PDA

View Full Version : ridge ryder gear

luvpsi
21st April 2012, 11:47 AM
hey guys im looking at getting a starters recovery kit and i saw at supercheap a ridge ryder kit which includes a snatch strap (8000kg i think) gloves 2 shackles and a folding shovel. is ridge ryder any good or would i be better off with a reputable brand

MudRunnerTD
21st April 2012, 12:12 PM
The ridge ryder gear is rated to Australian Standards mate so should be fine. A shackle should only be used in a snatch recovery if it is required to connect to a closed recovery hoop style point, if you have recovery hooks then you should place the snatch strap loop straight over the hook.

Not sure about the folding shovel? Hard work there I reckon, I have a short handle round mouth shovel on my spare tyre and reckon its the bomb. Use it often, I reckon the little folding might be a bit too small?

An 8000 kg strap is the right one mate so now figure out if you need the other stuff or can you get it from bunnings? If you can buy the strap and maybe a recovery bag or tree truck protector for future use and kit?

Have fun mate

Winnie
22nd April 2012, 10:12 PM
I have that kit, bought it from Supercheap and it has been fine. Like TD said it's rated to Aus standards. The shovel is absolute crap but still worth buying for the price when you get the strap and two shackles.

Silver
22nd April 2012, 11:25 PM
I have bought some recovery gear from Supercheap, along with the other outlets.

I didn't buy the Supercheap shackle that had no female thread in the shackle to retain the pin.

I guess this could have happened at one of the other stores, but it hasn't to me. Yet :-) anyway.

timbar
23rd April 2012, 04:17 AM
So what are the thoughts on the Ridge Ryder whinches I noticed supacheap are advertising a 12000lbs one for $478 i think what are the thoughts on it? ?

dan&tamspatrol
23rd April 2012, 06:10 AM
im pretty sure they are not serviceable so once its stuffed you have to replace the whole winch

MudRunnerTD
23rd April 2012, 07:52 AM
So what are the thoughts on the Ridge Ryder whinches I noticed supacheap are advertising a 12000lbs one for $478 i think what are the thoughts on it? ?

Hey Timbar, there is lots written about these and the Aldi Winches on the Net, consensus is that they are a BARGAIN. They are a Good Price Point Winch that will get you out of trouble.

oncedisturbed
23rd April 2012, 10:16 AM
As muddy mentioned, there are a few guys over at 4wda that love them as they run well and heaps cheaper than most of the others as well. folding shovels are pretty useless but as a back up they are fine or if you need to dig a bog hole

Another good set of straps etc is from "Just Straps" I have a set and love them, they have had very good reviews as well. I think I got mine from Auto One

dan&tamspatrol
23rd April 2012, 04:52 PM
im pretty sure they are not serviceable so once its stuffed you have to replace the whole winch

realized what i said what i ment was the some of the cheaper winches you cant get replacement parts for them so be careful

nissannewby
23rd April 2012, 04:59 PM
realized what i said what i ment was the some of the cheaper winches you cant get replacement parts for them so be careful
Both make sense bloke. As its been stated they are rated straps and shackles and there is big trouble to be had if regulations arent followed on the rating of this gear. I get trade price at supercheap so if i ever break one will prob just be getting them from here.

the evil twin
23rd April 2012, 05:20 PM
There are no Aust Standards for Recovery Straps. There is only a Mandatory Product Standard that covers what has to be printed on the box and literature included with the strap. The manuf is free to construct, test and "rate" them however they please.

Having said that, Rydge Ryder is as good (or bad) as any of the other common brands of Recovery Strap out there.
The shackles on the other hand do have to comply to an Aust Std so all good there.
Folding shovels are great for a toilet hole but thats about it really.
Try digging diff pumpkins out with one and you will only ever do it once before investing in a decent shovel (long handle round nose or contractors is my preferred)