PDA

View Full Version : How to connect roofrack lamps

Bodek G
7th April 2012, 01:30 AM
Do I need to make holes in the roof for cables?

teno45
7th April 2012, 03:17 AM
Only other way I've seen is loose cable though a door jam. Looks heaps better a nice hole in the
Roof, just pick an inconspicuous spot in the roof.

HammerBuilder
7th April 2012, 08:05 PM
I run mine down drivers side over the gutter then squeezes in beside the side window rubber then goes inside through the side vent . Inside it goes straight down to an extra switch via a relay & is also connected to the reverse lights.

No drilling so therefore no rust
& the wires aren't that noticeable & don't come free or so far they haven't after 65,000k

Bodek G
8th April 2012, 08:37 PM
Thanks for all advices.

CostasDee
13th April 2012, 08:44 PM
I went to Bunnings & bought a electrical wire plastic thingy that was about 1.5cm wide and about 0.5cm deep and was about 1.5m long for about $7 if I remember right. It has double sided tape on one side and I cut the length I needed to reach from the top gutter to the bonnet (I mounted one on each side of the A pillars next to the windscreen). I then ran the cable from the roof rack, through the plastic thingy, through the gap in the panels and through the firewall to my switch.
I can take a photo if you like, but I found this way I don't have to drill holes of risk squashing the wires. Plus I have enough room to pass about 5 thickish wires each side (not that I need to cause I prefer LED lights).