PDA

View Full Version : GU 5th gear problem

Fity
16th April 2012, 11:07 AM
I was talking to someone the other day and they said that the 5th gear in a ZD30 gearbox are notoriously weak. The 5th gear in a TD42 gearbox is slightly longer as is the mainshaft spline to suit.

Has anyone else heard this?

the evil twin
16th April 2012, 03:23 PM
"... Notoriously weak... "... Rubbish!

In fact it was the early GU TD42's that were blowing 5th gear because of a shorter spline.
There are threads on here and other Forums with piccies etc.
Nissan increased the spline length and the problem was resolved.

The ZD30 5th gearing is no weaker nor stronger than the average 'modern' box with overdriven ratios

Fity
16th April 2012, 04:55 PM
I have a GQ TD42 box and had thought about using it in the GU, but at 600k km it may need a rebuild.

the evil twin
17th April 2012, 12:30 AM
I have a GQ TD42 box and had thought about using it in the GU, but at 600k km it may need a rebuild.

Sorry, bit confused about the reason for initial the question... were you considering bolting the GQ TD42 box to a GU ZD30 because of what was said?

Fity
17th April 2012, 12:06 PM
I am fitting a TD42 into a GU with a ZD30. I was initially going to keep the ZD30 box and just swap over the bellhousings. I have the gearbox from the GQ I am taking the TD42 out of and after hearing that there may be a problem with 5th gear in the ZD30 boxes I thought using the GQ box may be a better idea.

I did find this thread.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?3204-GU-5th-Gear&highlight=gear

(can't search for 5th as it is to short a search term, makes searching hard)