PDA

View Full Version : Hid Headlights.

Superoo
10th April 2012, 10:14 AM
Hi all, can someone briefly explain what is involved in turning my existing headlights on my GU 03 Patrol into HID ones.

Thanks John. :1092

nissannewby
10th April 2012, 10:54 AM
There are kits around mate. Majority are plug and play they just plug into your existing loom run wiring and install new bulbs and off you go. Higher quality kits come with fitting instructions and wiring diargrams and they are quite easy to fit.

Rob's DX
11th April 2012, 11:29 AM
Hi all, can someone briefly explain what is involved in turning my existing headlights on my GU 03 Patrol into HID ones.

Hi John,
I have been looking for a while now. I think I have decided to go with the Ntech ones from Ebay. They are 55W high and low beam. Item number: 110846382315. A little over $200, but the dealer is in Australia and all parts are kept in Sydney. Well worth it I think if I have trouble.

What did you decide on??

Cheers
Rob

GRA.GU
11th April 2012, 01:42 PM
Fellas, before you commit yourselves, just check out this site.
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html
I liked the analogy of the different reflectors being a bit like trying to use someone elses spectacles. I've read of quite a few people having fitted the HID and being flashed on low beam by approaching drivers, some to the extent where they've taken them off - it is after all illegal. By contrast the conversion of driving lights is legal and seems to be quite successful according to owners, although the Daniel Stern article would caution you on self appraisal. Interesting too the idea that the greater foreground light could actually reduce your ability to see distances.

Rosco
11th April 2012, 03:23 PM
I HID'd my GQ headlight and recon it is nearly the best mod I did to the car. After having a super loom with 80/100 H4 globes and still bad low beam I went HID.
It was such a improvement driving the Vic high country that I didn't need to use high beam on the dirt roads. Now the lightforce's need HIDing. More money. Oh well.

mick.
11th April 2012, 04:47 PM
Here's another option. This is actually a complete kit which gives you the same quality as the factory HID kits in the Prestige cars. Apparently these kits give you full use of the HID set up without blinding oncoming traffic like the standard ebay kits do. I'm about to buy a kit for mine to replace the candles Nissan call headlights. That's actually the kit to suit the GU patrol also.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=237

Cheers Mick.

Timbo
11th April 2012, 05:11 PM
Been thinking of taking my HiD's out honestly. While I love them dearly, I know they are illegal and it's only a matter of time I get picked up for them and fined.

brucemacca
11th April 2012, 07:17 PM
I fitted HIDs to my Zook (my other 4WD), they worked well, the reflector shape is right for the conversion. My friend tried them in his GU Patrol and had no end of trouble, wrong reflector shape and the difuser on the glass caused problems. He had to buy a new headlight assembly designed to run HIDs. I will be not be converting, but will run HID spotties.

04OFF
11th April 2012, 10:38 PM
Fellas, before you commit yourselves, just check out this site.
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html
I liked the analogy of the different reflectors being a bit like trying to use someone elses spectacles. I've read of quite a few people having fitted the HID and being flashed on low beam by approaching drivers, some to the extent where they've taken them off - it is after all illegal. By contrast the conversion of driving lights is legal and seems to be quite successful according to owners, although the Daniel Stern article would caution you on self appraisal. Interesting too the idea that the greater foreground light could actually reduce your ability to see distances.

Many people are starting to get annoyed with these clowns that have illegal aftermarket HID low beams installed, they always justify that the aftermarket HIDs in "their" car, do not annoy "anyone", because they have never been "flashed" ......"no not once, not one single time, never at all" flashed by any on coming cars ever !..............well, thats 100% proof they never annoy anyone right there ! :icon_bonk::1087::confused:

Well let me just clear things up for you guys, ive been blinded "many" times by HID's and ive "never" flashed "my" lights at the other car, why ? well firstly im too busy trying to see the road, often having to use one hand to shield my eyes, and second, using my high beam will then blind other road users, and anyway, more often than not, the HIDs that give me a headache (literally) are in cars behind me !

So if you are thinking about getting some illegal HIDs because you "need" to see better/further, please dont be a ignorant pig, and concider the other road users, and only convert your high beam/spot lights etc (not the lights you have on during city driving)

Winnie
11th April 2012, 10:40 PM
I put a HID kit into my old Falcon in the stock lens. First time I drove in the night I got flashed 3 times... took them out that weekend.
Would love a full projector kit for the Patrol but can't justify the cost.

Tweakedoffroad
12th April 2012, 12:54 PM

Hey mate I sell these as well as kits to upgrade spot lights

Superoo
13th April 2012, 07:32 AM
Thanks everyone for all your comments it seems that according to the response I might save up and do the job properly instead of the EBay option.

Cheers John.

Rosco
13th April 2012, 09:48 PM
Yes John and you will need to re adjust your lights also.

Dingo55
14th April 2012, 06:14 AM
Many people are starting to get annoyed with these clowns that have illegal aftermarket HID low beams installed, they always justify that the aftermarket HIDs in "their" car, do not annoy "anyone", because they have never been "flashed" ......"no not once, not one single time, never at all" flashed by any on coming cars ever !..............well, thats 100% proof they never annoy anyone right there ! :icon_bonk::1087::confused:

Well let me just clear things up for you guys, ive been blinded "many" times by HID's and ive "never" flashed "my" lights at the other car, why ? well firstly im too busy trying to see the road, often having to use one hand to shield my eyes, and second, using my high beam will then blind other road users, and anyway, more often than not, the HIDs that give me a headache (literally) are in cars behind me !

So if you are thinking about getting some illegal HIDs because you "need" to see better/further, please dont be a ignorant pig, and concider the other road users, and only convert your high beam/spot lights etc (not the lights you have on during city driving)

x 2 - I couldn't agree more. Unless fitted professionally with a replacement HID compatable reflector & lens, an after market backyard fitting of HID usually results in a warm fuzzy feeling for the owner who's just fitted them & a serious nuisance factor or danger to other road users. HID driving/spot lights is another matter & converted properly are useful additional safety assets, used wisely. If you need better headlight power, then why not upgrade your loom & run higher watt Hi/Low bulbs?

Rob's DX
14th June 2012, 10:37 PM
Hi O4off,
Thanks for the heads up on the HID, I haven't gone that way.
What globes do you run in your GU? I have a 2007 Dx. I do a reasonable amount of night driving to and from work and we live approx 20K's out of town on a very busy road. Therefore we are almost always on low beam. The trouble is that the lights are so yellow and sull that in the rain you have difficulty making out the road aheead of you. Hence why I started searching for HID etc to overcome the issue.
I can see that Narva have 50+ up to 120+ globes. Does anyone know if these actually work? The daniels lighting guy mentions that all of the manufacturers have similar products however doesn't actually comment on the ammount of increased performance.
Cheers
Rob