PDA

View Full Version : Crack in Barn Door - Is this a problem??

Rusty86
17th April 2012, 12:41 AM
This crack has been in the door since I bought the car around a year ago. I know it's a common problem especially when carrying a larger than stock tyre (mine are 285/75/16).

The crack has not got any bigger at all and the door is still very stable, is this something I need to worry about in the near future? What are the consequences or remedies?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Cheers,
Rusty

oncedisturbed
17th April 2012, 12:57 AM
I have exactly the same problem on my 4.8 2009 GU. It hasn't got any bigger but it is caused by the bigger tyres on the back (previous owner). 1st thing is to take the tyre off the back but bearing in mind once this is removed, the door will move up without the weight so there will be a bit of clicking coming from the locking mechanism (grease etc fixes this).
2nd - the only way to fix it is to get another door or remove the 1 you have, strip it back, weld the cracks, respray etc and then re-fit it again.

megatexture
17th April 2012, 01:05 AM
are you or anyone you know handy with a welder ? the glass would more then likely need to be removed in order to do it properly and not effect the rubber seal or possibly new door from a wrecker might be an easier option, maybe someone else may have a better idea.

seems like a strange place to crack from the extra weight as it is above the tyre and isnt realy takeing the load. how are the hinges?

Rusty86
17th April 2012, 01:07 AM
Cheers, yeah thought that would be the solution, but that sounds like an unnecessary cost/effort if it's not going to get any worse. I guess it'll be best to keep and eye on it and if it starts feeling unstable then consider my options. Mine is an '04 so yours seems to have happened fairly quickly in the car's life for an '09, could've still made it under warranty?

Mine's only a 33" AT, some guys leave a 35" muddy hanging which I can see would cause problems after a while.

Cheers,
Rusty

oncedisturbed
17th April 2012, 01:13 AM
i have 33 AT's on mine, not sure what the previous peeps had on it. Nissan refuse to cover it under warranty as they state it is over-used or used greater than it's intended purpose.

hinges are fine, no issues there at all. Nissan refuse to acknowledge that there is an issue as it is reasonably common issue, if you notice the pic closely, you can see it is just above a seam weld

Rusty86
17th April 2012, 01:15 AM
are you or anyone you know handy with a welder ? the glass would more then likely need to be removed in order to do it properly and not effect the rubber seal or possibly new door from a wrecker might be an easier option, maybe someone else may have a better idea.

seems like a strange place to crack from the extra weight as it is above the tyre and isnt realy takeing the load. how are the hinges?

Nah don't know any welders and I'm generally pretty average with things like that... A wrecker might be an option though...

The crack is only slightly above the tyre, looking at it it sorta makes sense, but yes I carefully checked the hinges because I thought they would be affected too, but no, all good, hinges are very strong and no signs of cracks or movement. I have read of barn door cracks being quite common so I assumed this was the area they cracked after I saw mine, has anyone had them cracking in other areas?

Maybe the type of terrain the car's driven would play a part - the original owner set it up and took it around Aus for a few trips. Maybe extensive driving over corrugations etc have taken their toll?

Cheers,
Rusty

jet
17th April 2012, 11:04 AM
It is a common problem, I had mine repaired under warranty, they welded a small plate inside but did require the glass to be removed which is tricky as it has that rubber edging on it and thats easy to stuff up getting it out.
I never had larger than
The crack is already quite bad and yes eventually that will break through the pillar section. Only option then is replacement and theres a real chance the glass could break in the mean time (thats really big $$)

Id get it repaired, try to find out who can do it, Nissan might help finding them

the ferret
17th April 2012, 11:14 AM
I'd be inclined to fit standard tyres and hook it back to Nissans and make a lot of noise!!
The door is not standing up to it's intended purpose as far as I'm concerned.
Cheers, the ferret.

megatexture
17th April 2012, 11:16 AM
nissan wont do anything for free id just look around yourself, did they give you any indication what the repairs cost? as opposed to a 2nd hand door

cairnsGU
17th April 2012, 02:04 PM
Mine has carried standard wheel on back since 2001. After reading this i went and had alook. Small crack visable in the door. Would drilling hole at end of crack stop it spreading cause i wanted to put my 285-75-16 on the door.

Dan

Rusty86
17th April 2012, 02:46 PM
It is a common problem, I had mine repaired under warranty, they welded a small plate inside but did require the glass to be removed which is tricky as it has that rubber edging on it and thats easy to stuff up getting it out.
I never had larger than
The crack is already quite bad and yes eventually that will break through the pillar section. Only option then is replacement and theres a real chance the glass could break in the mean time (thats really big $$)

Id get it repaired, try to find out who can do it, Nissan might help finding them

How come the glass is such a hassle and expensive? Do you know what Nissan charged for the job even though it was under warranty?

I'd be inclined to fit standard tyres and hook it back to Nissans and make a lot of noise!!
The door is not standing up to it's intended purpose as far as I'm concerned.
Cheers, the ferret.

Not sure how'd I'd go at Nissan seeing as I'm the 3rd owner and car is well out of warranty (although I 100% agree this shouldn't be happening even with a slightly bigger tyre). I also don't have the standard tyres at all, so they would try and shut me down pretty quickly with the same response as 'oncedisturbed'.

nissan wont do anything for free id just look around yourself, did they give you any indication what the repairs cost? as opposed to a 2nd hand door

I havn't looked into it at all, but my car is going in for a service this week so I'll ask my mechanic what he would recommend. I would be happy just to strengthen it so there's no chance of it breaking through the pillar section, so maybe just welding a plate in as mentioned would do the trick.

Have there been any cases here on the forum where the door has actually come apart or far enough for the glass to break?

Thanks for all your responses so far, very helpful :)

jet
18th April 2012, 11:39 AM
It wasnt that expensive but there was some skill/experience involved, have to weld up inside door somehow and get that expensive glass out
The glass is dear because its a nissan only part and rubber forms part of it. I recall small window was $700 when I smashed one. Might be better options now.

Cracks are common where corrugations and dirt roads, some use the wheel carrier for hi lift jacks etc too so Nissan have some justification fighting warranty repairs.

oncedisturbed
18th April 2012, 11:44 AM
From memory i was quoted $1100 for the complete repair, prep, weld, respray etc

megatexture
18th April 2012, 07:07 PM
i doubt it i imagin it would just continue on the weakest point

eddietrx
25th April 2012, 03:38 PM
My advice just keep a eye on it and if it starts to get worse then worry about fixing it

Mike_fnq
22nd May 2014, 04:25 PM
Just had this fixed in my GU for $762

mudski
27th May 2014, 08:20 PM
Just had this fixed in my GU for $762

Feck! I just saved myself some big coin...

megatexture
27th May 2014, 08:46 PM
It wasnt that expensive but there was some skill/experience involved, have to weld up inside door somehow and get that expensive glass out
The glass is dear because its a nissan only part and rubber forms part of it. I recall small window was $700 when I smashed one. Might be better options now.

Cracks are common where corrugations and dirt roads, some use the wheel carrier for hi lift jacks etc too so Nissan have some justification fighting warranty repairs.

700? mine was 380 including tinting! for the small door where do you live maybe thats the diffrence?

mudski
27th May 2014, 08:51 PM
700? mine was 380 including tinting! for the small door where do you live maybe thats the diffrence?

I was quoted $400 and above for a second hand door. I paid $375 for a Mig welder and around another $50 on paint and stuff and am doing it myself. Nearly finished, clear coat tomorrow then its done. The way I did it the frame is 20times stronger than before. So depending if they just welded the crack or reinforced it the cost would differ a lot I think. But 7hunge. Gulp!

megatexture
27th May 2014, 08:54 PM
I was quoted $400 and above for a second hand door. I paid $375 for a Mig welder and around another $50 on paint and stuff and am doing it myself. Nearly finished, clear coat tomorrow then its done. The way I did it the frame is 20times stronger than before. So depending if they just welded the crack or reinforced it the cost would differ a lot I think. But 7hunge. Gulp!

yea i was shatterd when they said 380 for a stupid little bit of glass like that but 400 for the whole door isnt too bad then.

mudski
28th May 2014, 08:34 AM
Yeah but $400 for a door and zero guarantee that it won't happen again....Hopefully my welding skills will hold up to a 35...

threedogs
28th May 2014, 08:44 AM
To me it looks like a gusset plate needs to be made with the same profile about 100mm and fully welded in.
As Mega suggests remove the rubber and glass, sand it back to bare metal and tack in the gusset then fully weld .
OR,,, you could weld as is and quench the weld with a very wet rag as you weld small bits at a time.
This may save a lot of time and have you back on the road earlier.
To me this would not hinder door seal or the way it closes

mudski
28th May 2014, 10:23 AM
I didn't remove the glass. I just took my time at welding it up so it wouldn't get too hot. I did make a very strong brace for the inside of the door skin.
Nearly finished, just about to apply the clear coat then I'm done. I will start a new DIY thread soon on this for other to see....