PDA

View Full Version : Any tilers forrum buddies here??

LittleJohn
6th April 2012, 09:20 AM
Hi y'all !
Due to still not being able to get onto an old 4x4 forum site still,( ive now totally given up sadly)
i cannot contact a forum buddie from there who is a tiler, his name is Jacket.( hope he's well/ top bloke)

Anyhow, i trust someone here may know, and can assist me in some way.

Im now rapidly purchasing everything to re do my bathrooms. HOO RAYYYYYYYYY finally.
Im gonna blueboard the walls, and waterproof em etc, but my question is...

In one bathroom, im wonderring if i can tile ontop of tile on the floor,
as it has the very same tiles throughout the whole house, 155sq of it,
and i had to jackhammer all of it myself to put timber floors.

This particular tile in that one bathroom ( being stuck to the slab) is an outright fully sik maaaate PAIN
to remove.

I know its sorts not right to tile ontop, but i sorta need the elevation as im tiling the shower base too,
and need the tilt.

Can i do it?

Ie. if so do i have to scour or grind into the previous tile to adhere the new ones?
The current ones in that one bathroom are a terracotta type tile.

If anyone wants to assist and needs more info to get a conclusion, im only too willing to explain further.

Thanks everyone for this opportunity ( what a suck ) LOL's

Clunk
6th April 2012, 10:01 AM
Sorrymate but I know muffins...... But it sound like something I'd do lol....... My thoughts would be, if you can paint over tile, why not tile over tile lol

LittleJohn
6th April 2012, 10:04 AM
Nothing worse than a tile popping up and ruining everything ... possibly, welll... dunno really if it would.

But im gonna exhaust every option before , so i can avoid jack hammerring thems f'ers again..
theyre really that hard to lift/.

Clunk
6th April 2012, 10:14 AM
How much elevation do you need? Coz I'm thinking ( yes I know it's dangerous for everyone around me when I think).... if it can be done, is to put down a layer of screed over the tiles first, so you get a nice smooth base again, then tile over that................ Or just concrete over the top, polish it so all nice n shiny, then seal it

97_gq_lwb
6th April 2012, 11:50 AM
We tiled over tiles used a special glue.
Had to rough up the surface of the tiles underneath i just went over them with a tile cutting disc on the angle grinder.