PDA

View Full Version : POLL: New GU8 or 2005/2006 4.2 GU

f40
23rd April 2012, 09:04 PM
Hey Guys,

I am torn at the moment deciding on what to replace my old turbo diesel Discovery with.

I have come to the conclusion i either want a new GU8 Patrol or the last of the 4.2 GUs (i would want one with around 100,000kms).

Currently i can get the GU8 for around $50k and the going rate for the low km late model 4.2's is $50-$60k.

What would you guys do if you had the choice between the two?

I really want whatever i get to last, therefore the 4.2 sounds good but then there is something nice about owning a brand new truck (and cheaper as well!).

Maxhead
23rd April 2012, 09:09 PM
Why would you go for a slug when you can have economical vehicle with heaps of grunt brand new with warranty for 5 or 6 years :)

MudRunnerTD
23rd April 2012, 09:13 PM
The TD42Ti but $45K is the number! Any more and they're taking th pi55!

I have to say though the new GU8s are a very nice unit with factory diff lock and 5 year Warranty is a winner too

BearGUST
24th April 2012, 10:21 AM
Paying more for a second hand car doesn't quite work for me...
I know there are plenty of '3.0L bashers' around but the CRD is a good thing.
If a second hand 4.2 has ALL the mods you want it may be good value but $50K for a brand new truck with a rear diff lock and a traction control system on the front seems like a good start.

MudRunnerTD
24th April 2012, 07:44 PM
Look at this thing.! WOW! note it is on the Written Off Vehicle Register! Hell!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nissan-Patrol-2005-GU-ST-TD42-Wagon-rare-4-2-turbo-diesel-/110861610349

Waka
24th April 2012, 08:30 PM
i've had my GU8 for a few days and I'm loving it. there's nothing like a brand new car.

Trol3.0
24th April 2012, 10:30 PM
i tried the 4.2 new before decided to buy zd30. mate, at that time the near new demo 4.2 drives like an old car and no auto! so i finally went to 3.0 unless you want to keep the car for long long time . otherwise just drive both car to compare....the gu8 easily win...

f40
26th April 2012, 09:44 AM
Thanks for all the pointers guys. I have driven both the GU 8 and 2 of the older 4.2s. One of them felt like an absolute slug! While the other 4.2 drove pretty well. I am more concerned about the lifespan of the engine as i plan on keeping whatever i get for 10 years +.

I am however leaning towards the new GU 8 (and the wife is happier with the new car option as well)

DX grunt
26th April 2012, 10:08 AM
If I had the choice between the two, I'd go new.

I love my 4.2 TDi, but a choice would probably sway me - in a few years.

You need to be really sure of the history of the pre-loved truck and that it has a good service history with a reliable log book. I keep receipts for all the stuff I've had done to it too, just so I can remember what's been done. Don't forget the REVS check and possibly get a RWC before you consider buying it. Make sure you see the RWC before you make a decision.

The 5 year warranty sounds good, too.

Rossco

Rip'n'Shred
26th April 2012, 11:24 AM
Funny you posted this.

I have been in the same situation for the last couple of months, trying to decide the same, except I can lease a car through work so I could got a brand newy for about $45k.

I am a big lover of the 4.2l.

I, finally, decided to go for a november built 2006 4.2l for $47k with 109,000km on it. (with steel bar, spotties, snorkel, 3" exhaust). Pick her up next week! Can't wait ;)

I am planning on keeping this vehicle for the long term, 10+ years.

Several reasons came into play for me, some of which were issues with the leaseing process, but mostly due to engine options between the two.

I have owned an older gu 4.2 non intercooled, drove a direct injection 3l, and drove a couple of common rail 3l. My old 4.2 was standard when I bought it and I fitted a 3" exhaust, increased boost and tuned for more grunt.

I think the 4.2 is a far superior engine for me. Extremely reliable, long lasting, proven performance, easy to modify and still be reliable, repairable.

Buying a new car is a nice feeling, but they are only new at first. I bought my BT50 new and was surprised how quickly the new feeling vanished. But you will remember the first big scratch you put in it. Lol :)

Although the last of the 4.2's are quite expensive, I think they will hold their value very well in the future.

I was concerned with a few issues with the new patrols, including the storeys of the manuals loosing clutches, the excessive fuel consumption, over boosting, modifying inside of warranty, long term reliability, etc. (this is not to start a debate, all have had multiple posts each already.)

The decision is yours at the end of the day, and I doubt you'll ever have regret either way. Good luck and let us know which way you go, including pics.

chev_1973
27th April 2012, 11:05 AM
I don't paying for the car but there is no better feeling when the car is well build.

I think Patrols overall are very good cars.

gowalkabout.com.au
27th April 2012, 05:57 PM
I would go for the GU8 ( i might be bias as that is what i have)
but something to keep in mind is if nissan pull their fingers out and bring out the v8 patrol that they are suppossed to, after it has been on the market for a few years the price of the 4.2 will drop. the price of alot of the top $ cars drop ALOT after a few years (think or the range rover) so once there is a replacement for the 4.2 power its value will drop. dont get me wrong the GU8 price will fall as well but at least it will have 100,000km's less on the clock.
just my 2cents
good luck with your new rig

nissannewby
27th April 2012, 09:13 PM
I cant see the value of the 4.2 dropping to much when they bring the v8 in as they are only giving the comsumer the option of a 5.6 L petrol engine and are gonna run the current shape GUs next to it with the diesels. If you want all the creature comforts the new ones are the go however the old reliable 4.2 will be cheaper to maintain and cheaper to repair just have a look at the cost of getting a fuel pump done on a crd compared to a pump on the ole td42 etc

Clunk
27th April 2012, 11:12 PM
I'm gonna wait for them to bring out a twin turbo V8 diesel GU, then take the body off and stick a GQ body on...................... until that time I'm sticking to me thirsty trusty old clunker!!!!!! lol

Saying that given the choice between 2nd hand 4.2 oiler or brand spanking 3ltr................... I think I'd go for the brand spanker and keep me clunker for the rough stuff

Ree
29th April 2012, 11:58 AM
This is exactly the same position we're in at the moment. Seems that most people we've seen selling are wanting over 55k for 05/06 4.2's anywhere close to here! Looks like if we want to go that option, then we'll have to look around to get a good buy that's a more realistic price!

As much as I'm a bit worried about everything I've heard/read about the 3ltr I find it hard to pay thousands more for a second hand car vs new with no warranty and 100k+ on the clock! For peace of mind though, it would be pretty nice owning a 4.2, so it's a tough, tough decision to make.

the evil twin
29th April 2012, 02:34 PM
Personally I think the GU shape "Current Patrol" and the "New Patrol" are so far apart that they will have little influence on each other in the market.

Different Size, different shape, different engines, different equipment levels and accessories... just plain different.

Nissan must think similar or they wouldn't run them side by side in the same market. It is the same as comparing a MY12 Pathy and an MY12 GU Patrol. All Nissan will do is run the GU style till end of life and pretty much only in Aus/NZ by all accounts.

The late TD42 GU's bubble will deflate but not burst as they get older and older but the buyer looking for one of them won't be even remotely considering a new Patrol or vice versa and the older ZD30's will still be treated like the plague.

The value buys will probably be the ZD30 CRD's as they will the 'closest' competitor to the new Patrol.

...and IMHO the second coming of Jesus is more likely than a 'new' engine option in the GU's when the new Patrol hits Aus. Would you redesign and tool up a production line to introduce an engine into a model that is at end of life and selling into your smallest market?

Rip'n'Shred
29th April 2012, 03:13 PM
If the 4.2's continue to hold their prices as they have done for the last 6 years or so, then it will only be a couple of years or so until a 2012 model is worth a lot less than a 2006 4.2.

I don't think any new engine will ever push the mighty 4.2 off its pedestal.

Just my biased opinion of course

Lewy
29th April 2012, 05:17 PM
The one thing that we hate most about buying a new car is the on going service cost.. Its just a bloody rip off!!!! You could do 2 services at home for the price of one Nissan service.. In saying that the New GU8 is a bloody good buy at under 50k, Hell I paid 42k for my 03 4.2 turbo ST-L with 95,000 On her.. But I do love the pulling power I have now from my 4.2 wouldn't be to many ZDs out there that have the pulling power my 4.2 has :-)

Lewy

Blacklotusdog
29th April 2012, 07:44 PM
I have just purchased a new GU8 and am very happy with it so far.

Lovely car to drive, has just the right level of equipment i think, all the gadgets you will actually use but non of the extra gimmicky stuff that just ends up being something extra to break.

The CRD's seem to cop a lot of flak but i am very happy with it, maybe lacks a touch of power when you hit steep hills but i think this will improve as the engine runs in and i plan on chipping and new exhaust in the future anyway.

Fuel economy so far is pretty good, on the drive back from sydney a had a couple of refills that worked out to be around 14L/100km but that was sitting at 120km in cruise with a pretty strong head wind. i think i should get pretty close to 11-12L/100km out of the current tank, which in my opinion is pretty bloody good for a 2.5 tonne brick.

So yeah i reckon go the GU8, they ar ea bloody good value truck, i ended up paying $48,500 for mine unregistered with a bullbar and tow pack fitted. Will be a bit over $50,000 once I pay stamp and register it here in SA.

Tango173
30th April 2012, 03:00 PM
I'm another who's about too make the hard decision with the added complectiy of having to say good by to the trusty old GQ. No i can't have two, She who must be obeyed has spoken!

I've lined up an inspection of a '06 4.2 ST-L with 190K on clock. It has been optioned up, with factory bar, spotties, snorkel, dust deflector, bonnet gaurd, OH DVD.
I'm not worried about the km's but would like to know what others think it might be worth and comments about what to look out for. It's only done highway and outback roads, no serious towing or 4x4 work according to owner from new

Cheers

tempestv8
30th April 2012, 05:15 PM
For me, if I had to choose between a preloved 4.2TD and a new 3.0 GU series 8, the answer is easy. It would be the new vehicle simply because:

1. Factory warranty
2. Factory diff lock
3. Everything on the vehicle is new
4. No unknowns like accident repairs, salt water immersion
5. If the 4.2 is so good, why is the owner selling it?
6. CRD 3.0 has more peak torque and power than 4.2
7. CRD does not have overheating issues of 4.2 under continuous heavy load
8. Automatic gearbox masks offboost off idle lag of CRD engine
9. Additional safety features like side airbags and electronic stability control - you can't put a price on safety
10. New drivetrain - so not having to deal with worn swivel hubs, contaminated grease in wheel bearings, all fluids like power steering, coolant are fresh, and no worn suspension bushes.
11. No dust or other nasties lurking in the air conditioning system causing funky smells
12. No idler pulleys affected by submersion in bog holes
13. No dodgy home wiring done anywhere on the vehicle
14. No pet hair ingrained in the carpet or inside airconditioning system

Sure, the Patrol's auto gearbox is relatively old fashioned, but that's not necessarily bad - for starters you can ALWAYS buy Dexron III or IV fluid anywhere in Australia but the new 5 or 6 speed auto gearboxes like those found in the Prado or Land Cruiser cannot be bought off the shelf easily, as these gearboxes require very specific fluid. Not easily obtainable if you are travelling far and wide in this big brown land.

Hope this gives you another perspective... :-)

macka82
1st May 2012, 06:54 PM
Gu8 mate. Just got one and loving it. Plan on keeping for 10 years or more. I have heard a few people recommend if going to keep a hold off it to drop the oil at the 5k intervals. Planning on doing this.

Ronin
2nd May 2012, 10:17 AM
Gu8 mate. Just got one and loving it. Plan on keeping for 10 years or more. I have heard a few people recommend if going to keep a hold off it to drop the oil at the 5k intervals. Planning on doing this.

you mean change the oil every 5k ?

Ronin
2nd May 2012, 11:33 AM

you mean change the oil every 5k ?

Rip'n'Shred
2nd May 2012, 11:34 AM
Any diesel engine benefits from 5k oil changes if your planing on keeping it long term