PDA

View Full Version : Heater in 91 GQ not working.

Barrie71
16th April 2012, 09:08 PM
Hi Everyone
My heater in 91 Gq is not working..that is to say the fan is working but heater is not heating.I have not had it long so don't know how long it has not worked for.Cables behind instrument panel are ok and hoses under bonnet seem ok.I have looked for a similar post but can't find one.Can any one steer me in the right direction to fix it myself.
Any help is appreciated.
Cheers
Baz:smiley_thumbs_up:

Benno7
16th April 2012, 09:24 PM
Hi mate, Have you checked if you have a thermostat?

97_gq_lwb
16th April 2012, 09:36 PM
Two hoses run through the firewall from your engine about a 1/2 inch diameter they are for your heater take them off at the engine side and run the hose through one.
Water should flow freely when your heater is turned on if not the shut off valve is probably blocked or not working.
And it is probably a good idea to let the hose run for a bit anyway until the water is clear as the heater cores block up.

Barrie71
16th April 2012, 11:08 PM
I have not checked if i have a thermostat.Will take a look.

Barrie71
16th April 2012, 11:10 PM
I will run the hose through 2moz .Thanks mate.

Barrie71
17th April 2012, 12:32 AM
If the thermostat is not cactus and the shut off valve is working correctly ,what would be my next step. or is it a good bet to be one of the two?

97_gq_lwb
17th April 2012, 09:10 AM
Good chance it will be one of the two check where the hoses fit on to the engine as well sometimes the fittings corrode and block up with crap as well.
Not much else it can be really.
The heater fan does have a tendency to fill up with leaves and crud might be worth cleaning that out whilst your at it.
Their is a write up on here somewhere with pics and all.

And if you replace the thermostat buy a genuine one.

GreenGQ
27th August 2012, 05:23 PM
Does it matter which way the hoses are connected, ie is the top pipe on the firewall the inlet or outlet or doesn't it matter?

Irvs
27th August 2012, 05:56 PM
Yeah my girlfriends dad flushed his out because it stopped working, he said he was shocked the amount of crud that came out the either side. Hopefully it's that simple for you mate.

davo94
27th August 2012, 08:13 PM
Hi mate,

is it getting to operating temp? Does the temp gauge rise soon after warm up?