PDA

View Full Version : Hi all new member about to buy first patrol!!!

jimt
12th April 2012, 09:51 PM
Hi all this forum looks great. Im looking to buy my first Patrol. I have a limited budget and am looking at a 2000 GU 2.8 with 140k on the clock. As a novice with limited mechanical knowledge are their any things I should look out for before buying?

growler2058
12th April 2012, 09:59 PM
Gday mate welcome aboard gotta friendly mob here fulla great info and advice.

AB
12th April 2012, 10:02 PM
Welcome to the forum mate, good luck with the purchase and make sure you come back and let us know how you went.

Have a good read of these threads below and feel free to ask any questions.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?5938-What-to-look-for-when-buying-a-2003-ST-manual-Patrol&highlight=2003+patrol
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?5088-buying-a-gu-nissan-patrol-on-tight-budget&highlight=buying+2.8+patrol

jimt
12th April 2012, 10:04 PM
Thanks after reading some of the threads it looks like theres plenty of answers out there

Tweakedoffroad
12th April 2012, 11:01 PM
G'day mate welcome aboard great bunch with some good info and advice here so feel free to jump in and contribute were you can

vixim
13th April 2012, 01:19 AM
Howdy mate, This forum is great. I recently bought and quite simply I think: take your time. There are plenty out there and there will always be another one coming, so no need to rush a decision.

Clunk
13th April 2012, 01:28 AM
g'day mate and welcome aboard, definitely take your time and not that I'm biased or anything, would you look at a GQ???????................. you can get yourself one on great condition for around the 7-8k mark and then you got yourself some spare cash for any mods you may wish to do

Maxhead
13th April 2012, 06:33 AM
G'Day and welcome to the forum mate. I'm hope you find what you're looking for

Dhuck
13th April 2012, 06:52 AM
Welcome to the forum mate.

Drew
13th April 2012, 08:32 AM
Welcome :bananarock:

Finly Owner
13th April 2012, 11:30 PM
Hi and welcome to Nissans Nut House, don't forget to chuck up some pics once you get your Troll

Tim

Rusty86
13th April 2012, 11:56 PM
Welcome, it's a very friendly forum with some great info :)

wildgu6
14th April 2012, 12:42 AM
G'day & welcome aboard Mate
Great lot here with tons of advice, adventures and experiences to share
Hang around and Jump in where ever you feel comfortable.

Enjoy, Cheers Pete

Yabba tappa doo

Bigrig
14th April 2012, 09:57 AM
G'day mate and welcome aboard - great people, information and laughs to be found on here, so join in to make the most of it!!!

Enjoy!!

gbab01
14th April 2012, 10:30 AM
Hi. About 12 months ago I bought a 2000 GU 2.8TD with 118,000 on the clock. Immaculate thanks to the previous owner. He had added everything to it to do the big trip but never went so I reaped that benefit. I think it is a great vehicle but you do need to accept the quirks of the motor in regard to lack of power on start up. From a lot of research I get the feeling that most that own the 2.8 are happy with them and there is a bit of negative press from those that have never driven one. Of course the 4.2 would be better, but it is all money and I was really concerned about the 3.0 issues after coming across a 2007 GU with a blown motor which. I am not mechanical but again from research I think the 2.8 are fairly trouble free with the exception of head problems later in life? I am sure there will be someone on the forum with expert knowledge on that. Make sure the service/oil is done every 5000 kms. Recently towed a 19 ft van from SA to Darwin and back with no trouble. Sat on 100 kmh a NEVER towed in 5th gear (I think that is advice for all of the Patrols). Used it off road in the Flinders over easter (Gill Track - fairly tough in places) and it performed great. I have added a DONATOR chip which I use sparingly (on and off switch) which made a big difference to the power and drivability. Good luck with the search.

Spar
15th April 2012, 04:27 PM
Not many around with that low km, and usually they fetch top dollar. :)

PHT33
16th April 2012, 09:31 PM
G'day and welcome, just joined up also and already looks like a good forum :D

timbar
19th April 2012, 10:28 PM
G'day Mate - Welcome aboard join in when you are ready and have fun mate plenty to do see and if u have any problems just ask and im sure u will get an answer !! Bucket loads of usefull information here plenty to read so join in meet the great bunch of guys and girls on our wonderful forum !!

You will not be disapointed !!

ENJOY and WELCOME

Tim