PDA

View Full Version : Recovery Points

Rusty86
17th April 2012, 12:24 AM
I've searched a few other threads regarding GU recovery points but looking under the front of mine it's hard to work out what's the same as other pictures I've seen.

I am aware that the U-shaped hook thingy is more of an emergency recovery point if you're caught short, it's the other eyelet things - are these just tie-down points or can I attach rated recovery U-shackles straight to these?

Otherwise something like this would be the go and bolt on around that same area? http://www.lukeys4x4.com/products/recovery-pointsGU-GQ.html

Cheers,
Rusty

oncedisturbed
17th April 2012, 12:32 AM
i would swap them to the one's like in the link you posted, that is very good price for the pair. I will look at ordering a set myself as all the others I have seen are 95-125 each

megatexture
17th April 2012, 12:46 AM
you can use the tie down points as long as you use a tree trunk protector or simular(rated) short strap attached with 2 bow shackles one on each tie down point and thread the tree trunk protector threw the snatch to even the load (don’t use a bow shackle to attach the snatch to the tree trunk protector).
hope this makes sense

Rusty86
17th April 2012, 12:53 AM
So these are actual factory recovery points do you think? They look quite strong but I know that doesn't mean much when it comes to a hard recovery.

Man $95 EACH that seems a lot for a small metal plate doesn't it ??!! :jawdrop: I thought that was a lot for the pair! haha

I will look into getting these maybe and the tow hitch and shackle and the rated shackles (in a recovery kit) are pretty cheap at the moment from the Tigerz11 website

Cheers

megatexture
17th April 2012, 01:20 AM
they are tie down points and arent realy designed to be used as recovery points personaly i would fork out the 95$ for the pair just to be safe you wouldnt want to use the tie down points in a serious boghole.

the site says $95 for the pair also.

twisty
17th April 2012, 10:07 AM
G'day Rusty. I've got a set of recovery points (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?6196-Shreq.-A-mid-life-crisis&p=162488&viewfull=1#post162488) from Outback Ideas (through my local 4x4 part supplier). The eyelets are tiedown points and the hook is a tow point (not snatch recovery) but get used for that anyway. Hope this helps.

growler2058
17th April 2012, 10:45 AM
Guys check this forum out http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/forumdisplay.php?57-4x4-Safety I would only ever use Rated Recovery Points. $100-150 for recovery points that are rated/fit for porpose is 2/3 of stuff all compared to a death or serious vehicle damage

taslucas
17th April 2012, 01:00 PM
Guys check this forum out http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/forumdisplay.php?57-4x4-Safety I would only ever use Rated Recovery Points. $100-150 for recovery points that are rated/fit for porpose is 2/3 of stuff all compared to a death or serious vehicle damage

I think the link is wrong? Just takes me to an introduction page? Am I missing something growlers?

tappin it

growler2058
17th April 2012, 01:12 PM
Yep its the headline page but there is shiploads ofrecovery info there if ya look down that page at all the posts, not any one in particular, but its all on safety

taslucas
17th April 2012, 01:19 PM
Yep its the headline page but there is shiploads ofrecovery info there if ya look down that page at all the posts, not any one in particular, but its all on safety

I only see one page with 10 posts, no recovery info.....? Is it perhaps because I'm on tappatalk at the mo?

tappin it

megatexture
17th April 2012, 01:20 PM
something worth mentioning is an article in 4x4 action mag(#156) where they did test on snatch straps to breaking limit and a wet strap can 14% less than a dry one tested with tjm strap and a strap with a few twist had a 25% drop in load limit tested with a terrain tamer strap.
Sometimes u can’t help getting it wet but its easy to take out the twist

MudRunnerTD
17th April 2012, 01:31 PM
I think the link is wrong? Just takes me to an introduction page? Am I missing something growlers?

That link takes me to the menu page for the Safety section of the Forum.

growler2058
17th April 2012, 01:32 PM
I only see one page with 10 posts, no recovery info.....? Is it perhaps because I'm on tappatalk at the mo?

tappin it

Ill try it on my crappatap an get back to ya

growler2058
17th April 2012, 01:33 PM
Works alright for me on tappacrappa mate

MudRunnerTD
17th April 2012, 01:48 PM
you can use the tie down points as long as you use a tree trunk protector or simular(rated) short strap attached with 2 bow shackles one on each tie down point and thread the tree trunk protector threw the snatch to even the load (don’t use a bow shackle to attach the snatch to the tree trunk protector).
hope this makes sense

The weakest link in a recovery is your enemy, using a "Tie Down" point is very bad advice sorry mate, DO NOT DO THIS EVER! Regardless of the rigging you set up, your connected to a TIE DOWN POINT. There is Zero effort by the manufacturer to make this a rated point and it is for Tying down your Broken car to a flat bed for shipping only.

The first pic in this thread is a Nissan Rated Recovery point, assuming that you wanted to use a Bridle setup as you described you would need one of these on each chassis rail to set up a central point. EvilTwin has posted some awesome details on how to do this in other threads in the Safety section. Recovery-Bridles-(Equalising-Straps)-and-understanding-Sling-Loads (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?3628-Recovery-Bridles-(Equalising-Straps)-and-understanding-Sling-Loads&highlight=sling+angle+load)

they are tie down points and arent realy designed to be used as recovery points personaly i would fork out the 95$ for the pair just to be safe you wouldnt want to use the tie down points in a serious boghole. the site says $95 for the pair also.

Much Better Advice! ^^^^ What he said ^^^^

megatexture
17th April 2012, 02:15 PM
err same person...

MudRunnerTD
17th April 2012, 02:46 PM
err same person...

Crazy isn't it!!

:icon_driving:

ozzymalone
17th April 2012, 03:38 PM
Call me silly but how do the rated recovery points (as seen on the orignal link) fit to the vehicle? Straight forward bolt on jobbies or do you have to drill the chassis? Probably silly i know but hey i'm learning :p

P.S. Sorry :hijacked:

Rusty86
17th April 2012, 03:52 PM
Call me silly but how do the rated recovery points (as seen on the orignal link) fit to the vehicle? Straight forward bolt on jobbies or do you have to drill the chassis? Probably silly i know but hey i'm learning :p

P.S. Sorry :hijacked:

I did wonder this too, because from memory someone had trouble and had to grind a section down or something before it would fit. They are manufactured for GUs and GQs so I think that's why there are multiple holes for bolts, but they would definitely bolt straight on or maybe the tie down points would need to be removed (if possible) or the tow hook removed, then bolt straight on, I don't think you'd need to drill into anything. Others will know more than me so I'll leave it to them for expert comments :)

nickpeacock36
17th April 2012, 03:56 PM
i would think that anything bolted to the chassis is only as strong as the bolts used.

the evil twin
17th April 2012, 04:01 PM
i would think that anything bolted to the chassis is only as strong as the bolts used.

The hi tensile bolts are waaaay stronger than the chassis and if the point fails due to excessive load it is usually because the rated point and bolts tear the wall out of the chassis rail.

ozzymalone
17th April 2012, 04:19 PM
And anything welded to the chassis is only as strong as the welds.....geez im confuddled! ;)

nickpeacock36
17th April 2012, 04:48 PM
The hi tensile bolts are waaaay stronger than the chassis and if the point fails due to excessive load it is usually because the rated point and bolts tear the wall out of the chassis rail.
Thats what gets me about the brackets you can buy for $100 - $150. They are only rated to what they are bolted too and the bolts used. Its the point they are bolted to that needs rating.

MudRunnerTD
17th April 2012, 04:56 PM
Thats what gets me about the brackets you can buy for $100 - $150. They are only rated to what they are bolted too and the bolts used. Its the point they are bolted to that needs rating.

Yes you will need High Tensile bolts. These recovery points are designed to bolt tot he Chassis using Factory installed Captured Nuts on the Inside of the Chassis Rails. You would need to tear the Chassis rail side out for it to fail!

nickpeacock36
17th April 2012, 05:00 PM
I understand that is as good as its going to get, but im sure that some vehicles that have seen plenty beach work would have less steel thickness than a brand newey. I use the Nissan supplied hook at the moment as i cant see that thing failing any worse than an aftermarket one. i just wish they supplied 2 of them.

MudRunnerTD
17th April 2012, 05:11 PM
I understand that is as good as its going to get, but im sure that some vehicles that have seen plenty beach work would have less steel thickness than a brand newey. I use the Nissan supplied hook at the moment as i cant see that thing failing any worse than an aftermarket one. i just wish they supplied 2 of them.

Agreed. You can go to the Wreckers and find a Patrol that still has the one on the front and there is a spot on the Left side that it will bolt straight too ;)

nickpeacock36
17th April 2012, 05:33 PM
Agreed. You can go to the Wreckers and find a Patrol that still has the one on the front and there is a spot on the Left side that it will bolt straight too ;)
That's a good idea. I'm gonna have a look for one. Cheers Mate.

threedogs
26th June 2012, 03:29 PM
Hi once disturbed, I'm John from Outback Ideas, just letting you know all recovery points are mainly copies of mine. if they tell you they designed them they are telling porky pies. All my recovery points are proof rated to match the tow rating of the particular vehicle. they are then destruction tested to acheive a min. of 15t break. most copies are not rated some even made of questionable steel. do your homework. i have points to suit all Gus even large radiator models. check your local shops.

Stropp
26th June 2012, 06:08 PM
Hi once disturbed, I'm John from Outback Ideas, just letting you know all recovery points are mainly copies of mine. if they tell you they designed them they are telling porky pies. All my recovery points are proof rated to match the tow rating of the particular vehicle. they are then destruction tested to acheive a min. of 15t break. most copies are not rated some even made of questionable steel. do your homework. i have points to suit all Gus even large radiator models. check your local shops.

mate if you havent then post up in the vendor thread a link to your website or where you can get them.

threedogs
26th June 2012, 07:23 PM
Danny from 4WD TV is working on the web site, hopefully not much longer, all the main shops sell them TJM, ARB, and Opp loc. As I said mine are RED with a yellow sticker most others are copies from low lifes who have had no imput into design, testing or fitment. just copy them for a quick buck at my expense.

DSPIES
27th June 2012, 06:40 PM
Threedogs, i've been looking for a decent recovery point for ages for a gu3 4.2 diesal with the low radiator.

Most of the ones i have seen have either been incorrectly advertised and don't fit, or they don't come forward enough which would prove very difficult to get a D-shackle in. - i think ppl recommend the prado ones but the above mentioned problem occurs.

i can tell you the flat plate with the 3 bolt up holes will not fit and the only decent one i have seen on the net are Lukeys but they don't allow for both a shackle and a hook like some of the plates for other vehicles.

Trust me when i say i have checked my local and non local shops around melb and i can not find a suitable front recovery point my 4by. And you wont find Outback Ideas ones anywhere on the net unless every store has decided not to show them as available.

So.. if you sell them, please tell me where i can get one!? or see one!? Or could you please post a pic of one? or PM me info about them?

cheers

skinna13
1st July 2012, 05:08 PM
Hi Guys, does anyone have a pic with the new/aftermarket recovery points on the front of the patrol? I have looked up my patrol (GU07) and can only see where i can possibly bolt on one aftermarket recovery from Lukey's 4x4 like everyone has posted about, this would be to the drivers side where the heavy duty hook type factory one is already there.
I have a genuine nissan wrap around bullbar (heavey duty) so i am not sure if this is using the wholes required to fit there.
For the rear i have a Kaymar dual tyre bumper and have just taken the tall ball and tongue out and replaced with a toe hitch.

Any help would be greatly appreciated for a noob :)
Cheers

threedogs
1st July 2012, 05:14 PM
Please read my Vendor thread, might clear up heaps of questions or PM me, OUTBACK IDEAS recovery solutions I do 3 styles to suit the front of different models and a few to replace the loop, happy to do custom ones as well . Also LUKEY did not 1, design those plates they copied them from me, 2, would not think they are rated mine are. your call buyer beware I say

Sir Roofy
1st July 2012, 05:30 PM
Threedogs, i've been looking for a decent recovery point for ages for a gu3 4.2 diesal with the low radiator.

Most of the ones i have seen have either been incorrectly advertised and don't fit, or they don't come forward enough which would prove very difficult to get a D-shackle in. - i think ppl recommend the prado ones but the above mentioned problem occurs.

i can tell you the flat plate with the 3 bolt up holes will not fit and the only decent one i have seen on the net are Lukeys but they don't allow for both a shackle and a hook like some of the plates for other vehicles.

Trust me when i say i have checked my local and non local shops around melb and i can not find a suitable front recovery point my 4by. And you wont find Outback Ideas ones anywhere on the net unless every store has decided not to show them as available.

So.. if you sell them, please tell me where i can get one!? or see one!? Or could you please post a pic of one? or PM me info about them?

cheers

mate if you use your browser and type in outbackideas .com.au it should come up

threedogs
1st July 2012, 05:37 PM
I am Outback Ideas, Think Dspies is sorted out now,

Sir Roofy
1st July 2012, 05:44 PM

i knew that, but he said he couldnt find you im not much good at this computer stuff but i found you

threedogs
1st July 2012, 06:10 PM
Gee your well ahead of me, I'm old school and hate computers with a passion, but they have their place when they work

NissanGQ4.2
15th July 2012, 07:30 PM

R you sure about that, you don't sound convinced *LMAO*

grayz
12th August 2012, 09:15 PM
Hi guys,

Fitted my ARB recovery point this weekend. I have a 2010 GU7 with factory steel bulbar. Here are a few pics of the installation..

A few notes:
- Have cut a bit of the plastic part of the bash plate to fit the recovery point. The horizontal steel part of the bash plate also needs a bit grinding off before I fit it back on. I might have a look at some after market bash plates instead .. the instructions that come with the ARB recovery point have a template cutout to modify the ARB bash plate to fit the recovery point.

- I also had to file then drill out the three holes on the vertical chassis rail with a M14x1.5 tap drill as there were a few tack welds that had blocked the holes slightly.

- Torque spec was 121 Nm for the 5 bolts.

- May lose a small bit of approach angle on the right hand side, but its only for that small area. I haven't measured it yet.

Cheers,
Nick

MEGOMONSTER
12th August 2012, 10:06 PM
Hi guys,

Fitted my ARB recovery point this weekend. I have a 2010 GU7 with factory steel bulbar. Here are a few pics of the installation..

A few notes:
- Have cut a bit of the plastic part of the bash plate to fit the recovery point. The horizontal steel part of the bash plate also needs a bit grinding off before I fit it back on. I might have a look at some after market bash plates instead .. the instructions that come with the ARB recovery point have a template cutout to modify the ARB bash plate to fit the recovery point.

- I also had to file then drill out the three holes on the vertical chassis rail with a M14x1.5 tap drill as there were a few tack welds that had blocked the holes slightly.

- Torque spec was 121 Nm for the 5 bolts.

- May lose a small bit of approach angle on the right hand side, but its only for that small area. I haven't measured it yet.

Cheers,
Nick

Now that's a. Big chunk a lead

DX grunt
13th August 2012, 08:35 AM
Here’s my front recovery points. I’m sure it’s got a long radiator in it. It’s an ex Telstra 4.2 TDi ute.
Not sure if the company makes them any more, but it will give you some thought.

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/BoatHarbourTripprep002.jpg

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/BoatHarbourTripprep001.jpg

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/DXgruntfrontrecoverypoints002-1.jpg

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/DXgruntfrontrecoverypoints001.jpg

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/Mods-CBrecoverypointsmpcradle002.jpg

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/DXgruntfrontrecoverypoints002.jpg

Take care out there.

Rossco

Thirsty
13th August 2012, 07:25 PM
Here’s my front recovery points. I’m sure it’s got a long radiator in it. It’s an ex Telstra 4.2 TDi ute.
Not sure if the company makes them any more, but it will give you some thought.

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/BoatHarbourTripprep002.jpg

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/BoatHarbourTripprep001.jpg

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/DXgruntfrontrecoverypoints002-1.jpg

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/DXgruntfrontrecoverypoints001.jpg

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/Mods-CBrecoverypointsmpcradle002.jpg

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/DXgruntfrontrecoverypoints002.jpg

Take care out there.

Rossco

Thats an awesome bit of gear. Well made.