PDA

View Full Version : Cold Weather Auto-start

modustollens
19th April 2012, 09:35 PM
Will be below -45 here in Kazakhstan in winter. Was recommended to me that I put an auto-start in my diesel patrol for winter so that it turns itself on a couple of times each cold night - many of the cars here have this installed.

Anyone here have any experience with an auto start in a diesel with a manual transmission?
MT

AB
19th April 2012, 10:44 PM
Is Auto-Start the same as Aero Start?

You may not get a huge response on this one. In Australia during the colder months some fuel suppliers use a winter blend diesel to stop this....See below.

During unseasonably cold weather some diesel-powered engines will experience
difficulties with starting. These problems arise from the formation of wax crystals, which
block fuel filters and lines. This fuel news aims to inform BP diesel customers who live in
cooler regions of the potential problems that can arise from using diesel during winter,
and how to prevent these problems .
WHAT ARE WINTER DIESEL PROBLEMS?
All diesel fuel contains wax. It is considered an important diesel component because of
its high cetane value. Normally the wax is a liquid in the fuel, however, when diesel fuel
gets cold enough the wax starts to crystallize (i.e. solidify). If the temperature is
sufficiently low, enough crystals will form to block the fuel filter and the engine can stop
through fuel starvation

Silver
19th April 2012, 10:52 PM
crikey that's a bit chilly :-)

I remember reading a novel about an Italian tank crew in the African desert in WWII. Probably petrol, I guess, but used to get up a couple of times in the night to start it up. I guess depending on how close the other side was, you'd want to be able to start in a hurry, first time every time in that situation.

You'll have to get something to remove the exhaust fumes if the car is running in a locked garage?

Is an alternative some sort of plug in electric heater system - I've read about them being used in Canada, Alaska and Nth America, but it doesn't get cold enough here to be an issue. I think in addition to the starting side of things they are also intended to stop things free2ing and being cracked.

I've been shown photos by back packing friends of fires lit under diesel fuel tanks in busses to warm the fuel so it will flow, in remote and cold parts of Asia and India. Ama2ing stuff.

I think you'll get more useful replies from someone on here who lives where it gets cold - and doubtless that was your plan!

modustollens
20th April 2012, 12:22 PM
I have heard about the fuel congealing problem and read that some put kerosene in with the diesel to help prevent that. I have not seen any electric block heaters used here though I have used them in Canada. I don't have a garage but maybe I could find one to rent for winter and keep the vehicle in it, but that won't help if I am not at home - and it will be below -40 even during the day.
I have seen engine blankets on vehicles here too.

I need to speak more with the locals about this via my translator.

MT