PDA

View Full Version : 2.8 operating temp

patrol2.8
9th April 2012, 11:33 PM
Does any one know the normal operating temp for a gu 2.8 fitting up custom shroud with el falcon twin thermos on my 2.8 would the thermos cutting in at 70 deg be to early

dan&tamspatrol
10th April 2012, 12:44 AM
just found this http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?3934-2.8td-running-temp
dont know if it helps

patrol2.8
14th April 2012, 11:54 AM
Thanks for that will take a look ive started the conversion so hpefully all will be good

dan&tamspatrol
14th April 2012, 07:48 PM
no prob hope it helps

patrol2.8
15th April 2012, 10:23 PM
Read theough it and decided to go with a temp control so i can find and set the temp manually to what suits the old girl best

brucemacca
20th April 2012, 06:31 PM
Hey patrol2.8,
The manual says that the thermostat is set to open around 82 deg C, so you would the fans to operate higher than that or the thermostat would be opening correctly. The bypass system, through the plastic header tank would always be in operation.

brucemacca
20th April 2012, 06:34 PM
Hey patrol2.8,
The manual says that the thermostat is set to open around 82 deg C, so you would the fans to operate higher than that or the thermostat would be opening correctly. The bypass system, through the plastic header tank would always be in operation.

Just read what I wrote - would want thermo fans higher than - thermostat would not operate correctly. The bypass - inlet at top, out small hose to plastic bottle, back to cylinder block .

patrol2.8
21st April 2012, 09:03 PM
Thanks for that Brucemacca think i have them comming on too early ive got an aftermarket temp guage on order just waiting for it to arrive so i can get them set ok hard to judge with out it

robbo0001
21st April 2012, 09:16 PM
Had first decent run with the ECU Talk running in the GU today....Fan ON at 87 degrees, engine ran a constant 84-87,peaked at 91 on a uphill climb in 3rd.

patrol2.8
22nd April 2012, 06:57 PM
No worries ive got the ecu talk on the list had to pass on this batch as the boss needs an op and the gap payment os huge

patrol2.8
21st May 2012, 10:19 PM
Just wondering if this has happend to anyone else basicly the top hose outlet snapped off also attached a pic of my temp guage does this seem normal for a 2.8 car runs good has no weird smells etc outside temp was about 15-17 deg and just suburban running just installed the guage

robbo0001
22nd May 2012, 06:25 AM
Mate, this had already happenend on our rig, and been bodgied up by the previous owner with a zip tie for tension and two hose clamps.
Apparently the plastic in the header tank is gets very brittle with age, I mananged to snap off the overflow bottle plastic outlet....cost me a new radiator but at least I NOW know the radiator is good, at 220000kms.
Ours runs a consistent 87 degrees C around town, offroad and on the highway. That looks to be around 95, which may be high. If your radiator is old enough for the plastic to be snapping offf easily it might be time for a new one.
If in doubt, or it gets hotter than that...I would just change out the whole radiator, after giving the engine a really good flush. Your coolant temmps may be "up" due to a restricted coolant system.

patrol2.8
22nd May 2012, 01:38 PM
Mate, this had already happenend on our rig, and been bodgied up by the previous owner with a zip tie for tension and two hose clamps.
Apparently the plastic in the header tank is gets very brittle with age, I mananged to snap off the overflow bottle plastic outlet....cost me a new radiator but at least I NOW know the radiator is good, at 220000kms.
Ours runs a consistent 87 degrees C around town, offroad and on the highway. That looks to be around 95, which may be high. If your radiator is old enough for the plastic to be snapping offf easily it might be time for a new one.
If in doubt, or it gets hotter than that...I would just change out the whole radiator, after giving the engine a really good flush. Your coolant temmps may be "up" due to a restricted coolant system.
Thanks Robbo
I saw your other post about temp does seem a bit high i actually had to grab a 2nd hand radiator which i gave a good flush out it out of a late model 3.0ltr gu will be getting it pressure checked think the temp guage is in accurate as i can hold the top of the radiator and bottom hose is cold maybe thermostat not opening fully or opens at a hotter temp ? its new so should be ok

patrol2.8
20th June 2012, 01:57 PM
Found my aftermarket guage is 6 degrees out i bought the ecutalk lcd unit and car runs at 84 degrees