PDA

View Full Version : Air Filter Spiral ?

cookpa
22nd April 2012, 01:39 AM
Has any one fitted one of these afternarket spiral/vortex air filters to their Patrol ? how did it go any pics ?

AB
22nd April 2012, 09:37 AM
Do you mean the Donalds ones?

Used as a pre filter or the main filter?

cookpa
22nd April 2012, 02:47 PM
they look like a main filter replacement , the adverts for them are on this website it looks like they bolt straight on to the manifold completely replacing the original air intake system

macca
22nd April 2012, 06:36 PM
No snorkel fitted to your Patrol?

cookpa
22nd April 2012, 07:35 PM
No snorkel on this Patrol ,i had a bad experience with my last 4wd that i had a snorkel fitted , hoping for something different this time before i resort to a snorkel

maxblack
22nd April 2012, 07:43 PM
i had a bad experience with my last 4wd that i had a snorkel fitted

Care to explain? (after just having a snorkel fitted, I'd be interested in your experience)

cookpa
22nd April 2012, 09:47 PM
hey maxblack,
i had a massive vibration caused by the air volume travelling down the snorkel ,to fix it the fitters put a device in the snorkel as recommended by the manufacturer which turned out to be a large washer with a hole in the middle this slowed down the air but killed one of the benefits of the snorkel, i had a power drop with the washer in and the 4wd ran heaps better with it disconnected so i had to leave the snorkel disconnected untill i needed to cross water then every body had to wait for me to set up the connection before i could cross
.so i am not rushing in to it this time because each brand has the hole in the guard in a different place so you cant just swap brands if you find out it vibrates like mine did .
i live in the country and the vibration was at 80-100 kph so it was always there for me :-)

Robo
24th April 2012, 01:52 AM
I was thinking of putting 1 on my wife's gq mav, anyone know the cause of this vibration?.
Does the wall thickness have something to do with it or simply the brand?.
the design of ram,or forward or backwards facing ?.
which brand pls, so I can talk with that manufacturer to get their ideas on the cause.
and was it on a patrol you had problems?.

lufkin
24th April 2012, 03:45 AM
Cookpa where was the washer located. I wanna check mine to see if I have one or not

nissannewby
24th April 2012, 07:57 AM
i had a massive vibration caused by the air volume travelling down the snorkel
Did you try turning the head around at all. might be a silly Q.

Robo. I have just fitted a high flow safari snorkel to mrs 4.2TDT it doesnt getting any vibration whatsoever and seems to be of a sturdy construction safari are tuff have laid my ute over on one and it pushed all my guard in no damage to snorkel. .

What motor are you running cookpa?

Robo
24th April 2012, 12:16 PM
Yeah had a safari on old MK from a Gq wreck,, but let it go with the old girl wish I kept it.
It had some scrapes and a ding from rocks I think, I simply took a heated large flat screwdriver to it and worked the marks out.
It was nice and thick.
I agree with your opinion.
They, Safari are strong.

Robo
24th April 2012, 12:54 PM
Has any one fitted one of these afternarket spiral/vortex air filters to their Patrol ? how did it go any pics ?

Mate doing this with no cold air feed like a snorkel or inner guard feed means you are sucking hot air from engine bay.
This means less power etc.
Hot air is thinner than cold = less oxygen to help burn fuel.
There are many many related problems connected with hot air.
Cold air induction is the go...........full stop.
Have a think, does you car/ truck/bike go better at night I bet you answer is yes, the reason is colder air bro.
As for the stainless filter unless your going racing "might" be an idea to stay away.
If you can house this filter and direct cold air at it then this is a good outcome.
And by the way, to remain legal filters have to be inside a housing.
But you still need to be sure it is filtering enough garbage out of the air.
The steps in the intake of filter will add some resistance so the more you can remove the better also.
They can improve flow as a result of filter area due to size and medium being pleated.
Pleating gives more filter area as opposed to simply flat medium sheet.
Lastly, if its a oil impregnated type filter, you need to use as little oil as possible.
It, oil can transfer to mafs, and maf then gives off bad ecu signal.
Hope this helps.

cookpa
24th April 2012, 07:11 PM
ok now no booing :-) lol !, i had that snorkel fitted on a toyota the vibration was due to the huge induction of air and turning the ram around or running an oil bath type did not stop it from vibrating and it was loud ,no names hehe ! but it was a safari brand , but i was told by others with the same 4wd and different snorkels that theirs did it too on certain models i was just looking at alternates before cutting the holes in my guard , i havent heard of a patrol doing it but dont want to find out the hard way . at the momentmy patrol is in perfect order and would hate to ruin it .

taslucas
24th April 2012, 07:48 PM
Hey cookpa, could the vibration have been fixed with different mounting to the vehicle body? I have never heard of this vibration before. I have about 15 mates with varying 4wds and snorkel setups and none have ever had this happen.

tappin it

cookpa
25th April 2012, 12:09 AM
taslucas it was a well known fault, all the snorkel fitters from the 1990,s know all about it ,mountings made no difference ,its very heavily documented on toyota forums for all the 2.4 and 2.8 diesel hilux, 4runner,surf ,i could not beieve it when i read about it after fitting one ,it is not mentioned amongst the patrol, navara owners groups and forums as a problem from what i can see i know i dont want it to happpen again ,hoping i am worried about nothing :-)

Robo
25th April 2012, 01:32 AM
Mate my safari was feeding a L28, that's 2.8 litre petrol engine and the snorkel was designed to supply air to a 4.2 Ltr engine so I have a bit of trouble reckoning this as to much air flow.
A design problem here.
More like turbulence being created probably where they join up at a guess.
back pressure at a oem junction not handling things
hence the washer to slow the flow down to a vacume again seeing as there was a loss of power.
yota junk anyway who cares.

taslucas
25th April 2012, 11:06 PM
taslucas it was a well known fault, all the snorkel fitters from the 1990,s know all about it ,mountings made no difference ,its very heavily documented on toyota forums for all the 2.4 and 2.8 diesel hilux, 4runner,surf ,i could not beieve it when i read about it after fitting one ,it is not mentioned amongst the patrol, navara owners groups and forums as a problem from what i can see i know i dont want it to happpen again ,hoping i am worried about nothing :-)

Wow I didn't know it was that common. A mate has a 2.4 hilux with a safari (I think) and it's all good. So its the top of the snorkel that vibrates from the air flowing past it? Is it just the snorkels with the ram air type head on them?

tappin it

cookpa
26th April 2012, 08:47 PM
the whole snorkel vibrates , it is so strong that the glove box and the support beam behind the dash rattle too the washer too stop it can be ordered from tjm and arb as a standard part its in their parts list alongside everything else .. . one car i know had 18 cable ties around everything on that part of his hilux inside his engine bay ,from guard to snorkel just about everywhere to stop the vibration because someone told him it was fitted wrong and wasnt tight enough , i took the washer out of mine and put it in his and the vibration stopped straight away , the best news is patrols dont do it at all and mine will be fitted in the next day or two i will take pics as i do it and post them up :-)

taslucas
26th April 2012, 08:58 PM
the whole snorkel vibrates , it is so strong that the glove box and the support beam behind the dash rattle too the washer too stop it can be ordered from tjm and arb as a standard part its in their parts list alongside everything else .. . one car i know had 18 cable ties around everything on that part of his hilux inside his engine bay ,from guard to snorkel just about everywhere to stop the vibration because someone told him it was fitted wrong and wasnt tight enough , i took the washer out of mine and put it in his and the vibration stopped straight away , the best news is patrols dont do it at all and mine will be fitted in the next day or two i will take pics as i do it and post them up :-)

So are we talking all hiluxs? Or just a certain year/model? Or just a certain type/brand of snorkel?