PDA

View Full Version : Front drivers side spring perch damage

BigMav
17th April 2012, 06:59 PM
I was doing some work on the maverick today and pulled the top plate off the drivers side spring perch and didn't like what I found. Some fairly severe rust. The bump stop needs replacing which is why I was in there in the first place. As you can see not much left of the nut that holds it on. The passenger side was spotless by the way. Anybody got any ideas. I'm thinking I might have to cut one from a wreck. Don't know the legalities of rewelding it back on the chassis though.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using Tapatalk 2

nissannewby
18th April 2012, 11:55 AM
I like the over spray lol. A motorbody builder would be your best bet for repair as they can engineer it and are certified to do such repairs. Some mounts you can buy through nissan but getting one off a wreck would also be the go.

BigMav
18th April 2012, 02:38 PM
Yeah the overspray is part of the cleanup I'm in the process of repainting the chassis and underbody at the moment. I think I will try and clean it up as best as I can, put some rust converter in and leave it for the moment and just keep an eye on it until I address all the other issues there are at the moment. It sounds like it could become costly very quickly. The part which supports the top of the spring doesn't seem to be damaged too much its really just the centre part which is what the bumpstop bolts through so not really holding anything in place except for the bumpstop. I would suggest if anyone out there hasn't checked under these covers to do so as I have a feeling I won't be alone on this one especially if you own an earlier model like myself which has had plenty of time offroad.

nissannewby
18th April 2012, 02:49 PM
I removed mine and threw in the bin a quick hose out after wheeling and all sweet

BigMav
18th April 2012, 04:03 PM
I'm guessing you don't have enough articulation in the front end to even use the bump stop effectively then. I think this job might go on the backburner for a bit.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using Tapatalk 2

nissannewby
18th April 2012, 04:45 PM
I meant the plates not the bump stops should have specified lol

BigMav
18th April 2012, 05:31 PM
Yeah fair call the plates are basically useless unless you really want to fill the damn spring perch with mud and water. Nothing available from Nissan so I will have to explore other avenues eventually. Know any decent repairers on the northside of brissy who can do such a job?

nissannewby
18th April 2012, 05:53 PM
Theres a mob at narangba MRF give them a call and see if they can help you out.
47 Sodium Street Narangba QLD 4504
(07) 3888 1608

BigMav
19th April 2012, 12:17 PM
Cheers mate I will do just that when I get her all back together, cheers.

bordertech
20th April 2012, 09:45 PM
One of the first things I did when I got a Patrol was throw those covers in the bin, I thought "what a stupid idea they are". Cleaned up the surface rust, primed and painted them, drilled bigger drain holes, never had a problem and oooh so easy to clean mud out.