PDA

View Full Version : no engine

matt2611
17th April 2012, 11:16 PM
hey guys just bought a 96 gq ute missing an engine originaly ran a td42 gbox still in car wots my cheapest options to get this thing runnin was thinkin rb30 turbo how hard will this be to convert? thanks

MudRunnerTD
17th April 2012, 11:22 PM
Finding another TD42 to drop into it will be the easiest and likely the cheapest to be honest mate. No Engineer, No adaptor kit. Drop in Drive away.

Also the best potential to make money on the car later if you want to sell it. Go the TD42!!!

matt2611
17th April 2012, 11:27 PM
yeah thought so wot sort of money we talkin for a td42, also this ute has leaf all round is this still ok for 4wdin

growler2058
17th April 2012, 11:37 PM
yeah thought so wot sort of money we talkin for a td42, also this ute has leaf all round is this still ok for 4wdin

Itll be fine not as flexy as coils but shell get ya where ya wanna go mate

SUPER SLUG
17th April 2012, 11:39 PM
about $2000 to $4000 but you could be lucky and get a cheaper one
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Patrol-GQ-GU-TD42-Engine-extractors-gearbox-wiring-complete-conversion-diesel-/251042732869?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a73501b45

matt2611
17th April 2012, 11:43 PM
nice one thanks mate

matt2611
17th April 2012, 11:50 PM
is the leaf sprung chassis a year thing or just a cheaper model?

MudRunnerTD
17th April 2012, 11:55 PM
is the leaf sprung chassis a year thing or just a cheaper model?

early model. Then they put coils under the cab i think and leafs on the back then came the Coil Cab which is a Gem. For big loads on the back the Leaf sprung is the bomb though mate.

Benno7
18th April 2012, 12:10 AM
early model. Then they put coils under the cab i think and leafs on the back then came the Coil Cab which is a Gem. For big loads on the back the Leaf sprung is the bomb though mate.

I had a 1998 gq front and back leaf ute

MQ MAD
18th April 2012, 09:32 AM
hey guys just bought a 96 gq ute missing an engine originaly ran a td42 gbox still in car wots my cheapest options to get this thing runnin was thinkin rb30 turbo how hard will this be to convert? thanks

TD42 , easiest and cheapest option
Whats with this RB30 turbo rubbish
Its a real mans toy not a poser
They go alright in commos , but not in 4bies, unless you throw some serious coin at them
4 leaf spring suspension is good and compared to coils well not as good
The leaf spring set up is still avaliable on some things new
Nothin at all wrong with it, tried and trued reliable system
How is this ute as a package, got much rust , chassis good, are the spring shackles good ???
Just seeing if its worth spending the money that a TD42 can command

MQ MAD
18th April 2012, 09:34 AM
I had a 1998 gq front and back leaf ute

I think you could get a GU ute with 4 leaf spring
Just a commercial thing

nissannewby
18th April 2012, 12:06 PM
LEaf rears are still available to this day.
Full leaf GQ's run to about 94.
Every model from then had atleast coils in the front.
Sorry to burst a few peoples bubbles but leaf springs if setup correctly will flex just as good if not better than coils. Coils are just comfy :).
As for your engine just stick with the 4.2 everything is already there no mods needed and are relatively cheap as said from 2k up to about 6 for a brand new one. I would get the coin together and source a td42t motor.

matt2611
19th April 2012, 12:08 AM
cheers for the reply haha rb30 rubbish, its just that i have a complete rb30 at work and it only ows me 200$ thought it might be a cheap option. Ute in pretty sweet cond little rust on the bottom of the rhs door and the bonet interior is excelent new tyres arb front/rear air lockers they sold me:biggrin:

matt2611
19th April 2012, 12:13 AM
nice one nissannewby thats wot i wana hear!

nissannewby
19th April 2012, 01:50 PM
I had a 1998 gq front and back leaf ute Yours may have had a cab swap if you still had i would have checked the numbers on the cab matched the numbers on the chassis.

MQ MAD
19th April 2012, 02:42 PM
Sorry to burst a few peoples bubbles but leaf springs if setup correctly will flex just as good if not better than coils. Coils are just comfy :).
Absolutely....
If i want a ute or whatever that can handle big heavy loads, itll be leafy suspension over coils anyday
As for flex , well for a road registered daily driver (throw in some weekend duties) how much flex do people want ...
Comp trucks , serious off road rigs ,thats different

MudRunnerTD
19th April 2012, 04:08 PM

Absolutely....
If i want a ute or whatever that can handle big heavy loads, itll be leafy suspension over coils anyday
As for flex , well for a road registered daily driver (throw in some weekend duties) how much flex do people want ...
Comp trucks , serious off road rigs ,thats different

You will struggle to find a Coil sprung car that will achieve the Front Flex that a Leaf sprung will get straight out of the box! Guys spend $1000s trying to get the front to flex and fail, a Front Leafy will blow you away for front flex!!

Crazy Articulation.

taslucas
20th April 2012, 01:34 PM
You will struggle to find a Coil sprung car that will achieve the Front Flex that a Leaf sprung will get straight out of the box! Guys spend $1000s trying to get the front to flex and fail, a Front Leafy will blow you away for front flex!!

Crazy Articulation.

Lol and then rattle your teeth out on the way home!

tappin it

eddietrx
25th April 2012, 04:27 PM
Yeah find a turbo TD42 and chuck in it