PDA

View Full Version : Electric fuel pump on diesel

Vl-nitron
19th April 2012, 06:03 PM
Hey all my Gq rd28t has lost alot of power and runs out of puff at 2600 rpm and starts to surge a bit I was thinking it might be a stuffed lift pump and was wondering what electric pump would be suitable to temporarily fix the problem like what psi should the pump be

Rowyshorty
19th April 2012, 06:35 PM
I have a 3 to 6 psi on my 4.2 diesel and it seems good look on eBay they have a few different ones

nissannewby
19th April 2012, 07:06 PM
Its not so much the psi you will need you will need something with good flow (lpm).

purplebus
19th April 2012, 08:35 PM
i had 1 on my td42t but cant remember anything other than it was a bosch, i think vl commo's can be used but not 100% sure. also do the td28's have the little thimble filter in the pump where the fuel line runs into it. these always block up on the 4.2's and cause the same issue as yours. it is just taking the bolt out of the banjofitting , moving the hose without breaking it and removing/cleaning the tiny filter.

Vl-nitron
19th April 2012, 08:38 PM
Purplebus there is a filter on the return outlet on the pump not sure about the inlet I will have a look thanks

Vl-nitron
20th April 2012, 06:45 AM
There is zno filter on the fuel inlet on the pump

purplebus
20th April 2012, 08:48 PM
There is zno filter on the fuel inlet on the pump

its really strange there is a filter on the return but not the inlet..? why would they filter fuel after it has gone through the pump already..? I dont know anything about the 2.8's but maybe ask someone who does. sorry I couldnt help. good luck and keep us posted please.

bobbrumby
20th April 2012, 10:07 PM
its really strange there is a filter on the return but not the inlet..? why would they filter fuel after it has gone through the pump already..? I dont know anything about the 2.8's but maybe ask someone who does. sorry I couldnt help. good luck and keep us posted please.

posibly if the pump grenades you dont get anything downstream???

HammerBuilder
21st April 2012, 10:30 PM
Yep first I would check the return line banjo bolt but what ever you do don't try n pull the filter gauze out or yo'll stuff it, just keep spraying it with carby cleener or throttle body cleaner until no more crap comes out. & how long since you chaned your main feul filter as this is important on these engines, after changing mine I always disconect the outlet port on the filter housing & keep pumping primer n fill the hose to the pump as this can sometimes get air in them n cause a similar problem, even redo this 50 to 100km's after fitting new filter to get all air out of system less chance of cavitation in pump.
try these n let us know how things go...

the ferret
21st April 2012, 11:10 PM
Check all of your fuel line connections, I feel you have air entering the system.
Cheers, the ferret.

Vl-nitron
26th April 2012, 06:28 PM
Replace filter and replaced fuel hose to pump from filter and from steel line to the fuel filter and followed above procedure and has not changed

HammerBuilder
13th May 2012, 08:38 PM
Is your pump leaking anywhere ie have a look on your front diff is it wet looking or is there a drip hanging under the diff, may need pump attention if this is.
also check for cracks in hose going around front of rocker cover n down to turbo as this puts pressure into the diaphram on the inj pump when boost comes on. If not sure of a leak start it up get a warm soapy mix n drip it on this hose with a mate reving it up n down a few times as these engines will still produce bout 3 to 5 psi without being in gear if you stomp on the gas up n down from idle to bout 2600 rpm just look for bubbles if you find any replace the faulty hose.
Also in case you picked up some crap fuel with lumpy bits in it, open fuel cap & disconect fuel hose from chassis to filter then blow air back into tank a couple of times then drain your tank, I know its a crappy job but its either 1 of these or off to the diesel shop to pay out a couple of $K

With mine when it done this I was lucky it was just the filter on return line & air in fuel line from filter to pump. done these n off she went now I alway chuck in Chemtech diesel cleaner & she's cookin never had that prob again..

where in aus are you ??? as some-1 maybe able to call round n have a sqizz

Vl-nitron
13th May 2012, 08:56 PM
I'm in echuca Vic

nissanluvr
13th May 2012, 09:10 PM
Hey bud seen a few have a crook air flow sensor usualy corzs power loss and injectors are pretty common if there been in there for a while.