PDA

View Full Version : 2000 gu 220,000kms

beexy
17th April 2012, 02:35 PM
hey all. looking at a 2000 gu. has had a lot a $$$'s put into it. has done 220,000kms. how would i know if nads has been done to it(would ask the owner but its at a dealership) also what would i be looking at price wise for a 220,000km service. cheers everyone for the help im useless when it comes to mechanical stuff.

jimmyz
17th April 2012, 04:15 PM
Hi beexy
Search ZD30 and make your mind up after reading many different views.
They dont give the early GU 3.0L a good rap

Jimmy

Rusty86
17th April 2012, 04:57 PM
That's a tough one. '00-'01 ZD30 I would generally steer clear of, especially with higher kms. Although it could have a new engine in it already, unless it's been rebuilt 100% properly it could potentially fail again for similar reasons. The dealer will most likely have no idea what you're talking about with NADS, or will be doing his best to cover up the fact that these engines have the 'grenade' reputation.

You should be able to see if NADS have been done - in the car either on the drivers pillar or somewhere on the dash you would see a boost gauge and EGT gauge, and under the bonnet you'll be able to see the dawes valve, needle valve and catch can if you know what you're looking for (check the reference doc for installation pics, or search 'dawes install' catch can install', 'NADS install' etc to see other people's set ups)

Don't be too swayed by what mods or accessories the car has, most aren't too expensive or hard to do, you mainly want the car to be mechanically sound with a good history. It could be fully kitted out with accessories but if the engine fails it's not much use at all. Things like upgraded exhaust or intercooler etc are things which may be of more value though.

Don't know about the 220K service cost, you'd most likely want to get the car fully checked out by a reputable diesel mechanic and things fixed after that on their recommendation. 200k is a major service for the GU so if it's had everything looked at and serviced correctly there might not be much to do besides normal oil and filter change. Others will know more about this than me though...

What price do they want for it?

And by the way....we're assuming it's a ZD30, so if not, ignore most of my post haha :)

Cheers,
Rusty

macca86
17th April 2012, 05:35 PM
mine is a 2000 dx with a 3003 zd30 motor I paid 20 000 for it a year ago with steel bullbar and side steps uhf cb radio and rear draws that was with 160 000km on the clock. As others have said look up build theads to see what the nads is and if it's not done cost 300 or 400 to do cheaper if you do it yourself

beexy
18th April 2012, 08:26 PM
cheers guys. and yeh is a zd30. i suppose the eyes lit up a bit when i saw it. ill look a little further into it.

Rusty86
18th April 2012, 08:40 PM
Yep, not saying you would never buy a certain year or model no matter what, but it pays to do some research and have some knowledge under your belt before you pull the trigger. And most of the time you can learn from other people's mistakes! :)

There are a lot of Patrols out there so if you know what you're looking for I'm sure you'll grab a good one :)

For comparison too, I paid $22,500 for my '04 GUIII ZD30 with 180K on the clock about a year ago.

Cheers,
Rusty