PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent exhaust smoke (lots) 4.8 petrol

oncedisturbed
9th April 2012, 08:13 PM
As the heading says, my GU is blowing huge amounts of smoke intermittantly. Usually if it has been idling for a few minutes. What has got me stuffes is it had the 80k service down 3-4 weeks ago by nissan and has only started to occur over the last week or 2.

Have no idea what the cause is, possibly injectors or running to rich but not sure.

Any ideas as I amnot keen going back to nissan as they stuffed me round.

Bigrig
9th April 2012, 09:24 PM
What colour smoke boss??

Diesel or oil burning??? Hopefully not something worse (water?).

Over fuelling could be the cause (one of the best of the worst causes) and there could be a variety of reasons for that. It can cause the head to crak though as the egt will sky rocket so needs to be looked at ASAP. Black smoke is a give away, and whilst short bursts are ok, once it's heated up, prolonged black smoke could indicate the pump is whacking too much diesel in there - can root the pistons also .. usually occurs when the injection timing is set too late and the fuel isn't completely burned ... could be mixture issue etc.

Burning oil .. Hmmmm .. blue smoke which can mean the rings and seals on the pistons are shot ... usually when it's cold though ... major issue if doing it warm.

White smoke can be incorrect timing and unburnt fuel also, but can also be stuffed injectors, engine compression issue or worse ...

Hopefully I'm being far more dramatic than the actual issue mate - but essentially no smoke issue from a well tuned diesel should be taken lightly .. they all mean something is wrong ...

Bigrig
9th April 2012, 09:33 PM
Sh!t ... went to all that trouble to respond and didn't realise it was petrol ... lmao!!!!

Sooo ... now we've sorted the diesel issues .... lmfao!!!!

Righto ... petrol bigrig, petrol ... too many drinks have messed me up!!!

Would go incorrect mixtures mate once warm - any power loss?? Only on idle or through rev range also??

Smoke from a petrol (very generally speaking) is over fuelling and the excess fuel isn't being burnt off ... injectors?? Doubt it. Fuel pump?? Doubt it. Other mechanically minded folk on here would have better advice than me, but possibly thermostat temp sensor is stuffed sending incorrect signal once warm and the truck is throwing fuel in thinking its cold ... Could be MAF and/or O2 sensor dirty/stuffed also ...

I'd go MAF or O2 sensor if only on idle - if any power loss/hesitance/smoke through acceleration etc then I'd be looking at thermostat temp sensor as this is what occurred when mine went. Try cleaning MAF first, and if possible throw a consult unit on it to see any error codes - both thermostat temp sensor and O2 sensor should throw up error codes ...

Hopefully others can assist more than my drunken suggestions mate!!! lol

04OFF
9th April 2012, 09:50 PM
Temp or 02 sensor would be my guess as well, as Scotty also suggests, need to get/check for any codes before doing much else

Ade
9th April 2012, 10:34 PM
Sh!t ... went to all that trouble to respond and didn't realise it was petrol ... lmao!!!!

Sooo ... now we've sorted the diesel issues .... lmfao!!!!

Righto ... petrol bigrig, petrol ... too many drinks have messed me up!!!

Would go incorrect mixtures mate once warm - any power loss?? Only on idle or through rev range also??

Smoke from a petrol (very generally speaking) is over fuelling and the excess fuel isn't being burnt off ... injectors?? Doubt it. Fuel pump?? Doubt it. Other mechanically minded folk on here would have better advice than me, but possibly thermostat temp sensor is stuffed sending incorrect signal once warm and the truck is throwing fuel in thinking its cold ... Could be MAF and/or O2 sensor dirty/stuffed also ...

I'd go MAF or O2 sensor if only on idle - if any power loss/hesitance/smoke through acceleration etc then I'd be looking at thermostat temp sensor as this is what occurred when mine went. Try cleaning MAF first, and if possible throw a consult unit on it to see any error codes - both thermostat temp sensor and O2 sensor should throw up error codes ...

Hopefully others can assist more than my drunken suggestions mate!!! lol

Funny bloke you are mate..that avatar of yours, hehehehehe.. made my day..love it!!! :bigthumbup:

oncedisturbed
10th April 2012, 11:34 AM
Cheers guys, the smoke is on take off / acceleration (lots) then clears from there but not always present. The smoke is white / grey in colour and almost has a burnt rubber smell to it.

There is also a slight loss of power again not always present

45/70
11th April 2012, 01:53 PM
Could it be a chitty batch of fuel mate?

Clunk
11th April 2012, 02:06 PM
I know you don't want to but I'd be taking it back to Nissan unless you have one of those fault code reader thingumyjigs

Gas_Guzzler4800
12th April 2012, 07:46 AM
Is it on gas with an upper cylinder lube kit fitted?

Is it using brake fluid? Pop off the vacuum hose from the brake booster and block it off. start it up and see if the smoke clears

Is it misfiring? Could be a faulty injector or two allowing raw fuel into the combustion chamber. Very common on magna's but havent seen it on a 4.8 Patrol as yet

oncedisturbed
14th April 2012, 03:15 PM
had the local mechanic check it out the other day, gauge read all ok and running as per normal. no problems registered at all. going to clean MAF sensor on monday and see if that helps out. threw a bottle of wynn's injector cleaner through it as well and it seems to have settled down so hopefully it will clear or will end up getting injectors cleaned