PDA

View Full Version : Morocco or bust

MrCatastroph
19th April 2012, 02:15 AM
Hi All. I'm a new member here and hoping somebody can help. I run a 1989 safari (GU?) RD28 and it's probably the best thing I ever owned. It currently spends half the year hammering around Ibiza delivering tents and the other half grinding up the 3km track - impassable to pretty much all else - to the house we're building in Morocco, dragging a trailer full of sand or some such and with another 30 sacks in the back and a tree on the roofrack. I service it thoroughly and it seems indestructible
BUT...
there are a few questions I'd like to pick your brains please.

Just had a look at the gear oil and it's frothy/foamy. It was changed last year (20,000kms), full to the bottom of the filler hole. Any ideas?
And it has this bizarre intermittent problem when on the road. I'll suddenly notice loads of black smoke from the exhaust and simultaneously the temp will rise, fast. Throttling back (I rarely drive it over 60mph anyway) dropping a cog, heater on, and taking it very easy for a bit I coax the temp down for a while and then the problem clears and off we go again. There's no regularity or pattern to it and no accompanying sound. I think it happens more often in hilly regions but not always. All the sensors, EGR, etc were stripped off by a previous owner. Again any hints will be hugely appreciated.

Many thanks in anticipation

Dhuck
19th April 2012, 06:53 AM
Welcome to the forum mate.

growler2058
19th April 2012, 07:27 AM
G'day mate welcome aboard Goya friendly mob here fulla great info and advice someone will have suggestions to your issues I'm sure

Tappin N Crappin

macca
19th April 2012, 07:49 AM
Sounds like water in the gear box oil. Have you crossed deep water? And have you got breathers extended above the water depth?
Mine had heat issues untill the radiator was removed pulled apart and cleaned and the block flushed, also the bottom was full of rubbish between the radiator and Air Conditioner coil.
Hope that is a start.
Mate you only want Patrol owners to come visiting? HaHaHa
Be great to see some photos.
Cheers Macca

Maxhead
19th April 2012, 07:50 AM
G'Day and welcome to the forum mate

MudRunnerTD
19th April 2012, 10:18 AM
I reckon you might have a blocked injector or two too, they will be due soon anyways. Everything Macca said is worth checking first though but the black smoke is fuel so likely to be the injectors of the pump.

Welcome to the forum mate. Would love to see some pics from your side of the pond.

Tweakedoffroad
19th April 2012, 02:40 PM
G'day mate welcome aboard great bunch with some good info and advice here so feel free to jump in and contribute were you can
Sounds like an awesome place got any pics

MrCatastroph
19th April 2012, 07:50 PM
Thanks for the welcome, fellas, and the advice. After posting I thought my efforts would be met by snorts of derision at the very mention of a puny 3km track. It seems long enough in low ratio first but I remember almost 400 miles of corrugations destroying my combi and my sanity in NSW in the 80s.

Re the smoke, black smoke being mixture, injectors or injector pump was my first thought so I had the former reconditioned and the latter tested (not in Morocco I might add!). Problem still there. Then i thought faulty egr but found it already blocked. New fuel and air filters of course. Still there!! I've run out of ideas now. The engine does blow blue smoke, not badly but new rings, guides etc are on the list to do.
On the gear oil, I've been in one river, not so deep. I'll change the oil again and see what happens.

I'll try to post some pics in a few days when I've sorted them out again. The coolest wagon in N Africa was broken into in Spain recently and everything nicked - God grant them death, as they say here.

timbar
19th April 2012, 10:21 PM
G'day Mate - Welcome aboard join in when you are ready and have fun mate plenty to do see and if u have any problems just ask and im sure u will get an answer !! Bucket loads of usefull information here plenty to read so join in meet the great bunch of guys and girls on our wonderful forum !!

You will not be disapointed !!

ENJOY and WELCOME

Tim

macca
20th April 2012, 10:09 AM
Maate a 3klm L1 drive way, how good is that? :driving2:
Have to have a 2WD one for the rest of the family though :1087: