PDA

View Full Version : Introducing myself

lukeincairns
10th April 2012, 09:32 PM
Hi All,
My name is Luke. I have a 98 GU patrol, 2.8 Turbo. Almost 250,000k. I have been rough on it. I regret to confess that services are prompted by my conscience rather than the odometer. I got it as a demonstrator with 4000k on the clock. Mostly trouble free, the clutch started slipping at I think 125,000k. I was offered a full rebuild or a "fix".. I opted for the fix, and 100,000k later clutch is still OK. Over the years I've done some towing, but nothing heavier than normal. The first timing belt I had done by others, but I now sorely regret not doing the crankshaft and cam seals. As I undertake the 200,000k timing belt replacement, I am in a cesspool of diesel oil and sludge where it should be bone-dry. Please,whoever reads this, DO THE SEALS !!! every time. I uuumed and aaahed about water pump replacement, and decided that for $80 I didn't want to repeat the exercise. However, even after +/- 250,000k the water pump I removed was indistinguishable from the new one. GODv bless the ant-freeze.
I have already received some great advice about the timing belt issue, for which I will try to find the correct place to post a word of gratitude, but as I undertake the project ( not finished yet ) i think I may have a pointer for the next punter ( person )
cheers
lukeincairns

growler2058
10th April 2012, 09:36 PM
Gday Mate welcome aboard gotta friendly mob here fulla great info and advice

fixer982
10th April 2012, 10:31 PM
Welcome to our Forum, Luke. We hope you have lots of fun here. Lots of useful advice but ignore Growler's chilli tips. LOL

the ferret
10th April 2012, 11:18 PM
Welcome Luke, don't forget to replace the tensioner and idler, and loctite the harmonic bolt.
Do up the bottom 2 bolts in the timing cover before the harmonic balancer goes back on (tip)
Cheers, the ferret.

Bigrig
10th April 2012, 11:35 PM
G'day mate and welcome aboard - great people, information and laughs to be found on here, so join in to make the most of it!!!

Enjoy!!

Dhuck
11th April 2012, 06:57 AM
Welcome to the forum mate.

45/70
11th April 2012, 11:41 AM
Welcome to the forum Luke, we are sending Russel Ingall around for a chat about your car abuse.LOL.

Maxhead
11th April 2012, 07:21 PM
G'Day and welcome to the forum mate

Finly Owner
11th April 2012, 09:41 PM
Hi and welcome to Nissans Nut House Luke

Tim

rusty_nail
11th April 2012, 09:44 PM
g'day mate, welcome to the forum. hope ya enjoy your stay and find the site useful!

Tweakedoffroad
12th April 2012, 12:49 PM
G'day mate welcome aboard great bunch with some good info and advice here so feel free to jump in and contribute were you can