PDA

View Full Version : Rust prevention tips

Dave.79
19th April 2012, 09:54 PM
Anybody got any rust prevention tips besides electronic?

dan&tamspatrol
19th April 2012, 09:56 PM
there is another one other than electric they just spray it on

megatexture
19th April 2012, 10:11 PM
you can pull off your door pannels and spray fish oil or lanlon in them. i spray under my car also with innox before i go beach drivingand after washing under once i come back.

nismine01
19th April 2012, 10:26 PM
Fish oil stinks, at least it use to, Lanolin oil is from wool, on the land it was found to be the best product to keep super spreader chains rust free and ready for the next season. Even chains left soaking in diesel for the year tended to seize up but they stayed flexible with lanolin oil.
I use it for any rust preventative reason I can but it does dry out, leaves a sticky residue but no rust, it is also great to spray in the back of any electrical plugs to keep from corrosion.

It is no good as RP7/WD40 etc as it does leave a residue, can't be used in a distributor etc.

Regards

Mike

Dave.79
19th April 2012, 10:31 PM
The thing that puts me off the spray type products is that they get sticky and catch the crap...lano is great stuff though.

Silver
19th April 2012, 11:03 PM
tectyl dries pretty well.

Be careful with pressure washers as you may wash your rustproofing off - no biggie, but will need replacing.

Robo
20th April 2012, 02:27 AM
you can buy a spray can wax product for inside door panels etc.
lanotec do products you may also find useful.

I remember a boss of mine 25yrs ago had a old caddy and told me he only ever use a bucket to wash and rinse it. and would never use water under pressure to wash it.
and he used a little kero in the water to penetrate into the nock and crannies to help prevent rust.
lanotec make a water soluable form oil, may be of some use

x2 on the pressure washer, for that matter never use one.
They force water and crap places you don't ever want it.

97_gq_lwb
20th April 2012, 09:17 AM
You can buy odourless fish oil spray cans at most spare parts shops these days my local auto one store stocks it.
Their is also a rust converter primer sealer in one i used this on an external rust spot once and left it for 2 years and it never got any worse.

Dave.79
20th April 2012, 09:49 PM
cheers guys ill do a little experimenting & let yas know

ShuttleVan1
21st April 2012, 01:25 AM
There is an excellent product available here in the US called "miracle paint" I discovered it while fixing my Mercedes-Benz 240 Diesel (mercedessource.com) You basically brush off any rust with a wire brush and you paint this stuff on a with a brush. You can even put fiberglass sheets o fill in any rust holes, its fantastic! I used it on the undercarriage, the trunk, the muffler, inside my door panels and on my battery tray. I am extremely happy with the results!

Robo
21st April 2012, 02:08 AM
There is an excellent product available here in the US called "miracle paint" I discovered it while fixing my Mercedes-Benz 240 Diesel (mercedessource.com) You basically brush off any rust with a wire brush and you paint this stuff on a with a brush. You can even put fiberglass sheets o fill in any rust holes, its fantastic! I used it on the undercarriage, the trunk, the muffler, inside my door panels and on my battery tray. I am extremely happy with the results!

So what's the miracle ? or claim to fame about this paint ?.

MQ MAD
21st April 2012, 07:33 AM
Lanolin

Put it on bare metal and throw it in the weather for years and it wont rust......

97_gq_lwb
21st April 2012, 08:29 AM
I forgot all about these products.
They make some great stuff for specific purposes.
http://por15.com.au/

Robo
21st April 2012, 11:13 AM
So I was told, lanolin was an Australian idea/invention.
someone noticed on the shearing sheds.
bottom of the walls "corrageted sheets" of sheering shed weren't rusting away where the sheep rubbed against them.
Aussie Aussie,Aussie.

ShuttleVan1
21st April 2012, 11:25 PM
TO Robo:

Miracle paint is like POR-15

it is a paint that sticks to bare or rusted metal, its like an oily substitute to RUST-preventive paint (which chips away) this thing is chemically formulated to dry in humid conditions. If you paint your undercarriege, doors, inside fenders, trunk ETC. they will never RUST PERIOD!!

just google it to see it in videos