PDA

View Full Version : rd28 missing - white smoke on miss and powerloss

Radmobile
23rd April 2012, 02:47 PM
hey guys, little help if ya wouldnt mind..

my rd28 1999 - after a melbourne mildura and back trip, is missfiring(?)(not firing) @ about 1500 to 2500 revs it surges a little (govenor? ) on the power loss part of the surge it gurgles and white smoke comes out ( unburnt fuel? govenor is giving out too much fuel?) so im thinking maybe the timing needs to come back a tiny bit or the fuel pump needs attention. why its deided to do this after the trip i dont know... maybe its just fatiged.

any help greatly appreciated

thanks

Tony

Radmobile
24th April 2012, 05:55 PM
Bring back the timeing a little?

Steve cooper
25th April 2012, 08:02 PM
That could be an air leak in the fuel system somewhere........ Try bypassing the fuel filter, if the hand primer is stuffed it can suck air in through there.

Shaunous
26th April 2012, 09:33 AM
Going into what your saying, you have owned the car a while and its never done this before, so its a new problem. Rare chance its timing, and small chance its the fuel pump either. Is it loosing coolant?

As Steve Cooper said, check for air leaks or a blocked fuel filter first, specially if it does this under load or the turbo spooling up time, remember there is a little brass filter in the inlet T of the injection pump also. I installed all new proper stainless hose clamps and new rubber fuel lines when I purchased mine, as taking the standard clamps on and off the standard hard/brittle hoses will cause air leaks after age. And remember just because there isnt a diesel leak, doesnt mean air cannot be sucked inside...

Shaun...