PDA

View Full Version : 1 head light stays on????

Breaks
8th April 2012, 01:07 PM
so i get up this mornin, put sum rubbish in the bin, turn around an my rigs winking at me... the left head light was on?? opened the car up, light switch was off so i hadnt left the lights on and it wasnt on at 5am this mornin wen i went out to open my van. so between 5 an 8 this mornin its randomly come on and stayed on. ive disconnected the wiring from the back of it for now but has any1 had this hapn to them b4? i dont wana have to go thru whole wiring to figure it out if i dont hav to lol =/

Yendor
8th April 2012, 01:24 PM
Your truck is possessed.......time for an exorcism. lol

The problem is more then likely with the contacts in your headlight switch.

You can either pull it apart and clean and re-adjust the contacts or replace the switch.

Breaks
8th April 2012, 02:26 PM
by switch do u mean the stalk switch hangin off the side of the steering wheel or the relay?

the evil twin
8th April 2012, 04:00 PM
by switch do u mean the stalk switch hangin off the side of the steering wheel or the relay?

The stalk switch...

GQ's don't have Headlight Relays unless someone fitted them after market (which is a good mod by teh way)

Breaks
8th April 2012, 05:31 PM
The stalk switch...

GQ's don't have Headlight Relays unless someone fitted them after market (which is a good mod by teh way)

intersting lil bit of trivia there, cheers.
looks like im muckin around with that 2moz.

Yendor
8th April 2012, 05:58 PM
Yes the stalk switch,

If you are running higher wattage bulbs it would be a good idea to upgrade the wiring to the headlights and fit relays.

Breaks
8th April 2012, 06:02 PM
i dont know if the bulbs r higher wattage to b honest? rnt the gqs sealed beam lights?

Yendor
8th April 2012, 06:09 PM
If yours has sealed beams then thats fine.

thebeatjackson
8th April 2012, 10:43 PM
I'm having the same problem. Mine certainly seems to be coming from the stalk switch, as I can turn it off and on by wiggling it gently, this to me eliminates the rest of the circuit. I've been taking the fuses out (the two bottom fuses on the left hand side of the fuse box if it's the same as the diesel you can probably just take the offending one out, but i've been taking both out for good measure) because it sometimes comes on by itself, that is until I get around to fixing it!

thebeatjackson
8th April 2012, 10:48 PM
there she goes
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=13694&d=1331973095

the evil twin
9th April 2012, 12:29 AM
Given that the total cost to fit 2 relays, 2 fuses and the wiring is about $30 DIY and the advantages are brighter Headlights (you get the full Alternator voltage) and reduced current thru the stalk (IE milliamps instead of 10 Amps) it is one of the first Mods anyone should fit to a GQ.

The second mod would be to rrrsehole the sealed beams and fit semi-sealed with +100 bulbs and you will be amazed how much it improves the lighting.

If anyone does put semi-sealed lenses in... DO NOT put the larger wattage globes (90/100's or 90/130's) unless you mod the wiring. The Stalk Switch and the Earths at the Headlights can't handle the extra current for very long at all.

Breaks
13th April 2012, 11:34 AM
Given that the total cost to fit 2 relays, 2 fuses and the wiring is about $30 DIY and the advantages are brighter Headlights (you get the full Alternator voltage) and reduced current thru the stalk (IE milliamps instead of 10 Amps) it is one of the first Mods anyone should fit to a GQ.

The second mod would be to rrrsehole the sealed beams and fit semi-sealed with +100 bulbs and you will be amazed how much it improves the lighting.

If anyone does put semi-sealed lenses in... DO NOT put the larger wattage globes (90/100's or 90/130's) unless you mod the wiring. The Stalk Switch and the Earths at the Headlights can't handle the extra current for very long at all.

i got the prob sorted, stripped and cleaned it but i think im guna do this now, cheers for that!! ^^