PDA

View Full Version : gq brake upgrade????

mav345
15th April 2012, 08:07 PM
now on an upgrade what brakes can i run with what size wheels ??/
will ti twin piston go with 15 inch same with some gu i have seen with 15 inch wheels??
cheers brett

4WNUT
15th April 2012, 08:12 PM
I have twin pistons on my gq running 15" rims and dont have any dramas

mav345
15th April 2012, 08:16 PM
what rotor and caliper do you have ? gq twin piston??

I have twin pistons on my gq running 15" rims and dont have any dramas

nissannewby
15th April 2012, 08:51 PM
Not much in the likes of upgrades unless you swap front diff out to a GU which gains more than just better brakes (larger cv's etc) A good thorough service of the brake system making sure all calipers,slides,seals and fluid are all up to spec. As for upgrading if you go to twin piston calipers you will have to change the rotors to suit as well as there are a few different thickness in the rotors and they should fit in 15" wheels. If you wanna go all out there is a company in WA which does a substantial upgrade to the front utilising gtr gear but you need to run atleast 16" rims i think.

4WNUT
16th April 2012, 11:05 PM
what rotor and caliper do you have ? gq twin piston??

Yep later model gq twin piston calipers, rotors and bolts

Robo
17th April 2012, 01:28 AM
Yep later model gq twin piston calipers, rotors and bolts

I can confirm gtr rims are alloy.
16 inch.
and very little clearance between cal and rim.
you may possibly get away with 15" steel rims but you would be pushing the envelope.
calipers are 4 pot alloy block.
nissan rotor 296mm x 32mm
brembo rotor 312 and up from memory.
even larger available also, but some dont use all disc surface "smaller pads" than disc capable of handling so worth asking supplier questions first.
and don't forget engineering is needed.

Clunk
5th May 2012, 11:21 AM
does any one know what year the twin piston came out on the GQ? and how would I know if mine are twins or singles?................. sorry not very mechanically minded!!!!!

edit: is it only the GQ EFi that has twin piston brakes? I gather thats only on the front as well? So singles on the rear?

Looking at replacing the rotors as they may be warped, getting a bit of steering wheel shimmy under braking at any speed.

Brembo I've heard of and had on me old Golf GTi, does anyone have any experience with RDA? or any others for that matter?

NissanGQ4.2
5th May 2012, 12:31 PM
does any one know what year the twin piston came out on the GQ? and how would I know if mine are twins or singles?................. sorry not very mechanically minded!!!!!

edit: is it only the GQ EFi that has twin piston brakes? I gather thats only on the front as well? So singles on the rear?

Looking at replacing the rotors as they may be warped, getting a bit of steering wheel shimmy under braking at any speed.

Brembo I've heard of and had on me old Golf GTi, does anyone have any experience with RDA? or any others for that matter?

Link for you clunk, sorry I have no exp with RDA

http://brakewarehouse.com.au/catalog/index.php?cPath=0_42_707_708&osCsid=cfa3r03fhi7dv9b4rhqd594504

Clunk
5th May 2012, 01:05 PM
Link for you clunk, sorry I have no exp with RDA

http://brakewarehouse.com.au/catalog/index.php?cPath=0_42_707_708&osCsid=cfa3r03fhi7dv9b4rhqd594504

cheers mate, also seen em on ebay too

gec
5th May 2012, 01:08 PM
Gday Clunk, I have RDA rotors on my Patrol and they are fine, although I do prefer DBA, I found the RDA pads to be crap so I use Bendix, next time I may try those Green pads if they are not too expensive,as I have heard good things about them.

Clunk
5th May 2012, 01:12 PM
Gday Clunk, I have RDA rotors on my Patrol and they are fine, although I do prefer DBA, I found the RDA pads to be crap so I use Bendix, next time I may try those Green pads if they are not too expensive,as I have heard good things about them.

was yours an EFI before you had your conversion done? Oh hold on, you son has an EFI doesn't he, do you happen to know if he has twin piston brakes on his?

gec
5th May 2012, 01:18 PM
Yeah he has the twin piston front calipers and 15 inch rims, and mine was the old carby TB42 so I have got the single piston jobs.

Clunk
5th May 2012, 01:21 PM
Yeah he has the twin piston front calipers and 15 inch rims, and mine was the old carby TB42 so I have got the single piston jobs.

thanks for the info mate, wasnt able to find a definitive answer in me manual or here.

gec
5th May 2012, 01:23 PM
No worries, probably coming down for the Dwelly wander on the 27th so may see ya there.

Clunk
5th May 2012, 01:33 PM
No worries, probably coming down for the Dwelly wander on the 27th so may see ya there.

Yeah saw on the WPC....... Nice one. Still not sure if I can make it, tis the handbrake's b'day on 26th, so will have to wait n see.

Anyway, reckon I might go with the RDA's and Bendix pads..... Cheers GEC

Taps a lot!!!!!!

mav345
6th May 2012, 10:34 AM
does any one know about the rear brake bias valve? the front pads are worn out and the rear ones are like brand new, over brakes on the front (locks front too easily).
cheers brett

bordertech
9th May 2012, 10:29 PM
does anyone have any experience with RDA??Yep I run RDA slotted on the front and DBA kangaroo paw on the rear. RDA & DBA are made in the same factory from the same materials except for DBA gold series and their other top end stuff which is made in Oz.

mav345
27th May 2012, 06:52 PM
i adjusted the bias valve by grinding out the holes to set the spring to a length of 207 mm as per the w/shop manual dont have any gauuges to test the brake pressures though.

MudRunnerTD
27th May 2012, 09:23 PM
Hey Clunk I have slotted RDA rotors on my GQ and have had a great run out of them. I would happily fit them again.

If you are getting a bit of a shimmy under braking then you probably have a warped disk. This is generally cause from doing river crossings at the bottom of long hill decents with hot brakes into cold water. This is what cause mine.

I make a note of stopping for a minute or 3 before a river crossing if I think my brakes have had a work over.

nissannewby
27th May 2012, 11:03 PM
I dont think i would get slotted again mine tend to fill up with mud and thats the way they stay til i give em a hit with the pressure cleaner. If the warp isnt to bad you may be able to get them machined but at the cost of new ones these days (cheap) mat just be easier to swap em out.

Clunk
27th May 2012, 11:07 PM
I dont think i would get slotted again mine tend to fill up with mud and thats the way they stay til i give em a hit with the pressure cleaner. If the warp isnt to bad you may be able to get them machined but at the cost of new ones these days (cheap) mat just be easier to swap em out.

Cheers mate, just gonna get new ones instead of messin about getting them machined........ Had slotted in an old Golf Gti, so much better at stopping than with solids, different cars I know but

Taps a lot!!!!!!

Richo460
28th May 2012, 08:38 AM
:hijacked:
My GQ stops like crap, it scared me the first time i drove it. Its got 33" muddies and aside from proper maintenance on the brake system i need to do something. Its an 88 GQ wagon so its got the single pot front discs and rear drums.

what do you guys recommend i could do to get it to stop better?
I was thinking new slotted discs and a kit through the calipers. not sure, how long is a piece of string?

mav345
11th June 2012, 10:57 AM
try the brake proportioning valve is working and correctly adjusted.
cheers brett

:hijacked:
My GQ stops like crap, it scared me the first time i drove it. Its got 33" muddies and aside from proper maintenance on the brake system i need to do something. Its an 88 GQ wagon so its got the single pot front discs and rear drums.

what do you guys recommend i could do to get it to stop better?
I was thinking new slotted discs and a kit through the calipers. not sure, how long is a piece of string?