PDA

View Full Version : light/sketchy steering

Breaks
5th April 2012, 07:08 PM
this is an out of curiosity question, my gq feels really REALLY light on the steering but at the same time its quite sketchy? by this i mean u can turn the steering wheel a bit (maybe an inch or 2) before it responds n turns the wheels but wen it does kick in it shifts quite quick. real hard to explain but i hope u get wot i mean, juz doesnt feel rite to me!? its got a 2" suspension lift with springs an shocks but everything else is standard (im pretty sure)? wot could b causing this feeling????

the ferret
5th April 2012, 07:18 PM
Could be worn tie rod ends, worn steering box, worn king pins/bushes, loose steering box, drag link etc.
Get under and have someone turn the wheel so you can see what's going on.
Cheers, the ferret.

dan&tamspatrol
5th April 2012, 07:21 PM
mate of mine has same problem and his tie rods need replacing

Breaks
5th April 2012, 07:30 PM
ill get under there 2moz n check it out, cheers blokes!

MudRunnerTD
5th April 2012, 08:24 PM
How long have you had the car? How old is the lift? Did you fit it?

I'd be getting a front end alignment and get them to check your Caster angle. It sounds like Oversteer. You may need caster bushes.

taslucas
5th April 2012, 08:34 PM
Yep. I agree with mudrunner about the caster. Have a look at the bushes to see if the bolt is central or off centre. If it's central then it's standard and probably in need of castor correction

tappn it

Breaks
5th April 2012, 10:01 PM
I've only had it bout a week n a half? Susp is bout 9months old according to last owner who also fitted it. Was just lockin it up and was sittin in it n moved the steering wheel as I got out and there was heaps of "play" in it turning wise before there was any resistance (was turned off), that's not normal is it? My last rig had firm responsive movement in the wheel not a loose sloppy feel.

Breaks
6th April 2012, 03:24 PM
So had a bit of a look under the trol this mornin and I rekon the panhard bushes, sway bar bushes and and tie rod ends could all do wit replacing so wen I get so more time off I'll get stuck into it! Are there beta after market bits for this or should I juz use normal ones??

taslucas
6th April 2012, 11:24 PM
So had a bit of a look under the trol this mornin and I rekon the panhard bushes, sway bar bushes and and tie rod ends could all do wit replacing so wen I get so more time off I'll get stuck into it! Are there beta after market bits for this or should I juz use normal ones??

Most people recomend going with the genuine rubber bushes. The nolothane ones seem to wear out quicker.

pjwooly
9th April 2012, 10:32 PM
mine wandered around on the road cos it had 2" spacers in the springs with the 2" spring lift.Casters corrected only for the spring lift.Have had the car for 11yrs,and never knew they were in there...the shocks were capput and on complete replacement of springs and shocks was reccomended to me to take the "packers" out.Rides beautiful now.

Just my 5c worth.