PDA

View Full Version : New GQ owner

Lancec2626
8th April 2012, 09:18 PM
Hi Guys,

I have recently become the proud owner of a 97 GQ. I am new to this and it is purely a weekend warrior and something to give me the ability to pick my daughter up from day care with out getting wet when it rains.

My daily driver is a 450hp 2010 SSV VE ute so this is something a little different.

i have just put some 33 inch STT's and 15inch rims, will do a lift soon.

Any advise on what lift would be great.

Cheers

Lance

Bigrig
8th April 2012, 10:06 PM
G'day mate and welcome aboard - great people, information and laughs to be found on here, so join in to make the most of it!!!

Enjoy!!

Clunk
8th April 2012, 10:10 PM
Gday mate welcome aboard

timbar
8th April 2012, 10:25 PM
Welcome aboard mate

tappa crappin

Dhuck
9th April 2012, 10:54 AM
Welcome to the forum mate.

Maxhead
9th April 2012, 12:05 PM
G'Day and welcome to the forum mate

growler2058
9th April 2012, 02:54 PM
G’day mate welcome aboard, gotta friendly mob here fulla great info and advice

Lancec2626
9th April 2012, 09:01 PM
THanks guys, great response. Looking forward to getting to know you all.

I have just put 33's on with stock suspension. Ill lift it soon. Has any one had any problems with this

Cheers

Lance

bazzad
9th April 2012, 10:02 PM
G'Day Lance,
Your 33's should be fine. As for which lift and how high? There's as many choices as members i reckon. 2 inch is a good place to start,Its easy and it will give those 33s plenty of room to move. I would suggest talking to a couple of suppliers and then go with the one that you think has shown some experience with what you want. Anyone can read a parts book but sometimes it doesn't work as the theory says it should.
One other thing, if you are mainly running around town empty don't get the heavy duty springs just in case you might need them one day.
One of best riding GQs i have been in was running a basic 2inch Dobinson kit and it went real good off road.
Thats my 2 cents worth welcome and good luck.

GU4.2
10th April 2012, 12:31 AM
Hi lance, welcome
I had a GQ with stt's and a 2" lift it was fantastic. If yours an auto I would reccomend a tranny cooler and a torque converter lockup switch. I installed one on mine and it worked well with the bigger tread.

Good luck, cheers Matt

45/70
10th April 2012, 12:37 AM
Howdy Lance and welcome.

For your lift, give these blokes a try.

http://www.suspensionstuff.com.au/shop/product_info.php?cPath=137_40_68&products_id=2879

Just be careful mate, after driving that old Commodore around you might want to drive the Patrol with the handbrake on a bit just to get use too power.:icon_driving:

Finly Owner
11th April 2012, 11:18 PM
Hi and welcome to Nissans Nut House Lance

Tim

Tweakedoffroad
12th April 2012, 12:14 PM
G'day mate welcome aboard great bunch with some good info and advice here so feel free to jump in and contribute were you can

bend089
26th May 2012, 08:03 AM
Look forward to seeing your progress!
I have 15 inch wheels on mine as well, apparently it makes the acceleration better and puts the speedo out -10%, also any ideas on the best tyres for road use on 15s?

AB
27th May 2012, 03:40 PM
Welcome to the forum mate, feel free to ask any questions and join in the conversations.

wildgu6
27th May 2012, 04:01 PM
G'day & welcome aboard mate
Great lot here with tons of advice and adventures and experiences,
Hang around, ask away and Join in where ever you feel comfortable.

Enjoy, Cheers Pete

Yappa Tappa Doo

simdogs
27th May 2012, 08:55 PM
Welcome aboard mate, there's a few threads on here regarding suspension so maybe browse them when you get a chance

Blacklotusdog
27th May 2012, 10:04 PM
Hey mate, welcome, hope you enjoy your stay

4.2trol
27th May 2012, 10:27 PM
welcome mate sounds like u got a couple of beasts have fun

Lancec2626
8th July 2013, 02:00 AM
Hi Guys, Thanks for all your the kind messages.... ill be sure to pick all of your brains over time....

Pretty embarressed as this is well over a year since you all responded. Haha. So my apologies for not working out the how the forum thing works prior. So its been a big year and the GQ has changed a lot....
Since the STT's have done the following

- 5"inch mega lift, drop boxes pan hards, upper and lower control arms, upgraded pan hard, tie rod, drag link and HD steering dampener
- Custom draw system with built in sub box and Amp, fridge slide and 47L fridge, plenty of 12v sockets
- Custom drop down barn door table with LED strip lights
- Roof racks
-50' light bar, 24' light bar on bulbar and 7" work light at the back
- Safari Snorkel
-3'inch exhaust and custom tune
-Awning, Hi lift jack etc
- ARB air compressor
- 1000W Inverter
- 20L water with water pump

Plus loads more.

Haha its been a busy year. looking forward to doing some long weekend trips soon.

Cheers
Lance

NissanGQ4.2
8th July 2013, 06:34 AM
Welcome 2 the forum Lance

Great bunch of members on here always willing 2 help out when they can

Enjoy the forum and what it has 2 offer

Cheers

Todd

growler2058
8th July 2013, 08:35 AM
G'day! Welcome aboard shiploads of good info here.

Sent by dealing with motorcrap

MEGOMONSTER
8th July 2013, 08:40 AM
Welcome mate, surely the best forum on the net. If you need it, you can get it, if you want to know it, just ask it.
If you want to find it, go to the search bar for a universe of information.
Enjoy the sights and sounds of the greatest show on earth.

Bloodyaussie
8th July 2013, 09:22 AM
Welcome aboard mate...............

Drewboyaus
8th July 2013, 09:54 AM
LMAO.....
So much for the 2 inch lift and picking the kids up from daycare duties!
LMAO.....
Addictive as crack playing with these things, isn't it?

Tip tip tip......tap tap tap....

threedogs
8th July 2013, 10:39 AM
Hi Lance and welcome to the forum, 2" will see you go most places with 33" tyres.
After that you may need to get it engineered, so A PITB. Also fitting a locker to the front
will see it nearly un stoppable, rear LSD one of best in the business, Jump in anytime
and enjoy

Timmo
10th July 2013, 10:21 PM
Welcome to the forum hope you enjoy

Lancec2626
15th July 2013, 10:42 PM
Haha yea mate I've been laugh all year. Wallet doesn't feet the same though. Very addictive hobby indeed. Not enough time to get out and enjoy her at the moment but hopefully that will change soon.