PDA

View Full Version : Jack advice

vixim
10th April 2012, 05:25 PM
Hi. I need some advice about a jack for a GQ with 4" lift. (Yes I just got a car and it has no jack in it - mind you I knew that when I bought it).
I just want a jack for changing tyres, not for recovery purposes. Ground to chassis clearance is 45+cm. Am I looking at a bottle jack? A potentially dangerous highlift? Or can I jack from the axle with something smaller? Any advice appreciated.
Thanks.

mick.
10th April 2012, 05:42 PM
As you normally jack from under the axle housing the lift makes no difference. I can still get my patrol which has 35s on it up enough to change a tyre with the factory bottle jack. So you could just chase up a bottle jack from the wreckers or buy a new one.

Here's A link to heaps of options. http://www.mechanicstoolswarehouse.com/Bottle-Jacks-C129.aspx?gclid=CIzsjPjdqa8CFQZNpgodfGOnWw

Cheers Mick.

vixim
10th April 2012, 05:49 PM
Great mick, thanks for the quick response.

dan&tamspatrol
10th April 2012, 05:56 PM
hi mick i run 35s to was wanting to know wat lift u run with the 35s as i have have 3 inch and 35s and have been using trolley jack for changing tyres

mick.
10th April 2012, 07:17 PM
I usually use a trolley jack myself but the standard bottle jack does do the job in your on the side of the road when your desperate. I've even changed 37s over with my bottle jack on my old GQ only just though.:biggrin:

I've got a 4 inch lift but with all the accessories probably sits more at 3 inches then 4.

Cheers Mick.

dan&tamspatrol
11th April 2012, 06:23 AM
cheers mate good to know

Maxhead
11th April 2012, 06:51 AM
How about a exhaust jack or a high lift if you have bit of room. I have used hi-lifts for a while now and they are OK if you are being cautious and have half a brain...LOL

I just bought an exhaust jack which should be brilliant but mine hasn't worked yet because of a angle cut tail pipe end. I just need to cut the end of mine and should work like a charm...haha or a good excuse to upgrade to a 3" LOLOL

vixim
17th April 2012, 12:51 AM
Thanks for the tips. I've got a simple 6000kg bottle jack with 125mm travel from one of the chain stores which does the job from the axle. It doesn't fit into the existing jack recess inside the back, but a i can mod the recess with a side cutting drill bit easy enough.