PDA

View Full Version : Near new shocks stuffed

bordertech
5th April 2012, 10:39 AM
Near new shocks got no resistance (http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=172&t=128690#p1566868)

My rear shocks after sitting idle for a while have no resistance unless you bounce the rear end hard about 10 times. Then they go back to no resistance again until some decent bumps are encountered and it's like they "bleed up" again. Have been like it since last Christmas when I first noticed it.

It's a bit dangerous because it affects the handling eg body roll. Shocks were fitted new in Oct 2011 and have done about 5000kms including about 2000kms in the SA outback "roads" but was taking it easy and running 26 psi in the rear tyres.
There's no signs of oil leaks so I'm guessing they faded and are stuffed and lost gas pressure as well.
The front ones are the same brand but are fine. I'm putting new foam cells of a different brand on the rear today and will see how they go.

Keen to hear others views of why the shocks would do this after such a short period. Not going to name the brand so don't bother asking as I'm yet to send them back and see what they will do about it.
Cheers, Dave

97_gq_lwb
5th April 2012, 11:15 AM
I Have been experiencing issues with a lot of aftermarket parts myself lately shocks included.
Funny thing is i have what appears to be genuine original factory gq rear shocks here that still work fine.
I now look to buy genuine and pay a little extra on most items or research brand names and problems via google to see if others have had a bad experience with them before buying.
Nothing better then people outing manufacturers that are selling poorly built rubbish that fails prematurely it saves others from the same experience.

Robo
5th April 2012, 12:51 PM
The aftermarket people have caught onto the fact there's money to be made in cheap imports and volume sales .
And the simple fact we poor sods seem to believe the marketing hype in glossy mags.

honest271
12th April 2012, 07:59 PM
Just go and buy some Koni's from the start and no more problems had them on mine(GQ ute aftermarket turbo 3" ex and sus mod's) for about 12yr's rebuilt a coupla times no drama and thats virtually loaded with caravan on back most of the time. Works for us.
cheers honest

zmaster
12th April 2012, 08:51 PM
I'll second that, can't beet Koni's, they are built for big, heavy trucks, you can rebuild them for next to nothing and fine tune them.

97_gq_lwb
12th April 2012, 09:32 PM
Funny you mention koni's i was talking with a mate last night about shocks he purchased ironman shocks off ebay said they were absolute junk worse then the worn out originals.
The seller actually replaced them for him with koni and he loved them.

Robo
13th April 2012, 10:21 AM
Id have to say OME are rubbish also.
I drive a truck for a living.
Patrol unloaded= bone jarring .ome from new.
A empty horse float = ill-controlled bounce.
This = Rubbish valves and probably lack of oil.
M2c