PDA

View Full Version : Problem: Rust in upper side doors. Why?

OzzieNorm
19th April 2012, 06:16 PM
G'day folks.
I set out to troubleshoot non-functioning central locking issues [which is NOT the reason for this post]. Removed door trims on both rear passenger doors.

Found some brown stuff. Pls see images.

I can treat the rust.

However, I am looking for suggestions as to how rust might occur in this location [which will lead to options as to how to prevent the matter getting worse].

Anyone seen rust in this location?
What do you reckon are the options for minimising/preventing the current issue getting worse?

Thanks
And, just while we are discussing rust in GU's, where else might rust occur [I as may as well check for more and treat it all at the same time].
Thanks again

NissanGQ4.2
19th April 2012, 07:54 PM
Found some brown stuff. Pls see images.

Hi mate, are you aware you haven't posted any images up???

Cheers

Todd

OzzieNorm
19th April 2012, 08:12 PM
Sorry. System went down whilst I was uploading. Images now attached.

robbo0001
19th April 2012, 08:21 PM
Holy shite mate.....thats bad. (not bad rust, but bad thats its there at all. Glad ya found it!)

Leaking upper window seals,or windows constantly let down a tad in a "beach/ coastal area" would be my guess.
Maybe arms covered in salt water (surfing,diving, kids at beach regularly etc) constantly resting on trim and salt water soaking through.....thats a stab in the dark.

I wanna check mine now....scarey stuff.

Benno7
19th April 2012, 08:25 PM
Mate if you have rust there I would be ripping the carpet up and looking there as well.
Check your rear quarters and behind your mud flaps usually rust in those spots.

MudRunnerTD
19th April 2012, 08:50 PM
Wow! I need to see those pics on the laptop! Only on iPhone now.

How long have you had the car? Do you have the service or ownership history on this thing?

Yep I'd be stripping other things out too and having a really good look around! Give serious thought to an electronic rust prevention system to halt it!

outbackjack
20th April 2012, 07:54 AM
Never seen a GU with rust there.

Some common areas are
Lower part of radaitor support panel
Under rubber strip top of back doors
Under door sill plastic covers

Others may suggest other areas I have missed.

OzzieNorm
20th April 2012, 09:39 AM
Holy shite mate.....thats bad. (not bad rust, but bad thats its there at all. Glad ya found it!)

Leaking upper window seals,or windows constantly let down a tad in a "beach/ coastal area" would be my guess.
Maybe arms covered in salt water (surfing,diving, kids at beach regularly etc) constantly resting on trim and salt water soaking through.....thats a stab in the dark.

I wanna check mine now....scarey stuff.

I can be sure that this vehicle has never been on a beach - nor has it been in a coastal area. Whilst it was built in May 2006, it was not first registered till March 2012, yep, last month. Until then, it was used on a mine (private property) up in the Hunter Valley out back of Newcastle.

OzzieNorm
20th April 2012, 09:46 AM
I associate rust with water or damp. Question is: How would water get to this high lip of the door?

Pls see more images. One image is of the gap between the window pane and the seam in the door - more that 10mm. If a window seal leaked, I'd expect the water to drop down into the door - not jump the gap.

The other image is of the lip on the door trim. This lip sits OVER the metal seam on top of the door metal seam. How could water run uphill to get on top of the metal seam? Unless it comes from the edge of the outside door adjacent to the door handle - and some how runs along the metal seam.

Puzzling...

nissannewby
20th April 2012, 09:54 AM
Did it come from a coal mine? Thise stuff mixed with water can create problems such as yours. A lot of mine sites used recycled water in there wash bays and the wash bays tend to have a bit of pressure. If it has spent a lot of its time on a mine site i would be going over the entire vehicle very thoroughly these site are very punishing to any type of vehicle.

Rip'n'Shred
20th April 2012, 12:55 PM
Not surprised because it was on a coal mine. Recycled water is very acidic. Plus coal has a lot of minerals in it that cause rust.

Not unusual to see rust like that after 1-2 years on site. Must have been looked after.

Sorry to have such bad news.

I would be looking into completely striping out body, remove all fixed glass, everything. Clean, repair, treat, the whole works. That should stop it, but I would also look at electronic rust proofing too.

Rip'n'Shred
20th April 2012, 12:59 PM
I associate rust with water or damp. Question is: How would water get to this high lip of the door?

Pls see more images. One image is of the gap between the window pane and the seam in the door - more that 10mm. If a window seal leaked, I'd expect the water to drop down into the door - not jump the gap.

The other image is of the lip on the door trim. This lip sits OVER the metal seam on top of the door metal seam. How could water run uphill to get on top of the metal seam? Unless it comes from the edge of the outside door adjacent to the door handle - and some how runs along the metal seam.

Puzzling...

Ultra fine coal dust gets into everything and stays there. Coal has moisture in it naturally, so rust starts very easily.

Hope you got the car cheap.

I have seen a hilux with rust in the roof about 150mm back from windscreen! The bottom half of the ARB bull bar fell off from rust. Was only a couple if years old!

taslucas
20th April 2012, 01:08 PM
Ultra fine coal dust gets into everything and stays there. Coal has moisture in it naturally, so rust starts very easily.

Hope you got the car cheap.

I have seen a hilux with rust in the roof about 150mm back from windscreen! The bottom half of the ARB bull bar fell off from rust. Was only a couple if years old!

But it IS a toymota!!! Lol sorry that was an easy target lol.

As has been said above, the mixture of minerals found in any mine area and also the abrasive nature of the dust and dirt speeds up corrosion alot.

tappin it

outbackjack
20th April 2012, 10:34 PM
As all above, Coal Mines would be the absolute worse for rust. The coal dust is very corrisive and washing water is also not really that good. Think you find some mines went to Patrols instead of Troopies because they have dual air bags.

I seen some Patrols advertise cheaply recently, they where in Tamworth, but came from the Hunter.

I would be given the vehicle a complete strip down, check wiring etc etc.

robbo0001
20th April 2012, 11:58 PM
At least 5 years on a mine site......?
That rust is the least of your worries, unfortunately.
As already stated...hope ya got it cheap, or plan on selling it.
Or are willing to take everything off it, including panels....and start the hard work of trying to treat it.
Doesn't sound good.

MudRunnerTD
21st April 2012, 12:09 AM
I can be sure that this vehicle has never been on a beach - nor has it been in a coastal area. Whilst it was built in May 2006, it was not first registered till March 2012, yep, last month. Until then, it was used on a mine (private property) up in the Hunter Valley out back of Newcastle.

Damn! I nearlly asked if it was an ex mines car? What everyone else said from then mate! That's why they go cheap, at least to the first buyer, often then cleaned up and on sold for big profits to poor buggers that then find stuff like that.

outbackjack
2nd May 2012, 11:40 AM
Any updates? Did you buy this car from Tamworth? I know a few for sale there. There was several Nissan Patrols from the Hunter in an auction recently. Some went to a dealer in Tamworth