PDA

View Full Version : Longer bump stops=more travel im confussed??

growler2058
15th April 2012, 03:13 PM
Im getting a headache trying to visualise this. If i put extended bump stops in i'll get more travel, i cant get my head around this. I thought that reducing upward travel would also reduce down ward travel as the axle is solid and pivoting, so what goes up would be the same as what goes down as in distance??? Brain pain can Benny or nissanewby put up a picture how this works. I believe ya I just cant visualise. Understand a longer travel shock just not the bumpstop bit:icon_bonk::confused:

Ben-e-boy
15th April 2012, 03:17 PM
If you lower your bump stop you can fit a longer compressed length lenth shock

growler2058
15th April 2012, 03:19 PM
Ive got the sketch pad out now. Sooo the extended stop will act like a pivot to help push the other side down??? Giving me more travel down on the other side (said out loud to meself very slowly)

Ben-e-boy
15th April 2012, 03:23 PM
I have put pics of the extensions on here I'll try and find em

Ben-e-boy
15th April 2012, 03:24 PM
Ive got the sketch pad out now. Sooo the extended stop will act like a pivot to help push the other side down??? Giving me more travel down on the other side (said out loud to meself very slowly)

exactly it will twist ( in a good way)

Ben-e-boy
15th April 2012, 03:27 PM
type extending bump stops into the search bar I have put pics of the pad on the diff.

nissannewby
15th April 2012, 03:31 PM
Your effectively changing the pivot point once fully compressed on one side. In your photos your shock length will be whats stopping your down travel in the rear. Extending your bumpstops will also aid with traction as if you can get the length spot on the tyre wont foul on the body/chassis allowing your rear diff to work properly so 2 wheels spin which we all know = more traction.

Ben-e-boy
15th April 2012, 03:32 PM
you can alway come on a holiday to Qld and see it for your self

growler2058
15th April 2012, 03:40 PM
you can alway come on a holiday to Qld and see it for your self

Done itll be next year tho got thailand this year and no $ left after. Plus my folks are at Landsborough so fairly close to some of you boys I think good excuse to come play ;-)

Ben-e-boy
15th April 2012, 03:45 PM
Done itll be next year tho got thailand this year and no $ left after. Plus my folks are at Landsborough so fairly close to some of you boys I think good excuse to come play ;-)

quite close mate within an hour or 2 to most of the SE QLD group.

nissannewby
15th April 2012, 03:45 PM
Plus my folks are at LandsboroughRight next door to the humble glasshouse playground

bordertech
17th April 2012, 03:49 PM
Ive got the sketch pad out now. Sooo the extended stop will act like a pivot to help push the other side down??? Giving me more travel down on the other side (said out loud to meself very slowly)Eggzackery. But the main reason for doing it is to stop longer travel shocks from bottoming out before full shock compression thus preventing damage to them. The added bonus is that it will act like a pivot and help push the opposite tyre down on the ground (only limited by your shocks extended length) with more pressure giving better traction.
I had to reduce the bump stop gap in the front of my GQ by 70mm so the front shocks didnt bottom out. The gap before was about 200mm, now about 125mm.

BigMav
19th April 2012, 12:20 PM
What are peoples thoughts on extending the front shock tower instead of increasing the bump stop length when fitting longer shocks to the front end? Would need a bodylift I would imagine.

bordertech
20th April 2012, 09:41 PM
Thats another way of doing it. You get the same travel, just less droop from the body, more uptravel.