done. not sure on legalities but like you said i think it will be illegal would be a sweet addition though , thumbs up for the pics also

timbar
23rd April 2012, 11:34 PM
Dont forget to take pics mate.

Good luck with your mod, i'll be interested to see what they look like on a GQ.

For sure would be interesting

04OFF
24th April 2012, 02:09 AM
Id say they would not be legal (depending on state) as they are above your standard head lights, but just as roof spot lights are not legal in QLD, im pretty sure you can get away with them if they have a black cover for road use , perhaps you could do the same ?

nissannewby
24th April 2012, 07:45 AM
I have seen someone who mounted spotties to the tray facing out either side of the vehicle im pretty sure they were just attached to the head board of the tray. They would be good offroad but you may get some glare onroad off the bonnet keep us updated

GQPorkroll
24th April 2012, 01:20 PM
Will do guys. Didn't think about black covers, good idea. will post some pics when I get some alone time and can actually do something!

GQPorkroll
6th May 2012, 11:28 AM
Ok little update. The first brackets didn't fit. The jeep is mainly flat along the screen but as the patrol has a flat section but then raises up for the the cowl, the bracket is too wide. Not a huge loss, only $40 and I can use the brackets on the rear of my rack anyway for work/reverse lights.

I have ordered 2 new brackets for about $80 that mount up the A pillar and only slightly along the bottom of three screen, I will modify these to suit, as there's a lot more to cut/bend and more room for mounting bolts/rivets etc,.

I have 2 LED lights to fit to them so will keep updating with mods needed to fit them etc and may make a template to share if anyone wants to do similar.