PDA

View Full Version : Pat Callinans review of the GU8

Bob
16th April 2012, 07:45 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxv2NFMuiuU

Mike Oxgood
16th April 2012, 09:47 PM
About time there was a locker. Anyone reckon they'll be bale to retrofit to earlier models? I expect if you could it might be exxy. $$$$

Rumcajs
16th April 2012, 11:42 PM
am I the only cynic here, god, what a joke, so they make a rear diff locker standard, what about a front diff morons? Adding ESP because they're forced to than tweaking extra function to ABS somehow passes of as you beaut must get Patrol. What about making it with better engine, decent tranny and increased payload and better modern dashboard etc for us the plebs who wanna use the bloody thing to explore this great country of ours.
Keep the chrome and bling of Y62 for Arabs, Yanks and Toorak neighborhoods.
I have to give to Pat though at least he called the chit for what it is "flogging the tired old horse". Patrol brand is being left to die slow miserable death of irrelevance. What a shame. Nissan has a plenty of bits in the parts bin to modernize Patrol with minimal fuss and cost yet it lets the mighty brand to fall. Outsmarted and outplayed by competitors, I hope someone will get the good kick in the nuts at Nissan corporate hole for this disgrace.
Cheers

BigMav
17th April 2012, 09:10 AM
Yeah you can keep all the electronic traction gadgetry but the vacuum diff lock is a nice addition. Not like its a new thing though, there are plenty of dirty old GQ's around with factory vacuum diff lock. Like you said its the engine that needs to go. You would think that Nissan would look at the prices of 06 Patrol's with the TD42T (the very last year with the trusty 6 cylinder) are getting on the market. These vehicles cost more now than what they did brand new. We need a large capacity 6 cyl turbo diesel again.

the ferret
17th April 2012, 11:18 AM
I wonder if Nissans have solved the problem of the rear door cracking?? same door!! same problem, but it's not their fault, after all, you drive it!!lol

Waka
17th April 2012, 10:00 PM
I think you get a lot of car for a bit over $50k so i think it's pretty good! There's no way i could afford a Land Cruiser nor a prado for that matter. any major upgrades and it would be out my price range. so it suits me fine as is.

Waka

jet
18th April 2012, 11:22 AM
Pretty sure from around 2005 theres a reinforcing plate inside the door frame

Maxhead
18th April 2012, 11:45 AM
am I the only cynic here, god, what a joke, so they make a rear diff locker standard, what about a front diff morons? Adding ESP because they're forced to than tweaking extra function to ABS somehow passes of as you beaut must get Patrol. What about making it with better engine, decent tranny and increased payload and better modern dashboard etc for us the plebs who wanna use the bloody thing to explore this great country of ours.
Keep the chrome and bling of Y62 for Arabs, Yanks and Toorak neighborhoods.
I have to give to Pat though at least he called the chit for what it is "flogging the tired old horse". Patrol brand is being left to die slow miserable death of irrelevance. What a shame. Nissan has a plenty of bits in the parts bin to modernize Patrol with minimal fuss and cost yet it lets the mighty brand to fall. Outsmarted and outplayed by competitors, I hope someone will get the good kick in the nuts at Nissan corporate hole for this disgrace.
Cheers

Each to their own I suppose. I kind of agree with you but what are you doing driving a Patrol If you reckon they are so crap and competitors are so good? I looked around when I purchased mine recently and unless you have $100k plus you get nothing that compares to the Patrol and even then you don't get no where near what you pay for. Patrol is $50k and you expect a V8 diesel and 7 speed auto with that do you?
Yes, Nissan had to go with VDC to meet Vic regulations and had to put a locker in the rear as LSD would not work with VDS, but so what? As I see it, it's still one of the best and toughest vehicles money can buy.
Nissan has nothing to worry about, even if they don't sell any Patrols here they would not even notice.

When's the LandCruiser coming mate?

macka82
18th April 2012, 07:48 PM
I have just bought a gu8. Can't beat the value for money. $49k driveway and it's one of the most capable trucks in aus. Have been very happy with mine.

jm2004
18th April 2012, 08:25 PM
GU8 has definitely made me think seriously of upgrading to a Patrol. In fact it was also the trigger why I joined this forum (yes, still new here :)

Maxhead
18th April 2012, 08:59 PM
. Outsmarted and outplayed by competitors,
Cheers

Also, I think Nissan is the one who has outsmarted the competition keeping a very capable 4WD affordable to Australians. They're selling like hot cakes as no one can afford anything else.

GU 8
22nd April 2012, 08:13 PM
As everybody knows from the sales figures and the capability, the competitior is scratching their head, wondering why did they ever price themselves out of the market, Value for money says one thing "PATROL"..

NissanGQ4.2
22nd April 2012, 09:31 PM
As everybody knows from the sales figures and the capability, the competitior is scratching their head, wondering why did they ever price themselves out of the market, Value for money says one thing "PATROL"..

Welcome 2 the forum GU 8, when you get a chance drop past the Introduction section found here:

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/forumdisplay.php?2-Introductions

and tell us a little bit about yourself and your rig

Cheers

Todd

P.S: Real value for money would be if you bought a GQ *L*

filodore
24th April 2012, 10:32 AM
Cool video, wish I had the money to buy one of those maybe. Back to what I think is probably 4WD-101 class, and this could probably use a new thread but since it is mentioned here with regards to the GU8... They mention the diff lock so does that mean that both front of both rear wheels spin at the same rate, so one cannot spin faster than the other, hence they are 'locked'? But then, isn't that what 4WD mode does anyway? Or does 4WD mode simply allow all 4 wheels to receive power from the engine instead of the just 2 of them? If so, why do you need to change direction for 1m so that your axles are no longer locked when getting out of 4WD mode? As you can see, I'm a little confused haha.

BearGUST
24th April 2012, 10:47 AM
Cool video, wish I had the money to buy one of those maybe. Back to what I think is probably 4WD-101 class, and this could probably use a new thread but since it is mentioned here with regards to the GU8... They mention the diff lock so does that mean that both front of both rear wheels spin at the same rate, so one cannot spin faster than the other, hence they are 'locked'? But then, isn't that what 4WD mode does anyway? Or does 4WD mode simply allow all 4 wheels to receive power from the engine instead of the just 2 of them? If so, why do you need to change direction for 1m so that your axles are no longer locked when getting out of 4WD mode? As you can see, I'm a little confused haha.

They are talking about a "cross-axle diff lock" which locks the left and right wheels together.
You are right, the transfer case does lock the front and rear drive shafts together but without any cross axle lock you can potentially only have 2 drive wheels (one front and one rear).

filodore
24th April 2012, 11:17 AM
They are talking about a "cross-axle diff lock" which locks the left and right wheels together.
You are right, the transfer case does lock the front and rear drive shafts together but without any cross axle lock you can potentially only have 2 drive wheels (one front and one rear).

I think I get it now? I didn't realise the lock is between the front and rear shafts. I thought it was between the left and right. That clears it up a little.

frenzy
24th April 2012, 05:25 PM
Value for money. That's why I've got a Patrol.

filodore
24th April 2012, 06:28 PM
who else gets a little excited when they pass another patrol on the road? :P trol pride! haha

gregs
24th April 2012, 07:50 PM
I think I get it now? I didn't realise the lock is between the front and rear shafts. I thought it was between the left and right. That clears it up a little.

The new patrol has a vacuum operated rear diff lock (cross axle). The transfer case locks both driveshafts together in 4wd (high or low range). If you have open diffs at both ends then effectively you only have a 2 wheel drive vehicle even when in 4wd. It is not until you have a cross axle difflock at the front and rear that you have a true 4wd. There are some good traction control systems out there today but nothing can replace the cross axle difflock. The 2012 GU8 patrol also has some sort of traction control (apparently).

Forced Offroad
24th April 2012, 07:54 PM
there are plenty of dirty old GQ's around with factory vacuum diff lock.

Hey easy there mate, old but there not Dirty. :)

Waka
24th April 2012, 08:24 PM
who else gets a little excited when they pass another patrol on the road? :P trol pride! haha

yeah I do! i also look to get the attention of the driver at red lights…especially if their patrol has some aftermarket accessories...but no one appears to as enthusiastic as me???